Author Topic: Dick Cheney: Expect 'Far Deadlier' Terror Attack Within Decade  (Read 3796 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Dick Cheney: Expect 'Far Deadlier' Terror Attack Within Decade
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:41 pm »
I don't mean to rub salt in any wounds, but another highlight of my tour at LSO School was the opportunity to meet, chat with and hear a personal debrief of the mission he led for Argentinian Naval Air Force against HMS Sheffield, from Capitán de Fragata  Augusto Bedacarratz.  Either he or his wingman hit Sheffield with an Exocet.  He was their Chief LSO and came to the US periodically to train with the US Navy, check his LSOs out on our carrier landing simulator and operate on our flight decks whenever possible.  Hell of a guy, enormous bushy moustache, and tells one hell of a combat war story...I've never seen a pilot with a flight jacket covered with more patches than his.  I swear his jacket was made of overlapping squadron and unit patches.

:beer:

I envy you that chance, and no salt rubbed! The Sheffield was a horrible mess (anyone who had the tiniest bit of medical training, fire fighting training or SAR training were grabbed and used. Don't think any of us could eat pork for months afterwards.) but I never heard one grunt or swabbie ever blame the pilot for the launch. He were doing his job, just as we were. Came in at the perfect time when our air cover was dispersed, saw the shot and took it. He'd have been derelict in his duty if he hadn't.

It's another thing that separates military from civilian - they find it very hard or impossible to believe that we rarely take it personally. Personal indignation and revenge is for geeing up the folks back home, not for work. When we took Port Stanley, the Argentinian prisoners were held in a warehouse, guarded by a single squad. The guards were not to prevent them escaping, they were to protect them from any civ with ideas of payback.

In some ways, that is a failing now. AQ and it's affiliates are not military. They are rabble with weapons. It needs a different mindset to combat, one that goes against nearly everything painfully knocked into you in training. I mean - was bomb baiting even a thing when you served? It's standard here - and has a need of a completely new doctrine to deal with it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2014, 03:08:41 am »
mass asks:
[[ Just exactly who are we supposed to support in the Middle East in order to prevent the next 9/11?  ]]

No one. Not a one of them.
If they are islamic, they are enemies of The West.
They cannot be trusted (that doesn't mean they can't be used or useful to us).

That's the reality of The West insofar as islam is concerned.

My opinion only, worth what you paid for it.
Others' will be different.

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2014, 03:20:45 am »
EC wrote:
[[ With both respect and sorrow - you are not going to prevent the next 9/11. It may happen tomorrow, or it may happen in a decade, but it will happen. ]]

A thoughtful comment, and I cannot disagree with you.
This is probably coming, particularly if the democrats remain in power after 2017, but I doubt that even a Republican president would (or could) do much to really prevent it.

What will matter is the severity of the attack. Seems to me that world-class terrorism (islamic style) is a game of one-upsmanship. That is to say, you've got to do something "bigger and better" than last time.

The islamic world has its eyes on the prize. They want "the big one", and we all know what that is. DC is probably too hard a target, New York City might or might not be. But there are other cities where a crushing blow for muhammed might be struck.

The 9/11 attack was "the clarion call" -- the sounding of the battle cry, a summoning to arms.

It's what will happen AFTER the next attack that determines the destiny of The West.

Tell me something. You sound like someone with military experience. There seem to be many others here. My time in the military was short (I was drafted, twice, actually), and inconsequential.

What do -you- think an "appropriate" response to the next 9/11 should be ??

SPQR

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2014, 03:28:36 am »
I would expect a terrorist shoot down a commmercial liner with a MANPAD of some type within the next ten years. Destroying a city either with a "dirty" bomb or a MIRV. The MIRV would have to be constructed piece by piece and loaded in a truck. I would choose a MIRV because it would pack the most punch and there are so many of them in countries that are not friendly to the West. The purpose of the MIRV is to greater target damage for a given missile payload. Radiation (including radiated heat) from a nuclear warhead diminishes as the square of the distance (called the inverse-square law), and blast pressure diminishes as the cube of the distance.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:48:09 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2014, 06:19:12 am »
I would expect a terrorist shoot down a commmercial liner with a MANPAD of some type within the next ten years. Destroying a city either with a "dirty" bomb or a MIRV. The MIRV would have to be constructed piece by piece and loaded in a truck. I would choose a MIRV because it would pack the most punch and there are so many of them in countries that are not friendly to the West. The purpose of the MIRV is to greater target damage for a given missile payload. Radiation (including radiated heat) from a nuclear warhead diminishes as the square of the distance (called the inverse-square law), and blast pressure diminishes as the cube of the distance.

I will go as far as the warhead coming from a Eurasian country. Maybe Iran, Pakistan or if North Korea went absolutely psychotic from one of their arsenal or a collaboration of both.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:20:05 am by Trigger »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2014, 09:41:24 am »
Tell me something. You sound like someone with military experience. There seem to be many others here. My time in the military was short (I was drafted, twice, actually), and inconsequential.

What do -you- think an "appropriate" response to the next 9/11 should be ??

Find them. Kill them, down to the very cockroaches in the walls. If you want to ask them a few questions first, by all means. Give the interrogators an hour or so, and use drugs. Then they disappear for good. No trials, no detention, no bargains. They simply cease to exist, along with their entire families. They want to play terror - then lets play it back at them.

The problem of the support network is more tricky. What do you do with a government that colludes with terrorists, even if by only turning a blind eye to their actions? Afghanistan showed that while you can swing in and topple a government fairly easily, what fills the power vacuum tends to be worse in the long run.

With an atrocity on the level of 9/11, you do have unanimity of the big 4, so isolating the offending government will work. I mean total isolation. No aid, no imports, no exports, no travel, all assets outside the country completely frozen or confiscated to recompense companies that have lost contracts with said country. Not every company can take the financial hit of a big contract being frozen, so it'd be justice of a sort. Enough patty-cake playing.

I agree about the "one-upping" terrorists seem to go for. The IRA fell into that trap for a while too, as did the Bader - Myerhofs. They are still people and want to make a big splash. It's a puppy mistake, and one they will stop making at some stage. There are disturbing signs from Syria, Iraq and Nigeria that they are starting to understand that a constant low grade level of terror is far more debilitating and effective in the long run than big flashy displays.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2014, 03:59:17 pm »
Very thoughtful and insightful post.  Maybe as ISIS comes at Baghdad driving US Humvees and carrying m-16's someone's curiosity will be aroused.  But I doubt it.

Me too.  Too many are too invested in what they know in their heart to be "true."  And so it goes....

SPQR

« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2014, 05:13:51 pm »
I will go as far as the warhead coming from a Eurasian country. Maybe Iran, Pakistan or if North Korea went absolutely psychotic from one of their arsenal or a collaboration of both.

I did forget suitcase bombs.Thus far, only the United States and the Soviet Union/Russian Federation are known to have possessed nuclear weapons programs developed and funded well enough to manufacture miniaturized nuclear weapons

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/RL32572.pdf

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2014, 06:48:35 pm »
Since Sept 2001 you have all been hearing "we will get hit again -  It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN".  And not one person on this thread, I don't think has ever doubted it or voiced an opinion against it.   Not until  Dick Cheney says it, then because of  a certain minority here that have such a distaste for that man it now becomes a controversial statement and generates a thread with over 50 replies and growing, either defending his statement or tearing it down.    Come on now, isn’t  the real reason this thread is lasting  so long is because of Dick Cheney – love him or hate him?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2014, 06:52:29 pm »
Since Sept 2001 you have all been hearing "we will get hit again -  It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN".  And not one person on this thread, I don't think has ever doubted it or voiced an opinion against it.   Not until  Dick Cheney says it, then because of  a certain minority here that have such a distaste for that man it now becomes a controversial statement and generates a thread with over 50 replies and growing, either defending his statement or tearing it down.    Come on now, isn’t  the real reason this thread is lasting  so long is because of Dick Cheney – love him or hate him?

I think you are EXACTLY right! And I will gladly tell you that the 2000 ticket would have been Cheney/Bush if I'd had my way!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »

Creating an arbitrary time limit before we are attacked again is nothing but a bad attempt at fear mongering.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline musiclady

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2014, 08:17:35 pm »

One more option............deeply, DEEPLY respect him!  The man knows what he's talking about, and wouldn't be out there sounding (a much needed) warning, if there weren't a very good reason for it.

After all the endless lies and attacks he's endured from the mindless left, he could be just sitting at home enjoying life.

In stead, he's out there trying to wake people up.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2014, 08:49:01 pm »
I'm not fond of him.

It's not that the message is wrong, he's a smart guy and knows his stuff. It's just the way he puts it. You can color me slightly shallow for that, but I really do prefer to be treated as an adult. Dad can talk to me like I am a kid, and my wife can talk to me like I am an idiot (probably both respectively true). No one else gets that right.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2014, 10:24:30 pm »
I'm not fond of him.

It's not that the message is wrong, he's a smart guy and knows his stuff. It's just the way he puts it. You can color me slightly shallow for that, but I really do prefer to be treated as an adult. Dad can talk to me like I am a kid, and my wife can talk to me like I am an idiot (probably both respectively true). No one else gets that right.

I have great respect for his public service over the years, and I think he has a great military mind.  Unfortunately, methinks he's still thinking the USA can keep a genie in a bottle when in truth the genie has already been let out of the bottle. 

Online Fishrrman

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2014, 04:00:38 am »
EC wrote above:
[[ Find them. Kill them, down to the very cockroaches in the walls. If you want to ask them a few questions first, by all means. Give the interrogators an hour or so, and use drugs. Then they disappear for good. No trials, no detention, no bargains. They simply cease to exist, along with their entire families. They want to play terror - then lets play it back at them. ]]

Nope, this won't work with the followers of muhammed. In fact, we already tried that once, no, twice before.

Doesn't work. You're attempting a "military response" to a problem that transcends the ability of any military on earth to conquer it, including ours.

I'll give you an anecdotal story. Probably don't mean nuthin', I ain't that smart:

Down in my backyard, there are a couple of old apple trees.

The apples aren't good for eating, and each autumn they fall to the ground, and I have to clean them up and throw them against the fence.

I can get rid of every one of them that fall this year -- but NEXT YEAR, they'll be right back there, and I'll have to do it all over again.

There's one way I can assure that I'll never have to clean up those apples again.
That is to say, cut down the trees from which they fall.

Now, told you that to tell you this:

The "terrorists" of today are but a few of this year's crop of bad apples. Makes no difference if we get rid of every one of them, even with extreme prejudice.

They will soon be back again.

If we want to forever get rid of of islam's bad apples, what must we do to "the tree" from which they fall?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2014, 10:12:51 am »
A fair point and a fair analogy.  :beer:

Though even if you cut the trees down, what then? The roots are still there and may send up new shoots. It's a respite, nothing more. Or if the trees do not re-sprout, something will take their place. It always does. Better to leave the trees. Graft a variety onto the trunk that produces pleasant tasting apples, and lets face it, the bitter ones can always be pulped for cider. (my tactic as outlined above  :laugh: ).

After all - the one advantage of keeping the trees is you always know where the apples are.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2014, 12:10:02 pm »
1.  Containment is no longer a viable strategy with the availability of nuclear weapons.

2.  What brought down the Ottoman Empire?  The supposed "Sick Man of Europe"?  Think "Caliphate vs Cells".

3.  There is a military solution and it goes back to Caliphate.

We are looking at a military solution from one point of view, one military.  Islam is a hydra.  We kill one head, two heads sprout back.  The Russians have Chechnya, the Chinese the Uighars, Europe the Islamic Diaspora, the United States has Iran.  All have some form of terrorism.
The strategy is both simple and difficult.  President Bush 2 had it correct.  This is going to be a long war, many battles.  Slacker Jones gets elected and suddenly it over.  We've won.  Like "Jeannie" or "Samantha", he crossed his arms and blinked or twitched his little nose and no more problem.
The problem is, the war on Islam is in each nation's interest but not yet on the world's interest.  The current response is like firefighting, a flash here we fight here.  Flames there, we fight there.  The mistrust between nations is greater than the desire to end this virus once and for all.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

SPQR

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2014, 04:37:14 am »
Written in June 27

I would expect a terrorist shoot down a commmercial liner with a MANPAD of some type within the next ten years.

I predicted this. It turned out to be a military Missile rather a MANPAD

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2014, 05:00:56 am »
Written in June 27

I would expect a terrorist shoot down a commmercial liner with a MANPAD of some type within the next ten years.

I predicted this. It turned out to be a military Missile rather a MANPAD

I expect more to come. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!