Author Topic: Vet Sues After Burial With Gay Partner Is Denied  (Read 1504 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Vet Sues After Burial With Gay Partner Is Denied
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:03:42 am »
I debated hard about posting this. On the one hand, it's reprehensible. On the other hand, it's a sin. Decided to post it because it's the same sort of sob story talking point we are seeing with the illegal children. An attempt to control the narrative.

A U.S. Navy veteran filed a civil rights lawsuit Monday after the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery refused to allow her to be buried with the ashes of her late wife. Seventy-four-year-old Madelynn Taylor filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Boise after she tried to make advance arrangements last year to have her ashes interred with Jean Mixner, whom she met on a blind date in 1995 and married in California in 2008 when gay marriage was briefly legal.

Though federal veterans cemeteries allow the spouses of gay veterans to be interred with their loved ones, Taylor said she was surprised to find the Idaho cemetery — which is owned and operated by the state — does not. Taylor's lawsuit contends that Idaho's anti-recognition laws violate the due process and equal protection guarantees of the U.S. Constitution.

Taylor's situation is "among the most extreme examples of the harm caused by state laws that deny respect to the marriages of same-sex couples," said Craig Stoll, a senior attorney with the National Center for Lesbian Rights, which is representing Taylor. Todd Dvorak, a spokesman for Idaho Attorney General Lawrence Wasden, said Wasden hasn't reviewed the lawsuit and couldn't comment on the case.

Read more: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vet-sues-after-burial-gay-partner-denied-n150251
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Vet Sues After Burial With Gay Partner Is Denied
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:08:39 am »
They won't be happy until heterosexuals are denied any and all aspects of life.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:13:46 am »

That seems counter-intuitive considering most of us (even high up officials) are heterosexual.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:16:16 am »
That seems counter-intuitive considering most of us (even high up officials) are heterosexual.

These are people so filled with hate, anger, and rage, they want to take it out on anyone not like them.

Same goes for liberals.  If they could, they would kill every conservative and Republican because it is what good leftists do to the opposition.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:36:54 am »
Or, in this case, death. (thank you, try the veal)

This woman will sue, and given the recent fad, she'll probably win.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 04:00:04 am »
How would their internment together deprive heterosexuals of anything?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 04:53:25 am »
Same goes for liberals.  If they could, they would kill every conservative and Republican because it is what good leftists do to the opposition.

I can't speak for the people running our country, but in my experience liberals have shown no sign of wanting to kill anybody really. There are lunatics on all sides of the spectrum, but for the most part liberals I've met have seemed like normal, mostly sane people.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 05:09:37 am by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:05:15 am »
Dex - I have a question for you.

The Liberals you know, are they what might be referred to as classical Liberals? Nearer Libertarian than anything else, but with a social conscience?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 05:17:07 am »
Dex - I have a question for you.

The Liberals you know, are they what might be referred to as classical Liberals? Nearer Libertarian than anything else, but with a social conscience?

I have known either online or in person multitudes of people with all varying points of view. Pretty much all of them seemed pretty sane and lacking murderous intent. I've met lots of people with some pretty out there political ideas, but pretty much all of them seemed like mostly good people that just saw the world a different way.  ^-^
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:01 am »
 :beer:

I too prefer a wide variety of friends. As long as they are good people, in my book.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »
How would their internment together deprive heterosexuals of anything?
How would their not being interred together cause either of them any harm, considering they'd already be dead?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline olde north church

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 01:44:00 pm »
I can't speak for the people running our country, but in my experience liberals have shown no sign of wanting to kill anybody really. There are lunatics on all sides of the spectrum, but for the most part liberals I've met have seemed like normal, mostly sane people.

I know who you are.  I recognize you from 2 other sites.  You can change your name but it's impossible to change your writing style and mentality.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 05:57:59 pm »
How would their not being interred together cause either of them any harm, considering they'd already be dead?

They should be buried together.

Look at the positive side of this.

The cemetery will less crowded (by a factor of two) at the rapture.

It's a win-win for everyone.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 06:00:45 pm »
I have known either online or in person multitudes of people with all varying points of view. Pretty much all of them seemed pretty sane and lacking murderous intent. I've met lots of people with some pretty out there political ideas, but pretty much all of them seemed like mostly good people that just saw the world a different way.  ^-^

It's the good people with false world views that are characterized, variously, as "useful idiots" or "good Germans."  The liberals you mention are no different.  Good faith and honesty do not make up for gullibility and irrational thinking.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 06:57:22 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Dexter

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 09:29:02 pm »
Good faith and honesty do not make up for gullibility and irrational thinking.

Gullibility and irrational thinking do not make one a bad person. Good faith and honesty are characteristics of good people, though. It seems to support my idea that most people are relatively good, and just see the world through different sets of eyes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:29:50 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 09:39:06 pm »
Your argument applies to anybody. Why bother to respect anybody's wishes, since they are dead.

Perhaps it matters to their families. Parents, siblings, who knew them together.

And it is really none of the business of others, is it?

But whoa!! This sort of thing is the business of true Christian conservatives, who know what's best, and what ought to matter for EVERYBODY.

Everybody else's business is their business. And some wonder why the ranks aren't growing?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 11:42:59 pm »
But whoa!! This sort of thing is the business of true Christian conservatives, who know what's best, and what ought to matter for EVERYBODY.

Everybody else's business is their business. And some wonder why the ranks aren't growing?
Thank goodness you dragged in the bogeyman of "true Christian conservatives" who presume to "know what's best ... for EVERYBODY," lest anyone think it had been given a rest.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 11:56:16 pm »

Guess you must totally miss the daily threats that liberals make online, or like the crazy old fart down the road from me with homemade signs that he randomly puts out that call for everything to deporting all Republicans to "killing the racists, bigots, elitists."  Another signs says "All Republicans are racists, bigots, elitist."  (Yes, the grammatically correct "S" from elitist is missing.)

The Nazis massacred their opposition, numerous times.
Lenin and Stalin did it.
Mao Zedong killed more then the above combined.
The communists around the world have been killing their opposition for the last 70 years.

Liberals seek total power, and that can only come if all opposition is silenced, and I don't mean just made to shut up.  They must be eliminated.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:57:48 pm by Atomic Cow »

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 12:05:52 am »

Clearly of which you are neither.

Thank you for a daily Democrat talking point.  You need to find some new ones already.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 12:26:12 am »
Your argument applies to anybody. Why bother to respect anybody's wishes, since they are dead.

Money quote.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:29 pm »
Guess you must totally miss the daily threats that liberals make online, or like the crazy old fart down the road from me with homemade signs that he randomly puts out that call for everything to deporting all Republicans to "killing the racists, bigots, elitists."  Another signs says "All Republicans are racists, bigots, elitist."  (Yes, the grammatically correct "S" from elitist is missing.)

Random people making idle threats on the internet and the crazy old man down the road from you are not representative of anybody but themselves. I've personally seen this behavior from people on all sides. It is part of what happens when people become consumed by fear and hate.

The Nazis massacred their opposition, numerous times.
Lenin and Stalin did it.
Mao Zedong killed more then the above combined.
The communists around the world have been killing their opposition for the last 70 years.

A lot of liberals do not see the connection between the policies they support and totalitarian communism/facism. That doesn't make them bad people. It's one thing to recognize how urgent it is to make people aware of their own ignorance, but it is another entirely to label them all as bad people because of their ignorance.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:04:54 pm by Dex4974 »
-Socrates

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:55 pm »

If all they really want is to be buried together, I'm sure there are plenty of cemeteries that will allow it and they won't care since they will both be dead.

Seems to be more about making sure nobody is allowed to disagree with their worldview than anything else...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 02:27:12 pm »
If all they really want is to be buried together, I'm sure there are plenty of cemeteries that will allow it and they won't care since they will both be dead.

Seems to be more about making sure nobody is allowed to disagree with their worldview than anything else...

I keep waiting and waiting for the backlashes to occur.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.