Author Topic: 14,000 draft notices sent to men born in 1800s  (Read 608 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
14,000 draft notices sent to men born in 1800s
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:43:23 pm »
To screw up is human. To REALLY screw up, it takes the government. Your health care is in safe and efficient hands .....

No, the United States isn’t trying to build a military force of centenarians.

It just seems that way after the Selective Service System mistakenly sent notices to more than 14,000 Pennsylvania men born between 1893 and 1897, ordering them to register for the nation’s military draft and warning that failure to do so is “punishable by a fine and imprisonment.”

The agency realized the error when it began receiving calls from bewildered relatives last week.

Chuck Huey, 73, of Kingston, said he got a notice addressed to his late grandfather Bert Huey, a World War I veteran who was born in 1894 and died in 1995 at age 100.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/men-get-draft-notices-100-years-after-the-fact/2014/07/10/dffac3c2-083d-11e4-8615-4eddc1f1cffa_story.html
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: 14,000 draft notices sent to men born in 1800s
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:44:43 pm »
It is things like this added together with many, many others that is convincing more and more people that this mess in Washington cannot be fixed.  It simply is not possible to repair something that is this badly damaged.

Ever see a runaway diesel engine??  It runs on its own oil until it is so hot it finally seizes.  That's how I see where we are right now.  At some point you toss out all of the trash and start over again.  It may be necessary to tear out the whole crankcase right down to the foundations and build something new in its place; but trying to repair anything while simultaneously trying to make it run will never work on anything.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:10 pm »
Agreed.

But - to inject a note of optimism - can you think of any country better suited to do that?

I know there are effectively two Americas right now. You got the gimme lot. And you got the ones who take a look at a cracked battery casing, roll up their sleeves and say "Pass the epoxy." Fixers, if you prefer.

I trust the fixers.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 10:07:43 pm by EC »

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:07:35 pm »
It is things like this added together with many, many others that is convincing more and more people that this mess in Washington cannot be fixed.  It simply is not possible to repair something that is this badly damaged.

Ever see a runaway diesel engine??  It runs on its own oil until it is so hot it finally seizes.  That's how I see where we are right now.  At some point you toss out all of the trash and start over again.  It may be necessary to tear out the whole crankcase right down to the foundations and build something new in its place; but trying to repair anything while simultaneously trying to make it run will never work on anything.

I agree.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:33:06 am »
Chieftan wrote above:
[[ It is things like this added together with many, many others that is convincing more and more people that this mess in Washington cannot be fixed.  It simply is not possible to repair something that is this badly damaged. ]]

Could we be nearing a time of a "Second Declaration of Independence"?

A renunciation of the DC government, to be replaced with.... the original Constitution?

How might such a Declaration be made?
And who to make it?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:26:27 am »
How might such a Declaration be made? And who to make it?

Today, no one can trust the government or any government agency. You laugh at the DOJ in terms of being honest. You cannot trust the GOP or the Dems.

This really would have to be a full insurrection. It would have to be a real Bastille Day moment. That is the only way.

I am not endorcing this, I am only answering an intellectual question. In the NAZI land we all live in today, I do not want the Feds up my ass.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Carling

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 05:51:08 am »
I'm supposed to believe that Selective Service still has records from the 1800s, yet the IRS doesn't have emails from 4 years ago?  O is spitting our faces, and he's loving it.  He's now selling out his black base for some additional Hispanic voters.
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:23:50 am »
I'm supposed to believe that Selective Service still has records from the 1800s, yet the IRS doesn't have emails from 4 years ago?

Of course they do! All they had to do is check the VA waiting lists.