Author Topic: Iraq confirms rebels seized Muthanna chemical arms site  (Read 425 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Iraq confirms rebels seized Muthanna chemical arms site
« on: July 09, 2014, 07:36:23 am »
But of course, WMD's didn't exist, right?

Isis-led Sunni rebels are in control of a disused chemical weapons factory, Iraqi officials have confirmed.

In a letter to the UN, Iraq said it would be unable to keep to obligations to destroy its chemical weapons.

The Muthanna complex northwest of Baghdad houses remnants of rockets filled with sarin and other deadly nerve agents.

The UN and US say the munitions are degraded and the rebels will be unable to make usable chemical arms from them.
Commitment on hold

In the letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, Iraq's UN Ambassador Mohamed Ali Alhakim said the rebels took over the complex on 11 June, after disarming soldiers who guarded the site.

The document stated that Muthanna's surveillance system showed that there was "looting of some equipment and appliances" at the factory, about 70km (45 miles) north-west of the Iraqi capital.

As a result of the takeover, the letter stated that Iraq was unable "to fulfil its obligations to destroy chemical weapons".

However, it added that the government would resume its commitments "as soon as the security situation has improved and control of the facility has been regained".

It is believed that some 2,500 rockets filled with nerve agents - including sarin and mustard gas - are stored at Muthanna.

The US said nearly three weeks ago that the militants had taken the chemical factory,

In recent weeks, Isis (Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant) insurgents have seized huge swathes of north-western Iraq.

The UN has said at least 2,417 Iraqis, including 1,531 civilians, were killed in "acts of violence and terrorism" in June.

More than a million people have fled their homes as a result of the fighting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28222879
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

Re: Iraq confirms rebels seized Muthanna chemical arms site
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:26:10 pm »
I'm glad the BBC is covering this.

You're sure not going to hear anything about it in the American media.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:51:20 pm »
I'm sure this was "staged" by the vast right wing conspiracy. :whistle:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »
What Iraqi chemical weapons?  There are no Iraqi chemical weapons.  Not today, not under Saddam.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 03:48:34 pm »
Even degraded these chemicals are deadly poisons.  If you simply blow up a truck full of them it will vaporize enough of this stuff to kill anyone downwind.

This is no idle threat and no straw man.  This is a direct result of the Obama Doctrine...