Author Topic: Price of Beef and Bacon Reach All-Time High  (Read 1393 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Price of Beef and Bacon Reach All-Time High
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/price-beef-and-bacon-reach-all-time-high

Price of Beef and Bacon Reach All-Time High
July 22, 2014 - 11:14 AM
By Ali Meyer

(CNSNews.com) - The price of beef and bacon hit its all-time high in the United States in June, according to data released Tuesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).

In January 1980, when BLS started tracking the price of these commodities, ground chuck cost $1.82 per pound and bacon cost $1.45 per pound. By this June 2014, ground chuck cost $3.91 per pound and bacon cost $6.11 per pound.

A decade ago, in June 2004, a pound of ground chuck cost $2.49, which means that the commodity has increased by 57 percent since then. Bacon has increased by 78.7 percent from the $3.42 it cost in June 2004 to the $6.11 it costs now.

In one month, beef increased from $3.85 in May 2014 to $3.91 in June 2014. Bacon increased from $6.05 in May 2014 to $6.11 in June 2014.

Each month, the BLS employs data collectors to visit thousands of retail stores all over the United States to obtain information on the prices of thousands of items to measure changes for the Consumer Price Index (CPI). The CPI is simply the average change over time in prices paid by consumers for a market basket of goods and services.

The BLS found that there was a 0.1 percent change in the food index in June, which tracks foods like meats, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy, as well as many others. “The index for meats, poultry, fish, and eggs increased in June, though its 0.2 percent increase was its smallest since December,” stated BLS.

“The index for food at home has increased 2.4 percent over the past year, with the index for meats, poultry, fish and eggs up 7.5 percent,” BLS stated.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Re: Price of Beef and Bacon Reach All-Time High
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:01:45 pm »
I hear people whine about the economy all the time. They whine as they pile into their SUV to go on a beach vacation. They whine as they go out to dinner for the 4th time in a week. They whine as they try to figure out which smartphone and data plan will work for the entire family, including the 4 year old.

I hate to say it, and I hate to see it, but until Americans have real existential worries, nothing will change, and communists will rule the day.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 07:21:47 pm »
First world problems.  **nononono*
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 07:22:57 pm »
First world problems.  **nononono*

there's no call for that.  taking that view would make the gripes about Obuttocks nothing more than first world problems as well; i.e., minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things that discerning folk ought not complain about.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:23:34 pm by Oceander »

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:27:36 pm »
there's no call for that.  taking that view would make the gripes about Obuttocks nothing more than first world problems as well; i.e., minor quibbles in the grand scheme of things that discerning folk ought not complain about.

I disagree. All it that is saying to me is Americans have trouble figuring out what is really important.
The results of November 2012 would seem to bolster that claim.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 07:28:34 pm »

There is always a call for that. Every single time, without fail.

Reminds you how good you got it and that you should make the effort to keep it.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:35 pm »
There is always a call for that. Every single time, without fail.

Reminds you how good you got it and that you should make the effort to keep it.

Blow it out your a$$.  My forebears worked damned hard to make sure they built a country in which I and my children and grandchildren could live a respectable, first world life - thank God for the Greatest Generation - and the fact that inflation is beginning to do serious damage to that patrimony is something to complain about.

I've got it good because my ancestors worked hard - earned it for me - and not because of some indulgence on the part of someone else (like the government).  I'm entitled to complain when others' stupidity starts damaging that inheritance.

As for the rest of the world that has it hard:  I'm sorry, but there's not much I can do about it with my limited resources; I'll not waste my resources on applying band-aids to the suppurating, gangrenous wounds that part of the world suffers from and leave my family going without - things are hard enough as it is right now.

Quite honestly, if "we" want to see the plight of the world's neediest countries improve, then we ought to resurrect the old British Empire in all its glory and set it loose on those countries.  I find it no mere accident that most of the successful countries (those outside of Europe) are countries that were founded by, or substantially altered by, the British Empire.  Even South Africa, for all the damage apartheid did, still inherited enough from the British that it hasn't (yet) devolved into another Zimbabwe.

What will not substantially help them is running around applying band-aids to things nor providing foreign aid that either goes to the pockets of the corrupt, or frees up other resources that themselves end up going to the pockets of the corrupt.  Providing medical aid in third world hell-hole war zones is definitely of the highest moral order, but it will never change the underlying fundamentals that continue to feed that conflict - it will never create the conditions that would lead a violence-wracked third world country to the comforts of first world whinging.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:42:49 pm by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:57:22 pm »
Be honest with you? We are damned tired.  :shrug:

You know the whole blood and treasure thing that gets thrown around, rightly or wrongly (usually wrongly)? You guys have had it for 60 years. We had it for 800 without a break. We earned our time out. Everyone has to retire some time - and in the main we did it peacefully.

The Pax Brittanica would work still, but we no longer have the will. It's your problem now.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 08:05:23 pm »
Be honest with you? We are damned tired.  :shrug:

You know the whole blood and treasure thing that gets thrown around, rightly or wrongly (usually wrongly)? You guys have had it for 60 years. We had it for 800 without a break. We earned our time out. Everyone has to retire some time - and in the main we did it peacefully.

The Pax Brittanica would work still, but we no longer have the will. It's your problem now.

I'm not saying it could be restored - the British of today are no longer the British of the Empire, that is one breed that truly died with the end of World War II - all I am saying is that the techniques and methods the Empire used in administering its territories - for whatever reason (I have speculations but no clear theories) - imparted to the native subjects a sense of peaceful self-governance at the local and national levels that survived the departure of the British.  I am thinking here of, first and foremost, the United States, but also the commonwealth countries such as Canada, Australia, India, and even South Africa (to an extent).  The modern Indian government wasn't invented out of whole cloth by Gandhi and the Indians after the British decamped; the peculiarities of British governance had imprinted themselves so heavily on the Indians that they built their own government on much the same model.

The trouble is, of course, that the British Empire, by whomever embodied, cannot ever be restored; that time is past for the foreseeable future.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 08:20:48 pm »
Looking at it in terms of total theory - why not?  :laugh:

There were 4 parts to the Pax.

Local religions would not be disturbed unless they disturbed the peace. If that happened, well - we got a reputation as the nastiest fighters on the planet for a reason.

Local customs were also respected, within the framework of the law. The practice of suttee virtually stopped after the first half dozen executions.

One law for all. Everyone had the same law. Everyone had the same rights. I got some serious words about John Hancock, but they are not appropriate here.

We had a monarch that was not dealing with day to day shit. He or she was a bit like the Emperor. You respected them and hated the prime minister or governor.

Of course - there is a final aspect. We fight like rabid weasels with each other, and go into honey badger mode with strangers. Total, unthinking violence.

Can the USA do that?

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 08:25:10 pm »
Looking at it in terms of total theory - why not?  :laugh:

There were 4 parts to the Pax.

Local religions would not be disturbed unless they disturbed the peace. If that happened, well - we got a reputation as the nastiest fighters on the planet for a reason.

Local customs were also respected, within the framework of the law. The practice of suttee virtually stopped after the first half dozen executions.

One law for all. Everyone had the same law. Everyone had the same rights. I got some serious words about John Hancock, but they are not appropriate here.

We had a monarch that was not dealing with day to day shit. He or she was a bit like the Emperor. You respected them and hated the prime minister or governor.

Of course - there is a final aspect. We fight like rabid weasels with each other, and go into honey badger mode with strangers. Total, unthinking violence.

Can the USA do that?

Yes, but the laws were British and the governance was British; local governmental practices that were antithetical to British practices did not long survive.  And the British were most definitely in charge of their colonies; there was no pretense about the natives really being in control or of the British somehow trying to nation-build a la Iraq, but as a practical matter they left a series of nations in their wake.

In other words, the relationship of colony to Empire was a necessary prerequisite.  And it is that relationship that simply cannot be had today, not for love or money.  It goes without saying that no country, including the US, can accomplish that.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:25:40 pm by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 08:40:36 pm »

Yes, but the laws were British and the governance was British; local governmental practices that were antithetical to British practices did not long survive.  And the British were most definitely in charge of their colonies; there was no pretense about the natives really being in control or of the British somehow trying to nation-build a la Iraq, but as a practical matter they left a series of nations in their wake.

In other words, the relationship of colony to Empire was a necessary prerequisite.  And it is that relationship that simply cannot be had today, not for love or money.  It goes without saying that no country, including the US, can accomplish that.

I disagree from my extensively zero foreign policy experience.

It's doable. Just different. The British empire was mostly "You will do this or we will eat your balls." It was crude, it were also effective, the honey badger option. Worked, so no dissing it.

Now you need the carrot not the stick. The stick has to be there though, and the current assholes are carrying a straw,

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 08:45:31 pm »
I disagree from my extensively zero foreign policy experience.

It's doable. Just different. The British empire was mostly "You will do this or we will eat your balls." It was crude, it were also effective, the honey badger option. Worked, so no dissing it.

Now you need the carrot not the stick. The stick has to be there though, and the current assholes are carrying a straw,

Have to disagree.  The stick is absolutely necessary.  Two modern examples I can think of are Germany and Japan, both of which were bludgeoned into exhaustion and then governed with a firm hand afterward that brooked no monkey business from the natives.  I'm not saying that today's hell-holes first have to be bludgeoned into exhaustion - quite frankly, many of them have already done that to themselves - but that a certain bloody-mindedness in administration by the colonizing power is necessary.

And it is the will to use the stick that is lacking and not likely to be recovered anytime soon.