Author Topic: Tony Dungy Admits He Wouldn't Have Drafted Michael Sam, Sports Journalists Pounce  (Read 551 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/07/21/Dungy-Would-not-Have-Drafted-Sam

by Daniel J. Flynn 21 Jul 2014, 9:29 AM PDT

Tony Dungy wouldn't have drafted Michael Sam. He won't be getting a reality-television show from Oprah or a shout-out from the president for his candor.

"I wouldn't have taken him," Dungy told the Tampa Tribune. "Not because I don’t believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play, but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it."

Most NFL GMs opted to pass on Sam, too. Despite the openly gay pass rusher's appearance on Sports Illustrated and his boosters scoffing at the notion of him falling into the late rounds, the Rams selected the University of Missouri defensive end with the 249th pick on the final day of the draft. So, whether or not NFL GMs publicly second Dungy's opinion seems a moot question. Dungy is really seconding their opinion with his statement. Just four teams remained on the board when the Rams drafted Sam, so every front office in the NFL, save for those of the Cowboys, Falcons, Rams, Texans, and Bengals, can't say they would have drafted Michael Sam if given the chance. Michael Sam remained on the board when they had exhausted all of their picks. 

"It's not going to be totally smooth," the NBC Sunday Night Football analyst believes, "things will happen."

Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk.com, owned by the television network that employs Dungy, dubs the former Bucs and Colts coach's remarks "troubling." Will Brinson of CBS Sports calls Dungy's honesty a "shame" and "disappointing." A writer at SB Nation labels Dungy's assessment "spectacularly ignorant."

Now, really, what does a guy who won Super Bowls as a player and coach know about NFL locker rooms?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

I suspect Sam doesn't have the skills to make it in the NFL - but if so, will the Rams have the guts to cut him?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Truth Revolt
'World’s Worst Person’ Tony Dungy Hammered For Michael Sam Remarks
Keith Olbermann and online critics blast Dungy for saying he wouldn’t have drafted Sam
 Bradford Thomas

According to Keith Olbermann, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy is now officially the "world's worst person," and many of Dungy's online critics apparently agree.

Dungy, one of the most beloved and respected coaches in the NFL, said in an interview with The Tampa Tribune published Sunday that he would not have drafted Michael Sam, the first openly gay player in the NFL. "Not because I don't believe Michael Sam should have a chance to play,” said Dungy, “but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it,” adding, “It’s not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.’’

The comments have caused a firestorm online and on the airwaves, with many former fans of Dungy blasting his remarks as “Jim Crow-era awful,” ignorant, and cowardly, several networks condemning the comments, and Olbermann deeming him the “world’s worst person.”

In his criticism of Dungy Monday, Olbermann questioned the former coach's sincerity by pointing out that he was once awarded a traditional marriage advocacy award, and called him a hypocrite for vouching for Michael Vick and being someone who would have been passed over decades ago for similar bias against African-Americans.

“Tony Dungy just admitted that Tony Dungy wouldn’t be a skilled enough coach to deal with the distraction of doing the right thing,” concluded Olbermann.

Slate also piled on Dungy’s “late-breaking homophobia,” accusing him of contradicting his comments during the combine that all that mattered was Sam’s ability on the field.

Sam was drafted in the seventh round by the St. Louis Rams after a successful run at Missouri but mediocre scores from the NFL combine and scouts. His jersey is now the sixth bestselling jersey in the league.

Dungy has long been a supporter of traditional marriage, something for which he has been criticized in the past. Dungy, on vacation, has yet to respond to the backlash.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org