Author Topic: Could California be split into six? Billionaire's plan to divide the Golden State gets enough signatures to make it onto 2016 ballot  (Read 853 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2692747/Could-California-split-six-Billionaire-s-plan-divide-Golden-State-gets-signatures-make-2016-ballot.html

A multi-millionaire who believes California should be separated into six separate states says he has gathered enough signatures to place it on the ballot in two years.

Venture capitalist Tim Draper, 55, says the Golden State is too large to govern efficiently, and that people living there would be better served by a more localised government.

The technology investor has proposed splitting the state into six: San Diego and Orange County would become South California, Los Angeles and Santa Barbara would make up West California, the Sacramento area would be known as North California, and Bakersfield, Fresno and Stockton would make up Central California.

Offline flowers

I know this really has no chance of happening.  who would benefit from this?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

I agree it will never happen.  Obviously, there are a lot of people in the state that don't feel a connection coming from the state of California.  Business people have got to be feeling it.  I think we all would benefit from something like this.  California is too big to govern with a one-size-fits-all approach and that's why people are fleeing.  New York can't be too far behind. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline GourmetDan

California is too big to govern with a one-size-fits-all approach and that's why people are fleeing.  New York can't be too far behind.

It's not that they're too big to govern, it's that too much political power is concentrated at too high a level.

Lack of accountability always results in lack of responsiveness...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

The way things are going right now at what used to be the border, I think it is much more likely that all of Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Texas will be seized and turned into a new Aztlan. 

The army that will do the seizing has been coming across the border for years.....

Offline Relic

The way things are going right now at what used to be the border, I think it is much more likely that all of Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Texas will be seized and turned into a new Aztlan. 

The army that will do the seizing has been coming across the border for years.....

U.S. Navy destroyer stops four Mexicans rowing towards California.

The Captain gets on the bullhorn and shouts,

"Ahoy, small craft. Where are you headed?"

One of the Mexicans puts down his oar, stands up, and shouts,

"Gringo, we are invading the United States of America to reclaim The territory taken by the USA during the 1800's."

The entire crew on the destroyer doubles over in laughter. When the
 Captain finally catches his breath, he gets back on the bullhorn and asks, "Just
 the four of you?"

The same Mexican stands up again and shouts, "No, we're the last
 four. The other 12 million are already there."

Offline GourmetDan

More likely that the North American Union and the Amero will appear first.

WikiLeaks Exposes North American Integration Plot

That's likely what all this 'immigration reform' is really about...

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:49:36 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Just what we need.  Ten additional Senators and a couple of dozen Congressmen....of the Progressive bent.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Just what we need.  Ten additional Senators and a couple of dozen Congressmen....of the Progressive bent.
Actually, if the state is divided into six, a good chunk of the new states would probably be solid red states, newly liberated from the coastal cities.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Actually, if the state is divided into six, a good chunk of the new states would probably be solid red states, newly liberated from the coastal cities.

Love your 'glass half full' approach, friend.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I agree it will never happen.  Obviously, there are a lot of people in the state that don't feel a connection coming from the state of California.  Business people have got to be feeling it.  I think we all would benefit from something like this.  California is too big to govern with a one-size-fits-all approach and that's why people are fleeing.  New York can't be too far behind.
I wish New York were the next shoe to drop, but referendum is far more difficult up here. I mean, it exists, but usually the referendum questions are put up by the legislature, and the legislature is controlled by "One New Yorkers" who will stop at nothing to hold onto power.

There's been inklings of movement to split the state for decades, but nothing's ever gotten out of committee.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

Democrats.  They six "states" would all be liberal so that would give the commiecrats that much more power in congress - if there is one in 2016.

Offline raml

Not true the state is not a real blue state most of it is red only the population centers of LA and SF are progressives so no it would not mean more dem senators and reps.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
At best it would be a 6-6 wash of Senators or worse a 2-4 gain for Democrats.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton