Author Topic: This Ivy League Prof’s Absurd Attitude Toward Christian Colleges Says A lot About Higher Ed  (Read 519 times)

rangerrebew

This Ivy League Prof’s Absurd Attitude Toward Christian Colleges Says A lot About Higher Ed

"Unlike Harvard..."
    F. Peter Brown — July 8, 2014

Professor Peter Conn wrote that Christian colleges “undermine the most fundamental purposes of higher education” and should not be accredited. Conn is a professor of English and education at the University of Pennsylvania.

Specifically, he says:

Skeptical and unfettered inquiry is the hallmark of American teaching and research. However, such inquiry cannot flourish — in many cases, cannot even survive — inside institutions that erect religious tests for truth. The contradiction is obvious.

He also attacks the Christian college Wheaton, called by some “the Harvard of evangelical education,” saying:

“Unlike Harvard, Wheaton is one of the colleges that oblige their faculty members to complete faith statements. In other words, at Wheaton the primacy of reason has been abandoned by the deliberate and repeated choices of both its administration and its faculty.”

Alan Jacobs, a professor now at Baylor who worked for 29 years at Wheaton, says that he taught at the Christian college of Wheaton because of its academic freedom. He writes:

I was there for the academic freedom. My interests were in the intersection of theology, religious practice and literature — a very rich field, but one that in most secular universities I would have been strongly discouraged from pursuing except in a corrosively skeptical way.

Are Christian colleges bad for academic freedom, as Conn writes? Or do they possess and even sometimes increase academic freedom?

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/wont-believe-professor-said-christian-colleges/#MbThx1HOT5rDApaW.99

Oceander

Sieg Heil, Herr Conn

Offline musiclady

“Unlike Harvard, Wheaton is one of the colleges that oblige their faculty members to complete faith statements. In other words, at Wheaton the primacy of reason has been abandoned by the deliberate and repeated choices of both its administration and its faculty.”

Hmmmmm................and this fellow doesn't think that secular universities have "faith" requirements for their professors?

Try being a conservative and getting in the doors of the proverbial halls of ivy.

The only 'religion' accepted by most of them is the Marxist faith they so devotedly bow in obeisance to.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.