Author Topic: While Hillary Clinton offers a resume, Elizabeth Warren offers a plan BY BYRON YORK |  (Read 972 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://washingtonexaminer.com/while-hillary-clinton-offers-a-resume-elizabeth-warren-offers-a-plan/article/2551098

While Hillary Clinton offers a resume, Elizabeth Warren offers a plan
BY BYRON YORK | JULY 21, 2014 | 8:31 PM

It seems almost too obvious to mention, but presidential candidates need a clear idea of why they want to be president. In the past few days, Democrats have heard that their still-undeclared frontrunner, Hillary Clinton, needs time to think about the question. Meanwhile, another undeclared hopeful, Elizabeth Warren, is thrilling liberal audiences with a forceful, point-by-point declaration of the principles that would guide her as president. The contrast is striking.

Clinton is offering Democrats her resume. Warren is offering them a plan.

In an interview with CNN on Monday, former president Bill Clinton said his wife needs time to "think through" what she might want to accomplish if elected to the White House. "We've reached a point in our life when we think you really shouldn't run for office if you don't have a clear idea of what you can do and a unique contribution you can make and you can outline that," Bill Clinton said. "Now that the book is done, she wants time to think about that and work through it."

The former president said "this has been the first free time" in years that his wife has had to think things over. But the Hillary vision problem is nothing new; the weak spot in her White House ambitions has always been offering voters a reason she should be president. That was the case in 2008, when she presented her experience as First Lady and senator -- not her vision -- as the main argument for her candidacy. Now it appears Clinton again views her experience, this time broadened to include a term as Secretary of State, as her prime qualification for the job.

In 2008, voters chose a far less experienced candidate who presented them with a more compelling vision. They could do the same in 2016.

The latest version of that compelling vision was on display last week in Warren's address to Netroots Nation, a yearly gathering of progressive activists. Warren has not said she will run for president, despite the chants of "Run, Liz run!" that nearly drowned out her speech. But Warren sketched out where she stands and how she would govern. The ideas she presented aren't new; they're progressive boilerplate. But they are a plan.

Warren gave the crowd her by-now familiar verdict that the American economic system is "rigged." She promised to fight against the rich and powerful. She pledged "a fight over economics, a fight over privilege, a fight over power," but most importantly, "a fight over values." ("Fight" is perhaps Warren's favorite word; she used it 40 times in a 15-minute speech.)

And then Warren presented a manifesto of sorts. "We believe that Wall Street needs stronger rules and tougher enforcement, and we're willing to fight for it," she began.

"We believe in science, and that means that we have a responsibility to protect this Earth."

Warren has not said she will run for president, despite the chants of "Run, Liz run!" that nearly drowned out her speech.

"We believe that the Internet shouldn't be rigged to benefit big corporations, and that means real net neutrality."

"We believe that no one should work full-time and still live in poverty, and that means raising the minimum wage."

Warren went on to outline 11 points in all. She promised to fight for a "livable wage," to fight for relief from student debt, to fight to protect Social Security and Medicare, to fight for "equal pay for equal work," to fight for gay rights, to fight for immigration reform and to fight to overturn the Hobby Lobby decision and ensure that women "have a right to their bodies."

Of course the audience loved it. But Warren's message was more than just popular. It was a blessed relief for those activists in the more liberal corners of the Democratic Party who can't bear the idea of supporting an establishment candidate like Hillary Clinton who's gotten rich making speeches to Goldman Sachs. Warren's presence, even if she won't say she is running, is proof that there is a real alternative to Clinton.

But Warren offered the Netroots audience more than just a different face. She offered them an agenda. She didn't say she needed time to "think through" what needs to be done in this country. She didn't appear to wonder whether she should do anything at all.

Instead, Warren promised a spirited fight for specific things. Why wouldn't many Democrats prefer that to a candidate who's trying to figure out what she can contribute?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

Warren will run. Warren will be nominated and will win.

And we are toast.

Offline olde north church

It would be really keen if the GOP provided a choice.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online Lando Lincoln

Ironically, one of the things that can save us is more disasters by Obama.  What an upside down world.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Relic

Ironically, one of the things that can save us is more disasters by Obama.  What an upside down world.

But does that really save us? If all we have are lousy candidates, how can electing a crappy Republican save us?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

And we are toast.

(A), you surrender far too easily. (B) the focus is and should be on this Fall's Mid-Terms, and getting Harry Reid the hell out of being in charge of the Senate.  (C) until these elections are over, nobody is going to actually declare their run, and I fully expect a strong Republican candidate to arise and the alternative that candidate offers will clearly mark Warren as the Far Left wacko she has been all along. 

Do you really think her 11 point plan is going to play well in flyover country??

Do you really think that black voters will turn out for this white cracker old lady instead of the other old white cracker lady as the successor to Barack Obama??

If your outlook is that bleak this far out in front of the 2016 election, I recommend you remember the admonition "Down the road, NOT across the tracks"........

In the meantime....

:smokin:

Offline GourmetDan

Do you really think that black voters will turn out for this white cracker old lady instead of the other old white cracker lady as the successor to Barack Obama??

Turn out?  No.

Vote for?  Yes.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

Turn out?  No.

Vote for?  Yes.

Exactly. In fact, they'll vote for her 120% or more.

Offline GourmetDan

Exactly. In fact, they'll vote for her 120% or more.

Well yeah, if you're going to start counting all of the precincts a person is registered in.

Racist...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

(A), you surrender far too easily. (B) the focus is and should be on this Fall's Mid-Terms, and getting Harry Reid the hell out of being in charge of the Senate.  (C) until these elections are over, nobody is going to actually declare their run, and I fully expect a strong Republican candidate to arise and the alternative that candidate offers will clearly mark Warren as the Far Left wacko she has been all along. 

Do you really think her 11 point plan is going to play well in flyover country??

If your outlook is that bleak this far out in front of the 2016 election, I recommend you remember the admonition "Down the road, NOT across the tracks"........

In the meantime....

:smokin:

I don't live in the conservative fishbowl. I'm not saying you do, I'm just emphasizing that I come to my opinions based on what I see around me.

People are very unhappy with Obama. But, if Obama could run again, he'd still have a chance. Not a shoe in, but he'd have a shot. That's what I see.

Republicans have been successfully branded as lunatics. Most people wouldn't consider voting Republican because it's just not cool. It's stupid.

Republican candidates are not inspiring, and undependable. If you elect a Republican, what do you get? We have a "conservative" Republican governor in Ohio. At least he says he is. He's doing a decent job, but he's as conservative as Joe Scarborough.

The GOPe hates us. I explain that I'm more of a libertarian, but the establishment types who post here still treat me like the Ohio Tea Party chairman. I'm pretty sure that's how the GOPe views us too. It's ok, they say they can win without me. Let's see.

I get tired of our navel gazing society. Sometimes I wish for real problems so people can quit worrying about the stupidest things. Take the latest Tony Dungy "controversy". Dungy said he wouldn't want to deal with drafting Michael Sam, during a break in an interview. A throw away comment, which obviously means that Dungy wouldn't want the media circus that surrounds a gay player, when the player is a marginal talent. You'd think Dungy said gay people should be killed. It's non stop in the sports world. Ugh.

Offline Relic

Racist...

By today's standards, I'm the Grand Wizard.

Offline sinkspur

And we are toast.

You mean a woman who has lied about her lineage, is worth $15 million and tries to portray herself as "for the little guy", and an ivory-tower academic who refuses to take questions from the media?

This woman would get fried in a general campaign.  A Northeastern liberal who has nothing in common with the people she claims to "fight" for.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Relic

You mean a woman who has lied about her lineage, is worth $15 million and tries to portray herself as "for the little guy", and an ivory-tower academic who refuses to take questions from the media?

This woman would get fried in a general campaign.  A Northeastern liberal who has nothing in common with the people she claims to "fight" for.

You mean like a black man who had a shadowy existence, and raised by communists, and admittedly heavily did drugs in high school and college would get fried? A man who attended Jerimiah Wright's racist "church" for 20 years?

How did that work out.

You underestimate the power of the media. If they go all in for Warren, the public won't have a clue about her, and will vote for the "first woman" president.

Offline katzenjammer

I don't live in the conservative fishbowl. I'm not saying you do, I'm just emphasizing that I come to my opinions based on what I see around me.

People are very unhappy with Obama. But, if Obama could run again, he'd still have a chance. Not a shoe in, but he'd have a shot. That's what I see.

Republicans have been successfully branded as lunatics. Most people wouldn't consider voting Republican because it's just not cool. It's stupid.

Republican candidates are not inspiring, and undependable. If you elect a Republican, what do you get? We have a "conservative" Republican governor in Ohio. At least he says he is. He's doing a decent job, but he's as conservative as Joe Scarborough.

The GOPe hates us. I explain that I'm more of a libertarian, but the establishment types who post here still treat me like the Ohio Tea Party chairman. I'm pretty sure that's how the GOPe views us too. It's ok, they say they can win without me. Let's see.

I get tired of our navel gazing society. Sometimes I wish for real problems so people can quit worrying about the stupidest things. Take the latest Tony Dungy "controversy". Dungy said he wouldn't want to deal with drafting Michael Sam, during a break in an interview. A throw away comment, which obviously means that Dungy wouldn't want the media circus that surrounds a gay player, when the player is a marginal talent. You'd think Dungy said gay people should be killed. It's non stop in the sports world. Ugh.

I am sick and tired of it as well.  If I just consider myself, I suppose that I can "tolerate" anything considering that I've already crossed the turning point of having already lived more decades than I have left to go.  But it pisses me off to no end when I think about our children and grandchildren.  I don't want them to have to look forward to living out their decades in an ever increasing tyranny.  This country is a hollow shell of what it was around 100 years ago.

And all of this destruction and waste has been planned and purposeful, brought on slowly over time by 'both' so called parties.

I've seen enough and played along with it enough.  I've had my fill and am simply not going to cooperate any longer.  If a candidate emerges at any level that I think stands for what I believe in (and think is all that is, as I, like the rest of us, have no real insight into most of these people, we can only go by what they say and the image that is crafted by their handlers), I will support her/him to the best of my ability.  But I will no longer vote simply for one party because everyone tells me the 'other' party will be so bad.  That line of thinking and acting is a big part of what has gotten us to this point, the 'left v. right' paradigm has played out superbly in that regard (and I watch it playing out even more clearly every day).  No more for me; I'm done.

The sooner this thing comes crashing down to a screeching halt, the better.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
You mean like a black man who had a shadowy existence, and raised by communists, and admittedly heavily did drugs in high school and college would get fried? A man who attended Jerimiah Wright's racist "church" for 20 years?

How did that work out.

You underestimate the power of the media. If they go all in for Warren, the public won't have a clue about her, and will vote for the "first woman" president.

...you speak the truth kemosabe....[a little Indian lingo there]
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Relic

I am sick and tired of it as well.  If I just consider myself, I suppose that I can "tolerate" anything considering that I've already crossed the turning point of having already lived more decades than I have left to go.  But it pisses me off to no end when I think about our children and grandchildren.  I don't want them to have to look forward to living out their decades in an ever increasing tyranny.  This country is a hollow shell of what it was around 100 years ago.

And all of this destruction and waste has been planned and purposeful, brought on slowly over time by 'both' so called parties.

I've seen enough and played along with it enough.  I've had my fill and am simply not going to cooperate any longer.  If a candidate emerges at any level that I think stands for what I believe in (and think is all that is, as I, like the rest of us, have no real insight into most of these people, we can only go by what they say and the image that is crafted by their handlers), I will support her/him to the best of my ability.  But I will no longer vote simply for one party because everyone tells me the 'other' party will be so bad.  That line of thinking and acting is a big part of what has gotten us to this point, the 'left v. right' paradigm has played out superbly in that regard (and I watch it playing out even more clearly every day).  No more for me; I'm done.

The sooner this thing comes crashing down to a screeching halt, the better.

We are in total agreement on this.

Oceander

highly doubtful.

Offline olde north church

highly doubtful.

What difference does it make?  The names are all that matter.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
olde north church wrote above:
[[ It would be really keen if the GOP provided a choice ]]

But sir, they have:
 Jeb Bush
 Mitt Romney
 Chris Christie

OK, choose....

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Chieftan wrote above (regarding Lieawatha Warren):
[[ Do you really think her 11 point plan is going to play well in flyover country?? ]]

The reality is that "flyover country" really isn't going to be needed any longer to win presidential elections.

The democrats are nearing a "tipping point" where it will be mathematically impossible for a Republican candidate to win.

The 'rats have roughly 240 electoral votes in their pocket right out of the starting gate.

And look at some important trends in the last two election cycles:
 Ohio - went for Obama twice
 Florida - went for Obama twice
 Virginia - went for Obama twice
 North Carolina - went for Obama once
 Colorado - went for Obama twice
 Indiana - went for Obama once
 New Mexico - went for Obama twice

I'm trying to remain optimistic about 2016, but it's going to be a tougher contest than ever. About the only "bulwark" large state left to the Republicans is Texas. That's why it's so important for the democrats to "turn it blue".

How do you think the future electoral numbers are going to look after 30 million illegals are "normalized" ???