Author Topic: 5-Year-old Afghan Boy Dies After Being Gang-Raped by Muslim Youth  (Read 2906 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: 5-Year-old Afghan Boy Dies After Being Gang-Raped by Muslim Youth
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 01:17:36 pm »
Military are not cops.

The mindset is different, the training is different and a good soldier makes a shitty cop and vice versa. Nation building needs cops, not soldiers. Not that I think nation building is a viable operation even at the best of times. Even Japan, which has been mentioned a few times in thread, got totally screwed up by the occupation.

But didn't it take the occupation for Japan to become a productive nation?  What were the alternatives after we destroyed the country?

Same with Germany.  What were the alternatives?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 02:00:47 pm »
The alternative is "Not our problem. Mess with us, you die, leave us alone and we leave you alone."

I have a tad of resentment about the handling of Germany after the war. They got the Marshall Plan, infrastructure rebuilt. Economy hitting boom times, loads of work and loads of opportunity. Rationing ended in the UK two years after I were born. Still have my ration book somewhere. The UK finally finished paying off the USA in 2006. 61 years of payments to an "ally."
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »
The alternative is "Not our problem. Mess with us, you die, leave us alone and we leave you alone."

I have a tad of resentment about the handling of Germany after the war. They got the Marshall Plan, infrastructure rebuilt. Economy hitting boom times, loads of work and loads of opportunity. Rationing ended in the UK two years after I were born. Still have my ration book somewhere. The UK finally finished paying off the USA in 2006. 61 years of payments to an "ally."

I did not realize that EC.  It's like rewarding bad behavior - and we're getting damn good at it too! 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 03:42:52 pm »

But punishing, and not helping Germany after WWI very much became "our problem," didn't it?

That's why we helped them out after WWII.

And that's why we have had two strong allies in Germany and Japan since then.

(It's only been Obama who's messed with our best ally, England).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 03:46:46 pm »
Military are not cops.

The mindset is different, the training is different and a good soldier makes a shitty cop and vice versa. Nation building needs cops, not soldiers. Not that I think nation building is a viable operation even at the best of times. Even Japan, which has been mentioned a few times in thread, got totally screwed up by the occupation.
Articles have stated that Iraqi trained, armed forces vastly outnumbered the islamist forces.

The trained Iraqi forces dropped their weapons and fled.

I suggest that alone is strong evidence we wasted our money and the blood of our soldiers/marines/sailors/airmen.

I conclude from that, that Iraq is indeed not a good candidate for nation building.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 04:39:00 pm »
Articles have stated that Iraqi trained, armed forces vastly outnumbered the islamist forces.

I suggest that alone is strong evidence we wasted our money and the blood of our soldiers/marines/sailors/airmen.

I conclude from that, that Iraq is indeed not a good candidate for nation building.

Unless, of course, you factor in that our troops were ALL pulled out of Iraq, leaving no solid support.

It wouldn't have had to be a large force, but some residual American force might have prevented the whole thing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 05:04:10 pm »

I am going to be totally fair. Most of them are tough bleep. You'd have them at your side or at your back without hesitation.

Individually.

That is the key problem. They don't think like a unit. They simply don't get the idea of unit based tactics. Honestly not sure why - Jordan has zero problem with that idea. The Kurds and the Iranians are almost ant like in their devotion to group tactics. It's a glitch in the culture.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 05:31:33 pm »
I am going to be totally fair. Most of them are tough bleepers. You'd have them at your side or at your back without hesitation.

Individually.

That is the key problem. They don't think like a unit. They simply don't get the idea of unit based tactics. Honestly not sure why - Jordan has zero problem with that idea. The Kurds and the Iranians are almost ant like in their devotion to group tactics. It's a glitch in the culture.

Decades of hardcore oppression and suppression of individual thought might factor in.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 06:05:05 pm »
Decades of hardcore oppression and suppression of individual thought might factor in.

It could be. We have discussed this a lot, around the fire of a morning (got to talk about something). Turks, for example, are the most individualistic people you can find outside Missouri. Yet small and large unit tactics come naturally to them. We had a guy seconded to us and it took him about 30 minutes to fit in. It were kind of strange, to be blunt. Felt really odd.

:shrug:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 01:33:37 pm »
I am going to be totally fair. Most of them are tough bleepers. You'd have them at your side or at your back without hesitation.

Individually.

Is it possible the Iraqi regulars don't know who to trust?  We've seen in both Iraq and Afghanistan the infiltrators who've been there from the beginning and start shooting on their fellows?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2014, 01:35:54 pm »
Is it possible the Iraqi regulars don't know who to trust?  We've seen in both Iraq and Afghanistan the infiltrators who've been there from the beginning and start shooting on their fellows?

Also works wonders on keeping recruitment numbers down.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2014, 03:51:46 pm »

I honestly can't say. Not won't - can't. With some of them it's like a switch flicks in their heads one day. Others - I guess technically they could be bad apples, but if they are they should each be buried with an Oscar.