Author Topic: Rick Perry continues shoring up 2016 support  (Read 2080 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Rick Perry continues shoring up 2016 support
« on: July 21, 2014, 01:14:21 am »
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/kevinglass/2014/07/20/rick-perry-continues-shoring-up-2016-support-n1863913

by Kevin Glass
July 20, 2014

Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who entered the 2012 GOP nomination race but exited with a whimper, has been making moves hinting at a 2016 bid for President. Most recently he's been to Iowa multiple times, and the Associated Press is reporting that he's been shoring up support with donors and strategists:

If Texas Gov. Rick Perry runs for president and loses Iowa to some other Republican again, it won't be for a lack of trying.

The 64-year-old Perry is on his fourth trip to the state in eight months, meeting Saturday and Sunday with veterans and conservative activists in the northern Iowa communities of Algona and Clear Lake.

Although he hasn't said if he'll seek the White House in 2016, Perry has been raising funds for GOP candidates and seeking advice from political insiders since November.

Perry entered the 2012 presidential race with much fanfare, but quickly stumbled. He finished fifth in the Iowa caucuses in early 2012 and quit the race two weeks later.

As Real Clear Politics' 2012 polling shows, Rick Perry had a comfortable but brief lead in the GOP nomination chase , putting a dent in Mitt Romney and flattening the other candidates. He soon stumbled in debates, though, and fell back to the pack and out of the race for good:

Perry may contend with a broader and deeper GOP field this time around, as all the candidates will be longtime politicians with established track records. If he's to make a serious run he'll need to have a better showing than last time.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Rick Perry continues shoring up 2016 support
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 01:48:56 am »
Flavor of the week time, back then when those peaks and valleys appear for Bachmann, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum and finally solid plodding steady Romney.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:18:01 am »
a little distressing seeing how Santorum shot up just as Perry, Bachmann, and Huntsman dropped out.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:37:22 am »
a little distressing seeing how Santorum shot up just as Perry, Bachmann, and Huntsman dropped out.
That was also about the time Gingrich made his moon colony comments. Basically, Santorum was the last Romney opponent who hadn't been destroyed yet.

You had Rick Perry with his countless debate gaffes.

Herman Cain had the affair accusations.

Bachmann shot herself in the foot with the vaccine/autism statements.

Huntsman was, well, Huntsman.o

Ron Paul had the racist newsletters come back to haunt him. (Of all things.)

Then Gingrich started going off on that moon colony.

Of course, Santorum also had some pretty disturbing statements on the role of government, but those mostly were forgotten by primary time.

That left Romney, who seemed to have no skeletons in his closet (or at least a much more effective way of burying them), at the end.

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:47:14 am »
what's disturbing is that it appears from the chart that those who had supported Perry, et al, jumped over to Santorum once their first picks were no longer available.  Twixt Santorum and Romney I cannot fathom that significant numbers would favor the former over the latter.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 09:14:35 am »
Flavor of the week time, back then when those peaks and valleys appear for Bachmann, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum and finally solid plodding steady Romney.

As a RINO cheerleader for the GOPe I'll vote for whoever the primary voters pick for me before my WI vote makes no difference so late in the process.

There were many good choices for conservatives in 2012 unlike 2008, but the flavor of the week was actually white soft serve anti-GOPe both elections.

In 2008 the popular pejorative for GOPe among conservatives was Rudy McRomney, but the guy they hated the most was traitorous POW John McCain.  After Duncan Hunter, Tom Tancredo, Sam Brownback, Jim Gilmore and Alan Keyes fizzled out before they started Anybody But McCain was the conservative slogan and conservatives lowered their standards from least worst RINO Fred Thompson to next worst Guilliani, to next worst Romney, to Huckabee, and finally to the worst RINO Jaun McCain.  And woe to posters on TOS if they endorsed McCain until long after there was no other choice.

A similar pattern happened in 2012 with conservatives reusing the Anybody But Romney strategy.  He soon became the villian to personify the GOPe, even though Romney said "I am the only candidate in this race, Republican or Democrat, who has never worked a day in Washington,”...“I don’t have old scores to settle or decades of cloakroom deals to defend.”
 http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/romney-plays-outsider-status-washington-speech_626576.html

It was stunning to behold the former Speaker of the House establish his outsider cred.  “The idea of a Gingrich presidency actually changing Washington, of my ignoring all the powers that be — I have no ties to Goldman Sachs, for example, the biggest single backer of Romney; I have no ties to the power structure.  I think that they are very frightened at the idea of a genuine outsider. And I’ve managed to remain a genuine outsider."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/post/gingrich-romney-will-lose-in-florida/2012/01/23/gIQAkzTJLQ_blog.html

Conservatives have no idea who they want, but they do know who they don't want...the guy with the best chance to attract moderates or crossover votes.  I expect conservatives will be disappointed with the 2016 GOPe nominee, but we will win this time.

Offline raml

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 09:35:57 am »
You think the gop will win in 2016? That is a leap of faith. Thousands of conservatives are willing to write in a candidate or not vote if a rhino is the candidate. You can't win without us and after seeing what the rhino's have done to this country along with the democrats not one of us will change our minds.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 11:07:38 am »
That was also about the time Gingrich made his moon colony comments. Basically, Santorum was the last Romney opponent who hadn't been destroyed yet.

You had Rick Perry with his countless debate gaffes.

Herman Cain had the affair accusations.

Bachmann shot herself in the foot with the vaccine/autism statements.

Huntsman was, well, Huntsman.o

Ron Paul had the racist newsletters come back to haunt him. (Of all things.)

Then Gingrich started going off on that moon colony.

Of course, Santorum also had some pretty disturbing statements on the role of government, but those mostly were forgotten by primary time.

That left Romney, who seemed to have no skeletons in his closet (or at least a much more effective way of burying them), at the end.

They weren't forgotten, they were overlooked by his base.  They want to initiate their view of America and use the government to do it.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 12:59:22 pm »
You think the gop will win in 2016? That is a leap of faith. Thousands of conservatives are willing to write in a candidate or not vote if a rhino is the candidate. You can't win without us and after seeing what the rhino's have done to this country along with the democrats not one of us will change our minds.

"You can't win without us"????

Who is "us"?
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Relic

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 01:52:36 pm »

I heard Rush talking the other day about this. He said look at the Dems, they do whatever they can for their base. Look at the Reps, they hate their base.

It explains a lot.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 02:04:40 pm »
"You can't win without us"????

Who is "us"?
"Us" would seem to be people like the 0.5% that supported Buchanan in 2000.

Their whining is a lot louder than their vote count. And being so unreliable, not worth pursuing.

The fact is Reagan would be unacceptable to them today, based on their checklist method of disqualifying almost anybody.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:04:53 pm »
I heard Rush talking the other day about this. He said look at the Dems, they do whatever they can for their base. Look at the Reps, they hate their base.

It explains a lot.

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:12:59 pm »
The fact is Reagan would be unacceptable to them today, based on their checklist method of disqualifying almost anybody.

If you believe that to be the case, you will never win again, because you can't win without us.

A good friend of mine is a political barometer to me. A very good one. He leans left, but will vote Republican when it makes sense to him. In the coming elections, he would love to vote Republican, if for no other reason than to punish the Democrats. However, when he looks at Republicans, he sees a group that is particularly slimy that stands for absolutely nothing. If you vote R, what do you get? Not a Democrat? Maybe, but some R's vote and govern like D's.

I don't care anymore. The country is headed to the trash heap of history, and your beloved establishment types are helping to grease the skids. So, if they never win again, I'm ok with that.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 02:59:28 pm »
The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

Until enough people understand this, the folly will continue, unabated.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 03:00:27 pm »
If you believe that to be the case, you will never win again, because you can't win without us.

A good friend of mine is a political barometer to me. A very good one. He leans left, but will vote Republican when it makes sense to him. In the coming elections, he would love to vote Republican, if for no other reason than to punish the Democrats. However, when he looks at Republicans, he sees a group that is particularly slimy that stands for absolutely nothing. If you vote R, what do you get? Not a Democrat? Maybe, but some R's vote and govern like D's.

I don't care anymore. The country is headed to the trash heap of history, and your beloved establishment types are helping to grease the skids. So, if they never win again, I'm ok with that.

#RememberMississippi  'nuf said.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 03:43:32 pm »

Then we can thank the SoCons for President Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Quite honestly, the GOP's problem here is one of fence-sitting.  If it went whole-hog with attempts like Paul Rand's to make the effort to explain itself to so-called "nontraditional" voters, then it would very quickly no longer need the SoCons at all.  As it is, though, it remains wedded to the SoCons, a strategy that used to win elections but which no longer provides much comfort for upcoming elections.  It's time for the GOP to get off the fence and look to the future - the "nontraditional" future - and unhitch itself from a shrinking base.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 04:41:32 pm »
"Us" would seem to be people like the 0.5% that supported Buchanan in 2000.

Their whining is a lot louder than their vote count. And being so unreliable, not worth pursuing.

Yes Reagan would be unacceptable to many today.  But perhaps not.  Maybe they would overlook his abortion position as governor, the Marine Barracks, his tax increases, his increased deficits and debt, and of course his amnesty law.  In his nomination acceptance speech, his only social position and his first promise was to meet with all the governors to eliminate discrimination against women, and even add statuses for women if necessary. 

The GOP has an outstanding chance in '16 even against Hillary.  We'll see a lot from the "My Way or the Highway" crowd, but I suspect after 2008 and 2012, in the end they'll be there, regardless of who emerges from the brouhaha they call primaries. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:59 pm »
Off topic but related. Romney would have made a good president and I'm not convinced he won't run again; Reagan ran twice before grabbing the brass ring. With a minor image make-over Romney could be viable in '16.

Here's an interesting tidbit. When there is an incumbent in office, Democrats always nominate a party favorite. Examples are Humphrey, McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry. But, when there is not an incumbent in office, Democrats have NEVER selected a well known name to run in that year. It's always been an outsider like Carter, Clinton and Obama.

Therefore, with no incumbent in office, Hillary will be the next example of a party favorite to NOT be selected nominee -- with Democrats likely choosing Elizabeth Warren.

By the way, it's the exact opposite with Republicans. They always select nationally well know party favorites when there is no incumbent in office. Examples are Nixon, Reagan, Bush (and perhaps, who knows, Romney).

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 04:59:26 pm »
Off topic but related. Romney would have made a good president and I'm not convinced he won't run again; Reagan ran twice before grabbing the brass ring. With a minor image make-over Romney could be viable in '16.

Here's an interesting tidbit. When there is an incumbent in office, Democrats always nominate a party favorite. Examples are Humphrey, McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis, Gore, Kerry. But, when there is not an incumbent in office, Democrats have NEVER selected a well known name to run in that year. It's always been an outsider like Carter, Clinton and Obama.

Therefore, with no incumbent in office, Hillary will be the next example of a party favorite to NOT be selected nominee -- with Democrats likely choosing Elizabeth Warren.

By the way, it's the exact opposite with Republicans. They always select nationally well know party favorites when there is no incumbent in office. Examples are Nixon, Reagan, Bush (and perhaps, who knows, Romney).

Interesting stat.  And I do agree with you about Romney.  He would certainly have made a hell of a better president than we have now, and he may well run again.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 05:03:39 pm »
Yes Reagan would be unacceptable to many today.  But perhaps not.  Maybe they would overlook his abortion position as governor, the Marine Barracks, his tax increases, his increased deficits and debt, and of course his amnesty law.  In his nomination acceptance speech, his only social position and his first promise was to meet with all the governors to eliminate discrimination against women, and even add statuses for women if necessary. 
But who was his competition in the primary? John Anderson, Bob Dole, Howard Baker, former Democrat John Connally, and Phil Crane. Of those, only Crane was to the right of Reagan, but he was only a member of the House and ill-equipped to run a primary campaign—much the same as the elder Duncan Hunter was in 2008.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »

Your remarks need to stand alone, with no elaboration from me whatsoever.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 05:28:47 pm »
But who was his competition in the primary? John Anderson, Bob Dole, Howard Baker, former Democrat John Connally, and Phil Crane. Of those, only Crane was to the right of Reagan, but he was only a member of the House and ill-equipped to run a primary campaign—much the same as the elder Duncan Hunter was in 2008.

For the most part of course, no one knew of the positions Reagan would take during his presidency.  Hind sight is usually pretty strong, and the issue is would he be a favorite of the Party's right wing today?  I say yes he would, and that speaks volumes for selective political principles.

Offline Relic

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 05:54:41 pm »
Then we can thank the SoCons for President Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Quite honestly, the GOP's problem here is one of fence-sitting.  If it went whole-hog with attempts like Paul Rand's to make the effort to explain itself to so-called "nontraditional" voters, then it would very quickly no longer need the SoCons at all.  As it is, though, it remains wedded to the SoCons, a strategy that used to win elections but which no longer provides much comfort for upcoming elections.  It's time for the GOP to get off the fence and look to the future - the "nontraditional" future - and unhitch itself from a shrinking base.

You forgot the other part, actually do something that resembles what you promise.

Offline Relic

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 05:57:04 pm »
Your remarks need to stand alone, with no elaboration from me whatsoever.

You're a hoot. Not only are you filled with self importance, and contempt for those that don't agree with you, you're about as disingenuous as any leftist.

No context, you founds something that you feel proves your point. What a buffoon you are.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 06:21:07 pm »
You're a hoot. Not only are you filled with self importance, and contempt for those that don't agree with you, you're about as disingenuous as any leftist.

No context, you founds something that you feel proves your point. What a buffoon you are.
For somebody claiming to not care, you sure are quick to grab the meal off the hook.

But he on only got 0.5%, and me being the one saying it, doesn't make it less of a fact.

I know, I know; you'll say: "...but there's more of us, this time. You wait and see. Without us, you can't win."

I think you overestimate your importance. Pragmatic, practical realistic folks see courting your vote as losing 2 or 3 votes, just to please you.