Author Topic: The BBQ joint where NO ONE cuts the line... except Obama: Controversy as President becomes the first person ever to jump ahead at restaurant where customers can wait three hours  (Read 1184 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2688080/Wheres-beef-Obama-flashes-sad-wad-1-bills-accidentally-revealing-credit-card-number-fumbles-trying-pay-Texas-restaurant.html

The president visited some Austin eatery Franklin Barbecue on Thursday
The line at Franklin can stretch several hours long, but Mr Obama skipped straight to the front of the line
Owner Aaron Franklin says no one is allowed to cut the line at his restaurant, but he made an exception for the president
Mr Obama paid for the order of the father and daughter who were waiting ahead of him
Spent more than $300 on brisket, ribs, sausage and turkey to feed the legions on Air Force One
Paid for the order with black credit card after awkwardly taking out a stack of dollar bills 

Offline mountaineer

Austin Residents Say Obama Was Way Out of Line with Sloppy BBQ Etiquette at Famous Food Joint 
By Soopermexican   19 hours ago 

If you think that Obama’s imperial presidency only gobbles up the powers of the legislative and the judicial, you’d be wrong! Especially if you happened to be waiting at a popular BBQ restaurant when his majesty cut in line, because after all, he’s better than you.

Here’s how Austin 360 described it:
Following his speech at the Paramount, President Obama’s motorcade traveled to Franklin Barbecue on East 11th Street. The restaurant is well known for its great brisket and extremely long waits, but the president circumvented that using the powers of his office.

“I know this is a long line. I feel real bad, but – I’m gonna cut,” Obama said, according to a pool report from the Statesman’s Chuck Lindell. Aaron Franklin told the Statesman’s Ciara O’Rourke that nobody cuts the line at Franklin … except Obama.

I don’t remember the power to cut in line at BBQ joints being in the Constitution, but then, I’m not a Harvard-educated Constitutional scholar, so I can’t be trusted. Apparently, neither can Austinite peasants who are upset that our socio-economic and intellectual superior made them wait:
“Austinites displeased by Obama’s previous choice of Stubb’s should approve of his final stop in Austin: Franklin Barbecue. There’s just one problem: the president cut the line. According to a pool report from The Statesman, Obama said, “I know this is a long line. I feel real bad, but – I’m gonna cut.” The Franklin Barbecue line regularly runs three, four, and even five hours long. Even Anthony Bourdain didn’t skip the line. According to a tweet from KEYETV’s Deeda Patton, owner Aaron Franklin believes the president was the first ever to cut the line. Austin’s tiny corner of the internet has exploded with feelings about what Obama reportedly called “exercising his executive power.”

Click on link to IJreview for more, including tweets from angry Austin residents.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
What was OPapaDoc'd plurality in Austin?  Three to one, maybe?  So once again, he screws his own constituents.  But not to worry.  All will be forgiven once the spinmeisters are done covering it with gushing customers announcing how proud they were to be in the line cut by their one and only messiah.

I live an hour from this place when I am at my Texas winter home, and I can tell you it is delicious but not worth a three hour wait.  Most of the line is tourists.  The locals know where there is better BBQ cheaper, and without the wait. 

Offline katzenjammer

I honestly can't say I've ever encountered food worth waiting two hours for, never mind the "three, four, and even five hours long" mentioned.

My limit is usually the "20 minutes" the hostess may quote (which usually translates to about 40-45 minutes of actual waiting!).

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
[[ The BBQ joint where NO ONE cuts the line... except Obama: Controversy as President becomes the first person ever to jump ahead at restaurant where customers can wait three hours... ]]

I don't care HOW good the food there may be -- anyone who would wait in line three HOURS for a meal, is just plain stupid...

Offline raml

Offline speekinout

Standing in line for 3-5 hours for anything is beyond me. I never did that for any celebrity idols, hit shows, President's Day sales, or whatever else makes people camp out. I can understand people doing that to get their kids into decent schools, but that's the only reason I can think of to stand in line that long.
Are there snack machines and portapottys for the people who have to stand in line that long?

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Title:
[[ The BBQ joint where NO ONE cuts the line... except Obama: Controversy as President becomes the first person ever to jump ahead at restaurant where customers can wait three hours... ]]

I don't care HOW good the food there may be -- anyone who would wait in line three HOURS for a meal, is just plain stupid...

LOL!   It adds a little context to the Yogi Berra line..."Nobody goes there anymore.  It's too crowded!" 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline flowers

The locals know where there is better BBQ cheaper, and without the wait.
May I ask the name of the place? 

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
May I ask the name of the place?

Most people would have to waterboard me first, but just between us try Micklethwait or Keith's. 

Offline NavyCanDo

A hacker worth his weight is  already trying to make purchases with Obama's credit card.   Want to fast-track ID theft, flash your card in a photo all over the web. Even the fuzzy photo is easy pickings for some of these talented ID theft criminals. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
I wonder if Obama could jump the line at The Crab Cooker.

It is not uncommon to see patrons waiting in lines snaking down the street. These lines once elevated The Crab Cooker to national headlines when advance staff for then President Richard Nixon once asked Mr. Roubian to allow the president to be seated for dinner, and Mr. Roubian informed them that the president would have to wait along with rest of the folks (he says any president would have gotten the same treatment).

Offline flowers

Offline mountaineer

Wednesday, July 16, 2014
You Will Know Them By Their Fruits –Matthew 7:15-20

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.  You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.  A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Therefore by their fruits you will know them.”

When is the last time you heard a good story about the President walking into a restaurant and being told a bawdy gay-sex joke by the cashier? I mean, besides never?

Chalk this up as another first for Big Guy’s historical presidency; here’s what happened when BHO cut in line at a BBQ joint in Austin Texas to buy a ton of meat:
As the president approached, Webb threw his hand down and slapped the counter dramatically. "Equal rights for gay people!"

"Are you gay?" the president asked.

"Only when I have sex," [Webb said.]

"That's when he laughed and said, 'Bump me,'" Webb says.
For that matter, when was the last time you heard a President ask somebody if they were gay? In public I mean.

Butt Daniel, the gay-when-he-has-sex “cashier girl” appears to have issues beyond the ho-hum garden variety of “gay” gender confusion:

Photo of Daniel, wearing his preferred drag of sequins

"I only wear sequins…It's super-showy, and also easy. Other dresses, I look stupid in. That's when I look like a man in a dress, as opposed to a queen."

So why does Daniel, the gay rights advocate and gender-bender wear dresses anyway?

"You can be a little bitchier, and it makes sense."

Okay, I think I’m beginning to see where he’s going with this:

“Does this sequined dress make me look bitchy?”

Rest of article and more photos at Michelle's Mirror

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

Offline GourmetDan

Mr Obama paid for the order of the father and daughter who were waiting ahead of him

Typical Bambi.

Should have paid for the people *behind* him since he cut them...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:36:28 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan