Author Topic: These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America  (Read 5151 times)

Offline speekinout

Re: These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:17 am »
It looks to me like people are forgetting that the title of this thread is that 6 corps. control 90% of the media. Not 100% of it. That other 10% is available to everyone, and I think there is some diversity of thought there. We aren't forced to read/watch the 90%, so it's about people's choices, not about what the media companies are doing.

Why have we become a nation of sheeple who follow blindly what the cutest or most charismatic of the public figures, be it a politician or celebrity, says?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2014, 12:22:47 am »
As Oceander stated, the same consolidation of businesses has occurred in autos, energy, computers, retail, etc.

So do you believe a case for a break up could be made in court, such as the breakup of Standard Oil in 1911, using the Sherman Act?

I don't, and I don't think a case could be made that they offer just one opinion, or are biased in the same way, either.

I happen to think most of these types of discussions stem from conservatism's failure to sell and resell itself, with skilled communicators and a compelling message.
I think there's something more to be said of why conservatism cannot just “sell and resell itself.” More on that another time.

But on the first point: I might argue that there are actually more choices—and not just illusory ones—than there were in decades past. Ever since the federal government started giving out radio licenses in the 1920s there have always been a few companies that were able to shoehorn in at the ground level, build their foundations, and effectively shut out newer competitors, since there was always a limited number of spots on the broadcast bands to use. But networks have formed.

Let's start with radio: In 1927, there were two networks: NBC and CBS. Even though they didn't own their entire networks, pretty much any station in America had to affiliate with one of the two.

In World War II, the FCC ordered NBC to break up. ABC was born. Also rising was the Mutual network, which was effectively a coalition of independent stations.

Then in the 1950s, attention shifted away from drama and toward music. First, you had top 40. Yes, most of them stuck to a national chart—but at the time, those charts were based on what people were buying, what people were listening to in jukeboxes, etc. Many even developed their local charts. Then came all-news and the light instrumental “beautiful music/easy listening” for those stations that couldn't compete doing top 40.

FM radio came along, and competitors flocked to rock. A few years later, after top 40 had been around enough to build a back catalog, oldies showed up. The FCC opened up more FM licenses around 1990, and country became a legitimate choice outside the South.

Now let's consider television.

In the 1950s, you had a TV band restricted to twelve channels, and because of overlapping markets it was only three (or less) to any given city. You had three networks that controlled EVERYTHING on TV. Then in the 1960s they made TVs include UHF, which wasn't as easy to broadcast with, but it still allowed for independent stations to thrive and compete. In the '70s, the FCC cut out a hole in every TV station's schedule for non-network programs to allow syndicators to compete. (That was eliminated in the 90s, but the hole is still there.) Fox came in the 1980s, cable TV exploded onto the scene in the same decade, and low-power has some presence in the cities.

Then, of course, came the Internet.

Now, is it a little discouraging that with 200 channels on your cable or satellite lineup, 10 companies own almost all of them? Sure. But that's still a lot more than the three companies that controlled your TV and radio back in the 1950s.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2014, 12:44:41 am »
I don't know.  Now that I think about it Myst and R4 seem kind of "shadowy" to me.  And who but an elitist would own a bull dog?
Perzactly!
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2014, 12:58:44 am »
Now, is it a little discouraging that with 200 channels on your cable or satellite lineup, 10 companies own almost all of them? Sure. But that's still a lot more than the three companies that controlled your TV and radio back in the 1950s.

Very good background Jmy.  Just as in the movies where the independents are making more and more dents in the market, arguably still run by the Big 6.  But just as with the news media, the big guys are in competition with each other.  Your main point though that there are more choices today than at any time previously is true.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2014, 01:20:21 am »
It looks to me like people are forgetting that the title of this thread is that 6 corps. control 90% of the media. Not 100% of it. That other 10% is available to everyone, and I think there is some diversity of thought there. We aren't forced to read/watch the 90%, so it's about people's choices, not about what the media companies are doing.

Why have we become a nation of sheeple who follow blindly what the cutest or most charismatic of the public figures, be it a politician or celebrity, says?

The problem is that a majority of people do get their news from these behemoths and then continue to vote for a rigged system that does nothing but make things worse. It never even occurs to most that what they're reading and listening to could be information carefully tailored to control the flow of thought. There are many different ways to tell the truth and report the news, and how they do it can influence what conclusions many people come to. Never turn your mind off to the possibility that everything around you is bullshit.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:26:22 am by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline speekinout

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:27 am »
The problem is that a majority of people do get their news from these behemoths and then continue to vote for a rigged system that continues to do nothing but make things worse. It never even occurs to most that what they're reading and listening to could be information carefully tailored to control the flow of thought. There are many different ways to tell the truth and report the news, and how they do it can influence what conclusions many people come to. Never turn your mind off to the possibility that everything around you is bullshit.

Yes, but I get back to the point that it isn't the lack of information sources that's the problem. It's the fact that so many people will just go along with what the most popular celeb or news source says. Why is that? I know people who think the NYslimes is a bible. And that Rachel Maddow is a news source. You could break up all of those major media companies, and these people would still use the same sources they always have.

It's the mind set of the readers, not the propaganda in the "news" sources that's the problem. We have to find a way to educate more people, and not just go along with progressive solution methods which involve shutting down the sources we don't agree with.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2014, 01:33:07 am »
Why is that?

It's easier to let somebody else do your thinking for you.
-Socrates

Offline speekinout

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2014, 01:44:59 am »
It's easier to let somebody else do your thinking for you.

OK. But it's not fair to blame the people who do the thinking. The fault lies with the people who refuse to do their own.

Oceander

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2014, 02:57:56 am »
The problem is that a majority of people do get their news from these behemoths and then continue to vote for a rigged system that does nothing but make things worse. It never even occurs to most that what they're reading and listening to could be information carefully tailored to control the flow of thought. There are many different ways to tell the truth and report the news, and how they do it can influence what conclusions many people come to. Never turn your mind off to the possibility that everything around you is bullshit.

Putting aside all of the assumptions, many erroneous, in your statement, what do you propose to do?  Use the government to enforce "diversity" of view on these "behemoths"?

Quite honestly, your problem is that you're preaching to the choir - nobody here passively absorbs news from a single outlet - if this problem really gets at you, you'd be out there trying to waken people from their stupor.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2014, 10:18:43 am »
OK. But it's not fair to blame the people who do the thinking. The fault lies with the people who refuse to do their own.

A lot of people don't have the time or energy to devote to it, or they're just not intelligent enough to think critically. I think it is completely fair to blame the people that are taking advantage of the naivete/ignorance of other people.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2014, 10:20:42 am »

what do you propose to do? 

I'm not entirely sure what the solution is. I'm hoping that once more people stop taking their medicine somebody more intelligent than myself can come up with a good answer to that question.
-Socrates

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2014, 12:29:50 pm »
A lot of people don't have the time or energy to devote to it, or they're just not intelligent enough to think critically. I think it is completely fair to blame the people that are taking advantage of the naivete/ignorance of other people.

It's a short leap from those who believe in their critical thinking skills to embracing conspiracy theories, doing so because the media is lying to us and controlling our inputs.  On this forum and its predecessors I've had the fun of debating the "moon landing fraud", the alleged North American Union, several 9/11 insider theories, the Obama birth certificate/natural born citizen issue, the Obama detention and reeducation camp plans, the NDAA which allegedly gave the president unlimited martial law authority, and a number of others, including fake congressional bills that circulate the email community.   And most of those folks believe they're critical thinkers because they can think past the news. 

But using the analogy of the blind squirrel, there may well have been a second shooter... :pondering:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2014, 01:10:03 pm »

And when you consider that the three all came from the same liberally biased POV, the options now are even more significantly greater.

Even though ABC, CBS, and NBC newscasters had at least the pretense of patriotism and reason, they were still all left-leaning.

I agree jmy.  Our options are greater for accurate news than they were in the 1950's.

What has changed, however, is that the entertainment industry (i.e. Hollywood) is now presenting leftist news as entertainment.  Movies, TV shows, late night TV all present a leftist POV.  In the 1950's, many movie stars were still patriots, and even TV shows led by liberals (e.g. Andy Griffith) presented conservative values.

Younger people, who never viewed TV or movies when they still had values tend to lean far left.  They are propagandized by "entertainment."
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:45 pm »
Excellent point, music lady. One with which I agree.