Author Topic: Don't be surprised if Mitt Romney is on the GOP primary ballot BY HUGH HEWITT  (Read 691 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://washingtonexaminer.com/dont-be-surprised-if-mitt-romney-is-on-the-gop-primary-ballot/article/2551045

Don't be surprised if Mitt Romney is on the GOP primary ballot
BY HUGH HEWITT | JULY 20, 2014 | 5:00 PM

Caveat emptor: I have not talked with or received an email from former Massachusetts governor and 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney in months, and the last time I asked him if he was thinking about 2016 -- on air before a national audience -- his answer was a firm "No."

Since then on every occasion he has been asked that I have seen he responded with some variation of "No." Including "No, no, no, no, no."

Could he change his mind? Of course he could. The man who warned of Russian President Vladimir Putin and many other things must feel no satisfaction in having proved a prophet but not the president. His desire to serve and lead must be greater as the troubles deepen all around us. Certainly many of his supporters are urging him to reconsider.

I support his running as a "favorite son" or "favorite native son" or "favorite adopted son" in a half dozen states and have written to that end in the Weekly Standard a few weeks back because I believe a longer, more deliberative process than the one set up to unfold right now would help the GOP's eventual nominee immensely in the battle against Hillary Clinton, without the unnecessary bleeding of 20+ debates run by and for the Left via the MSM.

I doubt he will either run all out or at half speed, but I don't doubt that the worst reason not to do so would be the scorn of others.

My pal Fred Barnes laughed off the idea of Romney 3.0 on my show with an allusion to Harold Stassen, who set a standard for futility in nine separate losing bids for the GOP presidential nomination. My radio colleague Laura Ingraham dismissed it chatting with Bill O'Reilly with a reference to William Jennings Bryan. Neither of them, though, considered that both Thomas Dewey and Richard Nixon achieved multiple nominations with the first run being a loss, and that many other close-but-no-cigar campaigners with names like Dole and Taft were never diminished by their repeated, frustrated ambitions. Not even Stassen deserved the disapprobation attached to his name until very late in his life when he ran manifestly-doomed-to-fail joke campaigns.

If you could win, many people believe, you take a swing - including a twice-failed-at-securing-the nomination Ronald Reagan, the greatest president of the post-World War II era.

I first heard Reagan in small hotel ballroom in the summer of 1978, when the air conditioning had failed and the Gipper was working a crowd of perhaps 200. Many people, including me, didn't think the old guy had a prayer but I wanted to see him in person.

Reagan urged all the men at the dinner – I think it was sponsored by the San Diego Republican Women Federated – to join him in taking off their jackets and trying to stay cool, but he wasn't going to cut his remarks short because the times required he take his time. What followed was a masterful speech of the sort that won him a second chance, and not just for him, but for the country.

The rules have all changed now, with Twitter and the rise of snark as well as the death of historical memory. But there would certainly be no shame, and quite a lot of honor if, like Taft and Reagan from the right of the GOP, or Nixon and Dewey from the center-right, Romney reached again.

There are no "rules" about such things, no obstacles to a first-term senator seeking the presidency, or a governor under investigation, or one around whom a recall swirled, or one whose father is the most famous serial candidate of all. There. Are. No. Rules.

It is a new new age of politics, and as I wrote last week, every smart would-be nominee would be musing out loud about Romney as a running mate for the first term -- and only the first term -- as a means of gaining the Romney network and, if actually implemented, of freezing all critics and would-be 2020 vice-presidential nominees in place in support of the president from 2017 to the summer of 2020.

So don't allow yourself to be surprised in an era when nothing should surprise.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline speekinout

I would love to see Romney on the GOP primary ballot. He was my first choice last time, and so far, he's my first choice for next time. He's proven that he is competent in executive areas - successful businessman, successful at rescuing the Olympics, successful governor. He also was very prescient about some of the things he said about where politics and the world were going. I think he'd do well at cleaning up the mess we have now.
He was unfairly labelled a silver spoon baby - he gave his inheritance to charity and earned his own money. The fact that he's a Mormon did hurt, but aren't there more people today who would like religious freedom for even more people?
But he's not exactly charismatic.

I'd like to at least be able to use him as a standard for competence and experience when we pick the next GOP candidate. We all know what happens when charisma wins out over competence and experience. I don't think we'd be much better off with a charismatic and inexperienced GOP President than we are with a dim one.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
No more freaking retreads already.

Truly, I'm not even sure we'll have an election in 2016.  Either this country will implode before then, or Obama will simply set himself up as dictator for life.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Online Lando Lincoln

I would love to see Romney on the GOP primary ballot. He was my first choice last time, and so far, he's my first choice for next time. He's proven that he is competent in executive areas - successful businessman, successful at rescuing the Olympics, successful governor. He also was very prescient about some of the things he said about where politics and the world were going. I think he'd do well at cleaning up the mess we have now.
He was unfairly labelled a silver spoon baby - he gave his inheritance to charity and earned his own money. The fact that he's a Mormon did hurt, but aren't there more people today who would like religious freedom for even more people?
But he's not exactly charismatic.

I'd like to at least be able to use him as a standard for competence and experience when we pick the next GOP candidate. We all know what happens when charisma wins out over competence and experience. I don't think we'd be much better off with a charismatic and inexperienced GOP President than we are with a dim one.

Nicely reasoned comment.  I suspect not all of them will be.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline speekinout

Thanks, Lando.  :seeya:

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Romney will not win, but I'm sure the left would appreciate free wins being handed to them.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
There is a certain simplicity with hm as the candidate, as well. He was the better option, but voters selected style over substance and look what they got.

Voters get a chant their own mistake to correct.

Starting from scratch with an unknown, means it takes longer for voters to get to know him/her ( I expect him).

With Romney, the ads write themselves, including replaying Eastwood's convention speech punch lines, etc.

In fact the ads against any democrats write themselves, by joining any democrat to Obama's countless shortcomings and failures.

I want to hear a talking point every time a Republican opens his mouth, about "Obama and fellow democrats..."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
[[ Don't be surprised if Mitt Romney is on the GOP primary ballot BY HUGH HEWITT ]]

My reply:
Don't be surprised if I don't vote for him!

Offline musiclady

Nicely reasoned comment.  I suspect not all of them will be.

Agree.

And agree.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

There is a certain simplicity with hm as the candidate, as well. He was the better option, but voters selected style over substance and look what they got.

Voters get a chant their own mistake to correct.

Starting from scratch with an unknown, means it takes longer for voters to get to know him/her ( I expect him).

With Romney, the ads write themselves, including replaying Eastwood's convention speech punch lines, etc.

In fact the ads against any democrats write themselves, by joining any democrat to Obama's countless shortcomings and failures.

I want to hear a talking point every time a Republican opens his mouth, about "Obama and fellow democrats..."

So do I.