Author Topic: Behind the scenes at the Clinton White House (new book by Daniel Halper describes contrived repentance)  (Read 787 times)

Online mountaineer

Behind the scenes at the Clinton White House
By Geoff Earle
July 15, 2014 | 2:14am
WASHINGTON — It was an enduring image of his presidency: a chastened Bill Clinton walking his dog while wife Hillary keeps her distance as the family leaves town at the height of the Monica Lewinsky scandal — but it was all part of a contrived public-repentance campaign, according to a new book.

With Bill on the skids and his wife’s future prospects on the line, it was necessary for the pubic to see the president being punished, said Weekly Standard online editor Daniel Halper in his new book, “Clinton, Inc.: The Audacious Rebuilding of a Political Machine.”

“They understood that politics is all about narrative,” a senior Clinton aide allegedly told Halper. “He had to go to the doghouse — literally. That wasn’t spontaneous!”

Halper said the former first lady became such a sympathetic figure after the Lewinsky scandal that it might have been “the best thing to ever happen to” her politically.

The book, coming out July 22, recounts how the Clintons boosted their mutual prospects by granting favors, holding grudges, cultivating allies, spinning media reports and obliterating opponents.

Halper describes Clinton as positioning herself for a run for the US Senate from New York long before Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY) suggested the idea, tacking extra visits to the state onto her schedule during her husband’s second term.

One person described as not keen on the idea of Clinton joining the Senate is Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY), who was so fearful of being up-staged he coached Rep. Rick Lazio (R-LI), Clinton’s eventual Republican opponent, on his 2000 campaign, according to Lazio.

“I thought he was generally . . . he was supportive,” Lazio said of Schumer. “Quite helpful to me behind the scenes and encouraging.”

Sources detail the Clintons’ long memories for those who have crossed them. Bill Clinton “still hates” former aide George Stephanopoulos, according to a source, because the ABC host wrote a critical book of his time in the White House.

Bill Richardson, who served as Clinton’s ambassador to the UN, still finds himself frozen out for daring to back Barack Obama over Hillary in 2008.

“Every relationship he has is mainly about him and not about the other person,” Richardson told the author.

And a former Secret Service agent complained Hillary was a back-seat driver, saying she “didn’t know the streets, I think, as well as we did.”

The book’s tone is skeptical when it describes the head injury that landed Clinton in the hospital at the end of her tenure as Secretary of State, raising the possibility that she had a stroke but without offering any new evidence.

But not all the tidbits reflect poorly on Clinton’s talents.

One passage tells how Hillary tended to relationships with former critics in the Senate and built a “virtual dossier of praise and support” from top Republicans who might be prone to criticize her.
New York Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

In other Clinton news from today's New York Post:
Bill Clinton cracks Jewish joke to a bunch of Jewish Republicans
By Geoff Earle
July 15, 2014 | 2:07am

WASHINGTON — He’s known as the consummate politician, but Bill Clinton’s instincts sometimes go haywire — like when he told a questionable Jewish joke to a group of stunned Jewish Republicans, according to a new book.

The joke — which Clinton reportedly told at the 2003 Preakness Stakes in Baltimore — describes two Jews walking by a church that is offering $100 to people who convert.

“Surely the former president of the United States is not about to tell an anti-Semitic story . . . This, of course, is exactly what he does,” reported Weekly Standard online editor Daniel Halper, author of “Clinton, Inc.”

Abe, one of the Jews, takes the cash and promises to give half to his pal.

“Hey! Look at the new Catholic here,” Abe’s friend says. “You got my money?”

The recently converted Abe responds: “You ­f–king Jews. It’s all about the money, isn’t it?”

The joke fell flat, Halper said.

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2692966/The-Lewinsky-affair-best-thing-happen-Hillarys-career-claims-new-book.html

Bill's affair with former White House intern Monica Lewinsky may have been 'the best thing to ever happen to' Hillary Clinton's career, says journalist Daniel Halper in his soon to be released book about the Clintons.

According to the New York Post, which leaked portions of Halper's new book, Clinton, Inc.: The Audacious Rebuilding of a Political Machine, this morning, the Weekly Standard editor also claims that it was all part of the Clintons' plans for Hillary to appear distant from Bill in public during the height of gossip about Bill's philandering.

The Clintons wanted Hillary to appear as sympathetic to the public as possible to boost her own political ambitions, a senior Clinton aide reportedly told Halper.

'They understood that politics is all about narrative,' the aide allegedly said.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??

Online mountaineer

I don't recall the Hilldebeeste as a particularly sympathetic figure in the Lewinsky days, but I guess I'm prejudiced.  :shrug:

Online Right_in_Virginia

Offline PzLdr

I don't recall the Hilldebeeste as a particularly sympathetic figure in the Lewinsky days, but I guess I'm prejudiced.  :shrug:

Don't be so hard on yourself. It might just be our ancestral antipathy to reptiles playing  out.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee