Author Topic: Iran's nuclear talks extended  (Read 861 times)

Offline pjohns

Iran's nuclear talks extended
« on: July 19, 2014, 12:27:12 am »
I feared, all along, that the current "talks" with Iran--and the attendant suspension of sanctions--were designed merely to avoid the need for direct confrontation, at all costs; and that their failure would simply not be allowed.

Well, it appears (sadly) that I was correct.  Secretary of State John Kerry--which is to say, his boss, President Obama--has now agreed to extend these (unproductive) "talks" until November 24; by which time, presumably, some sort of deal will be patched together that will allow Iran to keep its centrifuges, and be very close to "breakout" capacity.  Either that, or the "talks" will be extended once again.  Anything/ to avoid confrontation.

Oh, here is the link:  Iran nuclear talks to be extended for 4 months | Fox News

Oceander

Re: Iran's nuclear talks extended
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 01:40:42 am »
They'll be extended again, past the Nov. "deadline."  Iran knows full well what the real deadline is:  Jan. 21, 2017, by which point it must either have its nukes in place, or it'll have to deal with a new - and most likely less compliant - US president (unless, of course, that happens to be President Clinton).

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:18:57 am »
It's pretty obvious that the "talks" are a stalling tactic and any "resolution" is being extended past the elections this Fall.  These people are a joke (except the joke is on us). 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 02:41:33 am »
It's pretty obvious that the "talks" are a stalling tactic and any "resolution" is being extended past the elections this Fall.  These people are a joke (except the joke is on us). 

Except that I don't think there will be a "resolution" other than either (a) the Iranians acquire their holy grail - nuclear weapons - or (b) the next US president has cojones and a sense of reality (i.e., isn't a democrat).

Here's my 2 cents' worth on it:  either Iran will acquire useable nuclear weapons in the next two years or on Jan. 22, 2017 Israel will carry out a full-scale surprise attack hitting all of Iran's nuclear facilities and destroying Iran's nascent arsenal.

Offline pjohns

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 03:37:33 am »
Here's my 2 cents' worth on it:  either Iran will acquire useable nuclear weapons in the next two years or on Jan. 22, 2017 Israel will carry out a full-scale surprise attack hitting all of Iran's nuclear facilities and destroying Iran's nascent arsenal.

I certainly hope that you are correct about Israel's destroying Iran's nascent nuclear capacity--and the sooner, the better.

But I have really been expecting this for a few years now; and it has not materialized yet.

Perhaps once Prime Minister Netanyahu is convinced that Washington is not really going to be of any help here, he will act alone--regardless of the potential upshot.

I very much hope so, anyway. 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 03:49:51 am »
Except that I don't think there will be a "resolution" other than either (a) the Iranians acquire their holy grail - nuclear weapons - or (b) the next US president has cojones and a sense of reality (i.e., isn't a democrat).

Well, that's why I put "resolution" in quotes.  I don't believe it either. 

I am hoping that your second scenario is the one that plays out, but the way things are going right now, I'm afraid Iran might get nukes - they will if Obama and Kerry have anything to do with it.  For Israel, it's getting very close to "do or die". 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 03:57:43 am »
I certainly hope that you are correct about Israel's destroying Iran's nascent nuclear capacity--and the sooner, the better.

But I have really been expecting this for a few years now; and it has not materialized yet.

Perhaps once Prime Minister Netanyahu is convinced that Washington is not really going to be of any help here, he will act alone--regardless of the potential upshot.

Me too.  I've been seeing reports that the Saudis are working with Israel, so they at least have that support. 

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 04:00:53 am »

I think that right now Israel hasn't acted because of the (quite reasonable) belief that the US under Obama would "punish" Israel for such an attack.  That constraint will not exist the minute Obama is no longer president, which would be the moment after the next president is sworn in on Jan. 20th.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:20 am »
Me too.  I've been seeing reports that the Saudis are working with Israel, so they at least have that support.

Jordan and Turkey too. It's a really strange alliance.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:46:50 am »
Jordan and Turkey too. It's a really strange alliance.

Yes it is.  Obama's "leadership" is creating a void.  It's interesting to see who steps up. 

Offline pjohns

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 08:16:22 pm »
I think that right now Israel hasn't acted because of the (quite reasonable) belief that the US under Obama would "punish" Israel for such an attack.  That constraint will not exist the minute Obama is no longer president, which would be the moment after the next president is sworn in on Jan. 20th.

Sadly, however, that is not Jan. 20th of next year that a new president will be sworn in.  Rather, we must wait until Jan. 20th of 2017--about two-and-a-half more years.

Will it perhaps be too late by then?