Author Topic: John McCain: US May Have Stayed Out Iraq If I Had Been President  (Read 490 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=583463

Newsmax
John McCain: US May Have Stayed Out Iraq If I Had Been President
Friday, July 18, 2014 08:14 AM

By: Sandy Fitzgerald

Sen. John McCain, one of the most vocal defenders of the war in Iraq, says if he had been elected president in 2000 the United States might never have gotten involved.

“You’ll find this surprising, but I think I would have been more reluctant to commit American troops," the Arizona Republican said at a Washington event hosted by CNN and National Journal Thursday. National Journal carried a video of McCain's remarks on its website.

McCain said he still believes troops had to be sent to Afghanistan.

"Anybody who believed after 9/11, and we knew the Taliban sheltered al-Qaida...we had to go to Afghanistan," McCain said at the event.

McCain said that his military background, along with his experience in Washington would have allowed him to see through the "flimsy" evidence on Iraq, had he defeated former President George W. Bush for the Republican nomination in 2000 and then had become president.

“I think I would have challenged the evidence with more scrutiny,” McCain said. “I hope that I would have been able to see through the evidence that was presented at the time."

McCain said he is not blaming Bush for how he handled the run-up to the war, which cost more than 4,400 American lives. Further, he's not sure he would vote differently as a senator if he were presented with the same evidence today.

The 2008 GOP presidential nominee told reporters that he voted for the war because he relied on and trusted the credibility of former Secretary of State Colin Powell on Iraq.

“In Iraq in 2003, the secretary of state, one of the most respected men in America, went to the United Nations Security Council and alleged that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction,” McCain said. “If presented with that same evidence today, I would vote the same way. I respected and trusted the Secretary of State Colin Powell."

However, he said, "it’s obvious now, in retrospect, that Saddam Hussein, though he had used weapons of mass destruction, did not have the inventory that we seemed to have evidence, which now looking back on it with benefit of some hindsight was very flimsy."

McCain has opposed President Barack Obama's removal of troops from the war-torn country, and advocates air strikes against the Islamic State, formerly known as ISIS, which has overrun most of Iraq's major cities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqti2_VQBpw
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: John McCain: US May Have Stayed Out Iraq If I Had Been President
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 03:11:55 pm »
Oh. please.

McCain never met a war he didn't like.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 07:15:28 pm »
I love you John but STFU.  You ain't President, so it don't matter.  Unless you think you're running again.

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 08:02:43 pm »
What a load John.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 08:24:40 pm »
I really want to like McCain. I admire what he's done. But he seems to be on a mission to get people like me to dislike him.