Author Topic: Wainwright backs off initial comment, says he didn't 'groove' Jeter's pitches  (Read 682 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Wainwright backs off initial comment, says he didn't 'groove' Jeter's pitches

National League starting pitcher Adam Wainwright backed off comments that he had given Derek Jeter something to hit in Tuesday's All-Star Game.

Wainwright initially said that he had grooved Jeter a couple pitches. The Yankees' shortstop slapped a double down the right field line off the Cardinals' ace in the first inning.

"I was going to give him a couple pipe shots,"........ "He deserved it."

But after the game, Wainwright, who gave up three earned runs in the first, including a two-run blast by Detroit Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera, took back his statement.

Sometimes the reaction is from a dumb comment. I hate that a dumb comment came after a poor performance … If I'm going to get taken to the slaughterhouse for saying a stupid comment, then I deserve it." Wainwright said, via CBSSports.com. "I messed up. I didn't mess up in that way [throwing cupcakes]. I messed up speaking." 

more at:    http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/16/adam-wainwright-derek-jeter-all-star-game

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

Wouldn't it be something if St. Louis reaches the World Series and loses GAME 7 in the bottom of the 9th?

The winner of the All-Star Game gets home field advantage.....playing 4 of 7 in the American League park....due to a 5-3 win.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Wainwright probably had to, lest he get himself banned from baseball. Others have been banned for less.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DCPatriot

Wainwright probably had to, lest he get himself banned from baseball. Others have been banned for less.

Had to....what?  Groove pitches?

That's nonsense.   :whistle:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Had to....what?  Groove pitches?

That's nonsense.   :whistle:
No, had to walk back his comments. (Sorry for the ambiguity.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024