Author Topic: Nazi hunters on trail of 17 SS guards - including four women - who worked at death camp where 150,000 perished  (Read 640 times)

rangerrebew

Nazi hunters on trail of 17 SS guards - including four women - who worked at death camp where 150,000 perished

Majdanek was a concentration camp on the outskirts of Lublin in eastern Poland but also provided slave labour for the Germans

It was liberated by the Soviet Red Army in July 1944
There are no survivors from the camp to testify
Prosecutors hoping to use Demjanjuk strategy whereby the fact he worked at Sobibor was enough to convict him of war crimes

By Allan Hall In Berlin

Published: 14:02 EST, 6 July 2014  | Updated: 14:02 EST, 6 July 2014 

Nazi hunters in Germany are on the trail of 17 more former S.S. guards who worked at the death camp of Majdanek in occupied Poland during the Second World War.

Four women are among the suspects said to have helped herd innocent victims into the gas chambers - or who were part of mass shooting parties - which claimed the lives of between 80,000 and 150,000 people, most of them Jews.

Majdanek was a hybrid facility which also served as a concentration camp and a source of slave labour.

+4

Located on the outskirts of Lublin in eastern Poland, it was liberated by the Red Army in July 1944 and remains the best preserved Holocaust site with intact gas chambers and crematoria.

More...
 Britain poised to strike deal with Iraq to send home 163 inmates held in our prisons despite Islamic State jail breaks
 German 'double agent' who sold secrets to US caught trying to make deal with Russians too

Germany’s Central Investigation Agency for Nazi War Crimes recently tracked down several Auschwitz camp guards in the country and handed files over to various regional prosecutors who are now mulling charges against them.

Auschwitz was first constructed to hold Polish political prisoners, who began to arrive in May 1940. The first extermination of prisoners took place in September 1941

+4
Auschwitz was first constructed to hold Polish political prisoners, who began to arrive in May 1940. The first extermination of prisoners took place in September 1941

Kurt Schrimm, the director of the agency based in Ludwigsburg, wants to level charges of complicity in mass murder against the Majdanek guards.

Files on three of the suspects have already been handed to prosecutors with Schrimm admitting: 'The evidence is somewhat problematical.'

By that he means that there remain no witnesses alive able to testify to the alleged crimes committed by the guards. But he hopes that the case of John Demjanjuk will serve as the blueprint in any forthcoming trials.

Demjanjuk was convicted of assisting in the mass murder of 28,000 Jews at the extermination camp of Sobibor, where 250,000 of the six million victims of the Holocaust were murdered.

John Demjanjuk (in the wheelchair) was convicted of war crimes without any evidence or testimony against him. Judges decided that it was enough that he had served as a guard at Sobibor concentration camp. He died on March 17, 2012

+4
John Demjanjuk (in the wheelchair) was convicted of war crimes without any evidence or testimony against him. Judges decided that it was enough that he had served as a guard at Sobibor concentration camp. He died on March 17, 2012

He was convicted in Munich in 2011 without a shred of testimony about what he did in the camp: judges ruled for the first time that it was enough for him to have have served there for him to be guilty of aiding the Nazis in their criminal enterprise.

Schrimm went on: 'Majdanek is a very complicated camp and for us because there were no demarcated areas for the killings as in other Nazi camps.'

Indeed research is continuing at the site of the camp - now a memorial and museum - to try to ascertain the correct numbers of those murdered there.

'We have little material, the information we have is not optimal,' admitted Schrimm,.

Age and infirmity could mean that some, perhaps all, of the S.S.killers from Majdanek will not be brought to trial.

Of the recent Auschwitz suspects rounded up with the help of the Nazi hunters of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre in Israel, nine have been judged incapable of standing trial, four were let go because of lack of evidence, four more have since died, one was released because he had already served time for war crimes in Poland and 14 more cases are still being considered by public prosecutors across Germany.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2682505/Nazi-hunters-trail-17-SS-guards-including-four-women-worked-death-camp-150-000-perished.html#ixzz36ipJW37X
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
+4

He was convicted in Munich in 2011 without a shred of testimony about what he did in the camp: judges ruled for the first time that it was enough for him to have have served there for him to be guilty of aiding the Nazis in their criminal enterprise.

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this precedent? No evidence, no testimony, just a couple judges on a high horse?
In all wars, civilians suffer more casualties than the military. That's ALL wars.
If this precedent is to stand, perhaps the relatives of the members of Shermans unit as he ransacked Georgia should be tried.
We should also ask ourselves why the world has never brought forward the horrors of life under Stalin, Mao, or Pol Pot.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I'm looking forward to 2025.

By then everyone who were involved in the camps will be dead. As someone who has been injured a fair number of times - you don't heal a wound by constantly picking at it, no matter how much it itches. Sounds frivolous, I know, but mental wounds heal the same as physical ones.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this precedent? No evidence, no testimony, just a couple judges on a high horse?
In all wars, civilians suffer more casualties than the military. That's ALL wars.
If this precedent is to stand, perhaps the relatives of the members of Shermans unit as he ransacked Georgia should be tried.
We should also ask ourselves why the world has never brought forward the horrors of life under Stalin, Mao, or Pol Pot.

How can you be a guard at a death camp without having aided in the deaths of innocents?

Demjanjuk was guilty, and his punishment deserved.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
How can you be a guard at a death camp without having aided in the deaths of innocents?

Sorry ML, but that's like saying the rent-a-cop at the local bank is responsible for your overdrawn account.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline musiclady

Sorry ML, but that's like saying the rent-a-cop at the local bank is responsible for your overdrawn account.

Not quite a parallel, but I get your point.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.