Author Topic: Rick Perry Is Dead Wrong By SEN. RAND PAUL  (Read 563 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rick Perry Is Dead Wrong By SEN. RAND PAUL
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:48 pm »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/07/rick-perry-is-dead-wrong-108860.html?hp=f3#.U8PTFfldUfV

Rick Perry Is Dead Wrong
By SEN. RAND PAUL July 14, 2014

There are many things I like about Texas Gov. Rick Perry, including his stance on the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution. But apparently his new glasses haven’t altered his perception of the world, or allowed him to see it any more clearly.

There are obviously many important events going on in the world right now, but with 60,000 foreign children streaming across the Texas border, I am surprised Governor Perry has apparently still found time to mischaracterize and attack my foreign policy.

Governor Perry writes a fictionalized account of my foreign policy so mischaracterizing my views that I wonder if he’s even really read any of my policy papers.

In fact, some of Perry’s solutions for the current chaos in Iraq aren’t much different from what I’ve proposed, something he fails to mention. His solutions also aren’t much different from President Barack Obama’s, something he also fails to mention. Because interestingly enough, there aren’t that many good choices right now in dealing with this situation in Iraq.

Perry says there are no good options. I’ve said the same thing. President Obama has said the same thing. So what are Perry’s solutions and why does he think they are so bold and different than anyone else’s?

He writes in the Washington Post, “the president can and must do more with our military and intelligence communities to help cripple the Islamic State. Meaningful assistance can include intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance sharing and airstrikes.”

The United States is actually doing all of this now. President Obama has said he might use airstrikes in the future. I have also been open to the same option if it makes sense.

I support continuing our assistance to the government of Iraq, which include armaments and intelligence. I support using advanced technology to prevent ISIS from becoming a threat. I also want to stop sending U.S. aid and arms to Islamic rebels in Syria who are allied with ISIS, something Perry doesn’t even address. I would argue that if anything, my ideas for this crisis are both stronger, and not rooted simply in bluster.

If the governor continues to insist that these proposals mean I’m somehow “ignoring ISIS,” I’ll make it my personal policy to ignore Rick Perry’s opinions.

But the governor and I do have at least one major foreign policy difference, something Perry also conveniently fails to mention.

Said Perry forthrightly during a Republican presidential primary debate in 2012, “I would send troops back into Iraq.” Obviously, this is something he advocated long before the rise of ISIS. At the time, Perry urged the United States to return troops to Iraq to act as a balance against Iran, a country my colleague Sen. Lindsey Graham says we must work with to help beat back the extremists.

Does Perry now believe that we should send U.S. troops back into Iraq to fight the Iranians—or to help Iran fight ISIS? As everyone agrees, governor, there are no easy options.

Unlike Perry, I oppose sending American troops back into Iraq. After a decade of the United States training the Iraq’s military, when confronted by the enemy, the Iraqis dropped their weapons, shed their uniforms and hid. Our soldiers’ hard work and sacrifice should be worth more than that. Our military is too good for that.

I ask Governor Perry: How many Americans should send their sons or daughters to die for a foreign country — a nation the Iraqis won’t defend for themselves? How many Texan mothers and fathers will Governor Perry ask to send their children to fight in Iraq?

I will not hold my breath for an answer. If refusing to send Americans to die for a country that refuses to defend itself makes one an “isolationist,” then perhaps its time we finally retire that pejorative.

Today, the overwhelming majority of Americans don’t want to send U.S. soldiers back into Iraq. Is Perry calling the entire country “isolationist” too?

The let’s-intervene-and-consider-the-consequences-later crowd left us with more than 4,000 Americans dead, over 2 million refugees and over trillions of dollars in debt. Anytime someone advocates sending our sons and daughters to war, questions about precise objectives, effective methods and an exit strategy must be thoughtfully answered. America deserves this. Our military certainly deserves this.

Tough talk like Perry’s might inspire some for the moment, but when bombast becomes policy it can have long and disastrous consequences. It is vitally important that we remember past mistakes so that we learn from them. When Megyn Kelly of Fox News tells Dick Cheney that “history has proven that you got it wrong” on Iraq, it is a very important lesson—we must remember that history so we don’t repeat it.

Perry seems entirely comfortable repeating the history, the rhetoric and presumably, the mistakes.

This is where many in my own party, similar to Perry, get it so wrong regarding Ronald Reagan’s doctrine of “peace through strength.” Strength does not always mean war. Reagan ended the Cold War without going to war with Russia. He achieved a relative peace with the Soviet Union—the greatest existential threat to the United States in our history—through strong diplomacy and moral leadership.

Reagan had no easy options either. But he did the best he could with the hand he was dealt. Some of Reagan’s Republican champions today praise his rhetoric but forget his actions. Reagan was stern, but he wasn’t stupid. Reagan hated war, particularly the specter of nuclear war. Unlike his more hawkish critics—and there were many—Reagan was always thoughtful and cautious.

But above all, he was strong. America must always be strong.

On foreign policy, Perry couldn’t be more stuck in the past, doubling down on formulas that haven’t worked, parroting rhetoric that doesn’t make sense and reinforcing petulant attitudes that have cost our nation a great deal.

If repeating the same mistakes over and over again is what Perry advocates in U.S. foreign policy, or any other policy, he really should run for president. In Washington, he’d fit right in, because leading Republicans and Democrats not only supported the Iraq war in the first place, but leaders of both parties campaigned on it in 2008.

Any future military action by the United States must always be based on an assessment of what has worked and what hasn’t. This basic, common sense precondition is something leaders in both parties have habitually failed to meet.

The governor of Texas insists on proving he’s no different.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/07/rick-perry-is-dead-wrong-108860.html#ixzz37RmQctlG
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Rick Perry Is Dead Wrong By SEN. RAND PAUL
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:41 pm »

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”

― Alan Greenspan
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:46 pm »
The question for me is why Rand Paul would bother to pen an attack on Perry when Perry's attack on him never really appeared on the radar.  There will be plenty of opportunities for Paul to respond and differentiate himself on foreign policy without bringing attention to a rival who has very low voter share at this point.  Plus, a lot of this is just petty. 

I intend to support Rand Paul in the primary.  For him to succeed he must be a uniter.  This piece reeks of politics.  Rand Paul should be above that.  He could have written more about a vision of America as a force in the world based on our strength and moral authority, both of which have eroded significantly under Obama.  Instead he argues minutia with Rick Perry.

Rand, take my advice and model yourself after Thomas Jefferson.  That is what the nation yearns for right now.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:02 pm »

I intend to support Rand Paul in the primary.  For him to succeed he must be a uniter.  This piece reeks of politics.  Rand Paul should be above that.  He could have written more about a vision of America as a force in the world based on our strength and moral authority, both of which have eroded significantly under Obama.  Instead he argues minutia with Rick Perry.

Rand may be the smartest guy in the room, but making sure everybody knows that never won an election.

Perry may not be a genius like Rand, but he connects with average voters by framing arguments in terms they can agree with.

It's a liberal tactic (e.g. Clintoon & Bambi) to cast pols as uber-intelligent 'leaders' or bumbling idiots, mostly because their voters are so stupid...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:55:22 pm »
Starting off with a crack about Perry's glasses smacks of childishness to me. Rand - like most Republicans - needs to grasp that intra-party squabbles only aid the enemy (Obama and the Democrat party).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 05:41:15 am »
There were a neat little litmus test for candidates back in the late 60's.

a/ would you go for a beer with this person?
b/ would you let this person babysit/house sit?
c/ would you buy a used car from this person?

It's crude, but effective.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 10:28:52 am »
Just speculating, but maybe the senator didn't write this. Wasn't there a speech on the Internet recently that was supposedly given by Rick Perry that turned out not to be, and was in fact phony? Maybe this editorial is phony. Sure doesn't sound like Rand Paul.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:38 am »
Just speculating, but maybe the senator didn't write this. Wasn't there a speech on the Internet recently that was supposedly given by Rick Perry that turned out not to be, and was in fact phony? Maybe this editorial is phony. Sure doesn't sound like Rand Paul.

It is real.  It is being discussed on MSM outlets like Fox News.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:21:08 pm »
It is real.  It is being discussed on MSM outlets like Fox News.

I thought Rand Paul was smarter than this.

Politics is a fine profession, except for one thing. It's lousy with politicians.