Author Topic: GOP senator wants missile shields for airplanes  (Read 583 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP senator wants missile shields for airplanes
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:28:58 pm »
http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/212690-gop-senator-wants-missile-shields-for-airplanes

By Keith Laing - 07/18/14 02:01 PM EDT

Sen. Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) is calling for commercial airplanes to be equipped with missile defense systems after a Malaysia Airlines flight was shot down over Ukraine on Thursday.

Kirk said Friday in an interview with CNN that the missile defense system would prevent a repeat of Thursday's crash, which killed the 298 passengers aboard the flight.

"I would have another suggestion that there is a system called DIRCM, which could potentially defeat heat-seeking missiles looking to shoot down a civilian airliner," Kirk said after calling for "one hell of a wrongful death suit" to be filed against Russia.

"It is an active defense system," Kirk continued. "DIRCM cost about $2 million each to blind a heat-seeking missile that is coming at you."

U.S. and Ukraine officials have said believe the flight was shot down by Russian separatists who have been battling Kiev in a dispute over the country's shared border with Russia.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said that Ukraine bears responsibility for shooting down the jetliner because the incident occured in the latter country's airspace.

Kirk said Friday that the evidence thus far points to Russia as being the culprit.

"It does appears the Buk missile system is so complicated that it would need a back-up from a nation state, like Russia," he said. "That would mean that Russian armed forces are directly involved in this wrongful death of roughly 300 people."

Only one of the nearly 300 passengers who were on board the downed plane have been found to be a U.S. citizen thus far, but Kirk said he still hoped the Department of Justice would get involved in the investigation of the incident.

"I want to hear that the Department of Justice will bring one hell of a wrongful death suit against Russian assets that are located in the United States to make sure there is a significant cost paid by Russia for this action of shooting down an international airliner with a weapons system that is directly related to the Russian forces," he said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: GOP senator wants missile shields for airplanes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:29:02 pm »
Know nothing about Sen. Kirk, except that he's a fool.

The Nemesis system, which is what he is referring to, is no panacea. It gives you maybe a 20% greater chance of evading a heat seeker, so you still have to be one hell of a pilot Commercial pilots may well be (and usually are) amazing, but they are working with aircraft that simply don't have the performance needed to out dance a seeker.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 07:39:24 am »
Know nothing about Sen. Kirk, except that he's a fool.

The Nemesis system, which is what he is referring to, is no panacea. It gives you maybe a 20% greater chance of evading a heat seeker, so you still have to be one hell of a pilot Commercial pilots may well be (and usually are) amazing, but they are working with aircraft that simply don't have the performance needed to out dance a seeker.

From where I sit, they shouldn't refer to it as "a tragedy".  A commercial airline was blown out of the sky and those who did so were giddy as schoolboys after getting their first handjob.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:50:28 am »
It drives me insane. Politicians see the word shield and immediately think Star Trek, where things bounce off harmlessly, except for the odd exploding bridge console.

Do they know how hard it is to evade even a low rent heat seeker? You got exactly three choices. Out run them, out dodge them, or distract them. The cheapass heat seekers - fire a flare or waste a missile and they lose lock and chase that instead. You ain't going to outrun them, they are a minimum of twice as fast as you. That leaves dodging if you are running dry, which requires two people in perfect harmony and St. Michael sitting shotgun and pissed off.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink