Author Topic: Iraqi army retreats from Tikrit after assault stalls  (Read 410 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Iraqi army retreats from Tikrit after assault stalls
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:09:33 am »
Worth posting. A few readers here know the ground.

(Reuters) - Iraqi forces have withdrawn from the militant-held city of Tikrit after their new offensive met heavy resistance, in a blow to the government effort to push back Sunni insurgents controlling large parts of the country.

The failure highlights the difficulties of Baghdad's struggle to recapture territory from the insurgents who seized Mosul, Tikrit and other cities last month in a rapid offensive which threatens to fragment Iraq on ethnic and sectarian lines.

The setback came as Iraqi politicians named a moderate Sunni Islamist as speaker of parliament on Tuesday. That was a long-delayed first step towards a power-sharing government urgently needed to confront the militants, who are led by the al Qaeda offshoot Islamic State.

It is unclear if the election of Salim al-Jabouri as speaker will break the broader deadlock over Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki's bid to serve a third term. He has ruled since the April election as a caretaker.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/16/us-iraq-security-idUSKBN0FL0U720140716
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline olde north church

Re: Iraqi army retreats from Tikrit after assault stalls
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:00:20 am »
One can only wonder why Porky Al-Sadr's "army" isn't ready to march against these people the way they were going to go against the US, UK and allies.  Or was that just bluster and posturing but powerful enough to get us to turn tail and run?  This "hearts and minds" is a brilliant strategy.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Iraqi army retreats from Tikrit after assault stalls
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 11:15:28 am »
A fair question.

Most of them - they have had nigh on 3 years of constant combat now in Syria - as in shooting combat, not training. The survivors are either incredibly capable or incredibly lucky. While I admire US forces - they train more than actually getting shot at. Someone who is used to being shot at has a fractional second advantage in any confrontation.

They don't give a crap about Syria. It was nothing more than a live fire training ground for what they really want.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink