Author Topic: UK foreign secretary resigns amid reshuffle  (Read 350 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
UK foreign secretary resigns amid reshuffle
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:58 pm »
British Foreign Secretary William Hague has announced he is stepping down from his post and will not stand for election as a Member of Parliament in next year's general election in May.

"Tonight I am standing down as Foreign Secretary after four years to serve as Leader of the House of Commons," he announced on his official Twitter account on Tuesday.

"From May 2015, after such a long period in politics I want to embark on many other things I have always wanted to do.

"Renewal in politics is good, and holding office is not an end in itself. After 26 years as an MP time will be right for me to move on."

Prime Minister David Cameron, the leader of the Conservatives, the main party in the ruling coalition, is carrying out what is expected to be a final reshuffle of top government jobs before the election and is expected to announce a raft of new appointments on Tuesday.

Hague, who was first elected to the House of Commons in 1989, said he would continue to work as a special envoy on ending sexual violence.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2014/07/uk-foreign-secretary-resigns-amid-reshuffle-201471421202215511.html

Interesting. A few of the old familiar faces seem to be going. Cameron is going all out on re-branding.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink