Author Topic: These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America
« on: July 22, 2014, 01:17:43 pm »
These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

This infographic created by Jason at Frugal Dad shows that almost all media comes from the same six sources.

That's consolidated from 50 companies back in 1983.

NOTE: This infographic is from last year and is missing some key transactions. GE does not own NBC (or Comcast or any media) anymore. So that 6th company is now Comcast. And Time Warner doesn't own AOL, so Huffington Post isn't affiliated with them.

But the fact that a few companies own everything demonstrates "the illusion of choice," Frugal Dad says. While some big sites, like Digg and Reddit aren't owned by any of the corporations, Time Warner owns news sites read by millions of Americans every year.

Here's the graphic:

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6#ixzz38CdUtKoo
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Re: These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »
Now you know why it is so very easy for them to "call the tune" as to what is or is not "news"!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:51:13 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:20:19 pm »
It also puts into focus, just how possible it is to successfully blackmail the boards of the parent corporations into 'falling in line' on what is reported and what is not.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 01:26:15 pm »
It also puts into focus, just how possible it is to successfully blackmail the boards of the parent corporations into 'falling in line' on what is reported and what is not.

OH yeah! For sure!  :beer:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 01:28:29 pm »

And, it demonstrates how easy it is to control the political conversation, both the candidates and their positions.

Now you know why 'amnesty' is a front-burner issue when most people oppose it...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:29:14 pm »
And, it demonstrates how easy it is to control the political conversation, both the candidates and their positions.

Now you know why 'amnesty' is a front-burner issue when most people oppose it...

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 01:35:28 pm »
I was going to write a long rebuttal but one of the comments on this page pretty much sums it up:

http://ivn.us/2012/06/18/did-you-know-that-just-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-infographic/

This infographic is silly. Starting right from the top... "That same 90% is controlled by 6 companies in 2011". What that fails to mention is that "that same 90%" has become vastly less influential and important in 2011. Newspapers, radio, TV...all of those have lost share of the market in a big way to the Internet. Where is Youtube here? What about Facebook, Twitter? Facebook's "readership" is coming up on a billion; Twitter's, ~1/2 billion. (5X and 3X the monthly readership of Time Warner, respectively.) I don't know the stats on how much total YouTube video is watched every day, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's competitive with the amount of TV watched every day. And YouTube has only been in business for a fraction of the 60+ years that the TV industry has.

Also, consider the comparison made between Time Warner and Tumblr/Reddit/Digg/Google News...Time Warner properties have been building an audience for nearly 100 years; those other sources, 10 years or less. So in ~10 years, Tumblr, Reddit, and Digg have developed a combined readership nearly half that of Time Warner; Google News alone, a readership 1/3 that of Time Warner. That's GOOD news, not bad. It's AMAZING PROGRESS in the decentralization of media--not that you'd know it from this bleak and distorted picture of the landscape, which is based on an increasingly-irrelevant definition of "media".

Seriously...an infographic about "media" that doesn't even mention YouTube = irrelevant.

And what about blogs? There are literally millions of blogs, with hundreds of millions of readers every day. An infographic about media that doesn't mention blogs is an infographic about the past, not the present.

Silly pro-regulation propaganda.

"Until regulations return (or they buy each other out of existence), they will continue to control 90% of everything Americans see, hear, or consider important."

Bullsh--. It's already not true, and every year that passes will make it less true.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 01:36:46 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:41:37 pm »
It's already not true, and every year that passes will make it less true.

Which is why 'amnesty' is a front-burner issue when most people oppose it, Hellary is the leading Democrat for president, 'gay marriage' is flourishing, pot is being legalized left and right, socialized medicine is being forced on society, MH17 is being blamed on Russia when the Ukraine's fingerprints are all over it, etc, etc, etc...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 01:53:23 pm »
Which is why 'amnesty' is a front-burner issue when most people oppose it, Hellary is the leading Democrat for president, 'gay marriage' is flourishing, pot is being legalized left and right, socialized medicine is being forced on society, MH17 is being blamed on Russia when the Ukraine's fingerprints are all over it, etc, etc, etc...

May I inquire as to why Ukraine's fingerprints are all over it?  Not trying to be a wiseguy but I was thinking about Ukraine/Russia-Soviet thing the other day.  As in, the Ukraine was basically the puppet of the Third Reich.  That put up some pretty hard scores to settle.  Unlike the U.S. and the lack of historical memory, Europe and Asian grudges are held long and simmered.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 01:57:41 pm »
May I inquire as to why Ukraine's fingerprints are all over it?  Not trying to be a wiseguy but I was thinking about Ukraine/Russia-Soviet thing the other day.  As in, the Ukraine was basically the puppet of the Third Reich.  That put up some pretty hard scores to settle.  Unlike the U.S. and the lack of historical memory, Europe and Asian grudges are held long and simmered.

Who diverted MH17 over rebel territory?  Ukrainian air-traffic controllers.

Whose fighter jet was within air-to-air missile range of MH17 just before it came down?  Ukraine's

Whose BUK radar was operating in the area just before MH17 was blown out of the sky?  Ukraine's

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 01:58:32 pm »
The question becomes who benefits from this and how.

Unshun --

That was a very Soviet mentality.

Shun ---

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
Who diverted MH17 over rebel territory?  Ukrainian air-traffic controllers.

Whose fighter jet was within air-to-air missile range of MH17 just before it came down?  Ukraine's

Whose BUK radar was operating in the area just before MH17 was blown out of the sky?  Ukraine's

Thanks.  I really haven't been paying too much attention beyond headlines, if that.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 02:03:58 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0LCTl3o2kY

This is proof positive that the news cycle is controlled.   Anybody that denies it, is willfully...and woefully ignorant.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 02:05:27 pm »
Thanks.  I really haven't been paying too much attention beyond headlines, if that.

These allegations have not been reported by the Western media.  Just by the Russians and Iranians.  I imagine that the lack of rebuttal could be taken as evidence of the truth of the allegations.

Course, this all gets back to the point of the OP of the thread.  You only hear what your minders want you to hear.  Esp if you aren't searching for other opinions and only read headlines (which many people do).

That's why the manipulation is so effective...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 02:06:43 pm »
This is proof positive that the news cycle is controlled.   Anybody that denies it, is willfully...and woefully ignorant.

Downright hilarious when put into context, isn't it?

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »
So with these statistics in mind, how important does it become that the President of CBS has a brother who is the National Security Adviser to Barack Obama??

What does this say about the ongoing journalistic malpractice in the US Press, and our continued reliance on overseas press outlets to find out what is really going on in our own country??

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »
So with these statistics in mind, how important does it become that the President of CBS has a brother who is the National Security Adviser to Barack Obama??

What does this say about the ongoing journalistic malpractice in the US Press, and our continued reliance on overseas press outlets to find out what is really going on in our own country??

Watch for calls for 'net neutrality' to go beyond simple Google manipulation of search results...

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 03:06:31 pm »
Watch for calls for 'net neutrality' to go beyond simple Google manipulation of search results...

Whenever I log on to Facebook...which is rarely...on my stream, I see many items in the political vein, asking for me to "like" or "agree".

NEVER...EVER....participate.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »
Very good points being brought up.  No doubt, what we hear in the mainstream media - as Rush vividly points out when he plays the excerpts of a "catch phrase" that is repeated on almost every news outlet - there is no doubt what we hear on the MSM is completely manipulated.

Abaraxas makes an excellent point too with the rebuttal - YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc - aren't even included - yet they have a HUGE audience.

However, I think the 6 giant dinosaurs of media have a definite influence on what is talked about in the new media alternatives and I see, at times, their attempts to control that as well.  I'd say there are schemes being implemented right now to take over these new media giants and swallow them up.  There's just too much power there to ignore. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 03:14:08 pm »
Very good points being brought up.  No doubt, what we hear in the mainstream media - as Rush vividly points out when he plays the excerpts of a "catch phrase" that is repeated on almost every news outlet - there is no doubt what we hear on the MSM is completely manipulated.

Abaraxas makes an excellent point too with the rebuttal - YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc - aren't even included - yet they have a HUGE audience.

However, I think the 6 giant dinosaurs of media have a definite influence on what is talked about in the new media alternatives and I see, at times, their attempts to control that as well.  I'd say there are schemes being implemented right now to take over these new media giants and swallow them up.  There's just too much power there to ignore.

Excellent points....remember the days when Congress decided when Corporations became too big??  AT&T anyone?? 

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 03:19:23 pm »

I think that the 'scheme' was in funding them in the first place.

No need to 'take over' something that you fostered from the beginning...

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 03:34:51 pm »

While it is true that the impact and reach of the MSM is lessening each year, 'new media' still doesn't come close to having the reach of the MSM for a very large segment of society.  Those of us that are online frequently every day and are digging out information from very tiny (in terms of reach) places tend to forget that we are still a small fraction of the society.

We see the silly 'man on the street' interviews that reveal the clueless nature of most people walking around, I don't think that they have to try real hard to find these people......

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 03:35:08 pm »
I think that the 'scheme' was in funding them in the first place.

No need to 'take over' something that you fostered from the beginning...

If that's true GourmetDan, then it's only a matter of time before "our" viewpoint will be eliminated from this new media.  I believe this will happen, and in the not-too-distant future. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 03:41:56 pm »

Absolutely, this little garden of informational delights isn't going remain open for all to wander freely for much longer....

We've seen the drill play out over and over, that little twist on the Hegelian Dialectic: Problem – Reaction – Solution

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 04:39:56 pm »

The political conversations I see on FoxNews differ greatly from those on NBC.  If the media are all controlled by some small group, that small group isn't thinking as a team.  And as others have pointed out, the print media is quickly falling from any reasonable position of influence in favor of a 24/7 internet.

As for amnesty, almost every poll shows that most Americans want both a secure border and some type of legalization for those already here.  Of course some will suggest that all the polls are also controlled and manipulated (by the same small group?), but there just isn't enough tin-foil to go around.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!