Author Topic: Growing Grass In A Forest  (Read 763 times)

Offline mrclose

Growing Grass In A Forest
« on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »
I live in a forest type setting and have a lot of trees (tall oak) and with the trees .. I have lots of shade.

I have always had a difficult time in getting grass to grow because the trees suck up all of the water and shade out the grass.

I have tried every grass type known to man and 'even' when I get growth .. it (the grass) dies away pretty quickly.
(no water, lots of shade)

Here is where I need some help ..

My back yard, which has the majority of trees and shade has what looks like patches of grass .. grass that gets zero water (except rain) and almost zero shade!

The thing is, this grass grows very heartily without any help from me or without sun and shade!?

It looks like there may be two different types and I am posting pictures of both in the hope that someone can confirm that this is in fact grass and what type(s) they are?

Thanks Everyone

Psst .. Threw in the flowers just cause they are pretty! :silly:

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Growing Grass In A Forest
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:04 pm »
I saw that headline and I thought you were going to tell us about your marijuana garden out in the woods.....

The Gifford Pinchot National Forest here in Washington produces the number 8 cash crop year after year........

:smokin:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:34:32 pm »
Thought of trying a chamomile lawn? While most breeds need sun or very light shade, there are varieties that can cope with heavy shade and they laugh at the toxins oaks or walnuts produce.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mrclose

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:42:30 pm »
Thought of trying a chamomile lawn? While most breeds need sun or very light shade, there are varieties that can cope with heavy shade and they laugh at the toxins oaks or walnuts produce.

My soil .. which isn't soil at all but clay is not a good drainer and a chamomile lawn would die quickly.
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:04:23 pm »
My soil .. which isn't soil at all but clay is not a good drainer and a chamomile lawn would die quickly.

Now that is a serious problem. We have heavy clay soil (London clay, sticky as hell) and so far, after a quarter century in the same house, have managed to get maybe 12 inches of good loam in the flower beds. That took masses of digging and literally tons of lime.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink