Author Topic: Nine Military Leaders: No 'Stand-Down' Order for Benghazi  (Read 403 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator

Support the USO

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Nine Military Leaders: No 'Stand-Down' Order for Benghazi
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »

Beyond questions of timing, the testimony of Rear Adm. Brian Losey, who was then Special Operations commander for Africa, also challenged the idea the team had the capacity to bolster security in Benghazi.

We have a commander named "Losey"?

No wonder we lost...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
"It was not a stand down order," he testified in March. "It was not, 'Hey, time for everybody to go to bed.' It was, you know, 'Don't go. Don't get on that plane. Remain in place.'"

"Initially, I was angry," Gibson said. "A tactical commander doesn't like to have those decisions taken away from him. But then once I digested it a little bit, then I realized, OK, maybe there was something else that was going on. Maybe I'm needed here for something else."

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. That's a stand down in anyone's book.

I feel a bit sorry for Col. Gibson. He's doing the justification thing - it helps him sleep of a night. Still, you obey orders, and hope that CentCom knows what they are doing. Usually a forlorn hope, but you just have to grit your teeth and pray.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. That's a stand down in anyone's book.

I feel a bit sorry for Col. Gibson. He's doing the justification thing - it helps him sleep of a night. Still, you obey orders, and hope that CentCom knows what they are doing. Usually a forlorn hope, but you just have to grit your teeth and pray.

I have no doubt at all that at some point someone gave an order to "stand down".  Remember that we also heard that General Carter Ham had been summarily relieved over the response to the attack, and we have never heard that whole story either.

:smokin:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »
I forgot about Gen. Ham!

Still - we got two separate problems. AfriCom simply couldn't send in to Libya from Sigonella or any assets available in international waters without a direct order from the President. We know that didn't happen, but technically a none issued go order is not a stand down.

The Tripoli team already had permission to operate in Libya. Theoretically (and with a bit of creative stretching of orders needed) they could have moved without permission from AfriCom. They had to be ordered to stay in place, and ordered well enough that there was no wiggle room.

You are right, getting to the bottom of this probably won't happen any time soon. Betting most of the details are, being as both CIA and SpecOps are involved, under a 50 year seal, minimum.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf