Author Topic: Cholera outbreaks have been reported in nine of South Sudan's states  (Read 862 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A cholera outbreak has spread to nine out of 10 states in South Sudan.

Thousands of people have been infected. If untreated, the disease can be fatal.

The outbreak also adds to a growing hunger crisis in the country. One charity warns that it is spreading rapidly, and is likely to get worse as heavy rains are predicted for the coming weeks.

Video report at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28275123

Drives me wild this, because it is so easily preventable. Lime the damned latrines and put up fly screen. Boil the water before drinking it. That is ALL it takes. Seriously, you could handle the entire country for a year for the cost of a single Worm fundraiser.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Cholera outbreaks have been reported in nine of South Sudan's states
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:46:43 am »
A cholera outbreak has spread to nine out of 10 states in South Sudan.

Thousands of people have been infected. If untreated, the disease can be fatal.

The outbreak also adds to a growing hunger crisis in the country. One charity warns that it is spreading rapidly, and is likely to get worse as heavy rains are predicted for the coming weeks.

Video report at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28275123

Drives me wild this, because it is so easily preventable. Lime the damned latrines and put up fly screen. Boil the water before drinking it. That is ALL it takes. Seriously, you could handle the entire country for a year for the cost of a single Worm fundraiser.

So why doesn't that get done?  Is it the government?  Or some kind of cultural impediment? 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 04:06:45 am »
A lot of the time they crap in chamberpots, the streets or in the fields. Not much running water for flushing toilets or effective sewage treatment, and power is pretty much none existent. Privys exist, but they are not always convenient when the urge strikes.

It gets to be a vicious cycle. You get the cramps and need to go right now - the commonest symptom of cholera - and the flies get at it then land on peoples faces, eyes and food. The infected person's hands don't help - assuming they are scrupulous and wash their hands afterwards, they won't have soap with them and they are usually washing in water someone is going to use for drinking.

Then there is the fatalism aspect. Mentioned that before. What is, is. Makes it hard to bang into heads that a bit of basic hygiene prevents what is from being is.

You could give every town and village in South Sudan a clean, deep shared well (far below the infection levels) and enough privys and lime to sweeten them for under a million dollars in materials. No one wants to do that.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 04:18:50 am »
It's hard to imagine living like that, and with such a simple solution.  Sounds like something the "Clinton Foundation" could take care of very easily, or any of the other rich liberals that are always preaching at us.    A million dollars is a drop in the bucket for them - I'd bet Beyonce spends that much money on underwear and shoes. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 04:30:55 am »
Like I say - no one cares. They are brown, far away, and the pictures are good for guilt tripping contributions.  :shrug:

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 10:32:22 am »
contaminated wells also contribute to the problem.