Author Topic: Israel's 'Iron Dome' changes the face of battle  (Read 629 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Israel's 'Iron Dome' changes the face of battle
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:22 am »
JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's "Iron Dome" defense system has emerged as a game-changer in the current round of violence with Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip, shooting down dozens of incoming rockets and being credited with preventing numerous civilian casualties.

By shooting down more than 90 percent of its targets, the system is ensuring Israel's decisive technological edge that has helped it operate virtually unhindered in Gaza.

At the same time, it's also providing a much-needed sense of security on the home front.

Gaza militants have fired hundreds of rockets into Israel, some more than 100 kilometers (60 miles) deep, covering an area of about 5 million. But beyond some jitters and discomfort, they haven't hurt Israelis much, causing no casualties and very little damage.

"The Iron Dome system and its impressive success thus far have had a strategic impact on managing the campaign. It gives us wide options," said Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon. "Having said that, we cannot become complacent."

Israel has deployed seven batteries across the country that — coupled with a high-tech warning system — have given it its best defensive capabilities ever.

Iron Dome quickly recognizes the trajectory of incoming rockets and whether they are headed for major population centers. Those are shot down, while others are allowed to fall in empty fields to spare the hefty cost of firing the sophisticated interceptors. Local reports say each launching costs about $20,000.

Read more, plus video: http://news.yahoo.com/israels-iron-dome-changes-face-battle-192534747.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Israel's 'Iron Dome' changes the face of battle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:43:42 pm »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates