Author Topic: Federal Judge Says Supreme Court Should Just 'STFU'  (Read 521 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Federal Judge Says Supreme Court Should Just 'STFU'
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:50:48 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/07/supreme-court-stfu_n_5563997.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

Federal Judge Says Supreme Court Should Just 'STFU'
The Huffington Post  | By Mollie Reilly

Posted: 07/07/2014 12:08 pm EDT Updated: 47 minutes ago

A federal judge thinks it's time for the Supreme Court to just "stfu."

Writing on his personal blog in response to the high court's recent 5-4 decision in Burwell v. Hobby Lobby, U.S. District Judge Richard George Kopf harshly criticized the justices for taking what he sees as a too active role in controversial cases.

"This term and several past terms has proven that the Court is now causing more harm (division) to our democracy than good by deciding hot button cases that the Court has the power to avoid," Kopf, a George W. Bush appointee, wrote. "As the kids says, it is time for the Court to stfu."

For clarity, Kopf included a link to the Urban Dictionary definition for "stfu": "Acronym used for the phrase 'shut the bleep up' for efficiency reasons."

Pointing out that all five justices who decided in favor of Hobby Lobby are Catholic males appointed by Republican presidents, Kopf argued that the decision "looks stupid and smells worse."

"While 'looks' don’t matter to the logic of the law (and I am not saying the Justices are actually motivated by such things), all of us know from experience that appearances matter to the public’s acceptance of the law," he wrote.

As Raw Story notes, Kopf has a history of blunt commentary.

Last fall, following the shutdown of the federal government at the hands of congressional lawmakers, the judge said it was "time to tell Congress to go to hell." And earlier this year, Kopf expressed regrets after writing that female lawyers should "tone it down" and dress more conservatively in court.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Federal Judge Says Supreme Court Should Just 'STFU'
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »

"This term and several past terms has proven that the Court is now causing more harm (division) to our democracy than good by deciding hot button cases that the Court has the power to avoid," Kopf, a George W. Bush appointee, wrote. "As the kids says, it is time for the Court to stfu."

Hmmm, a Federal Judge who comments as though he doesn't know that we are supposed to be a constitutional republic and not a 'democracy'...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:06:16 pm »
Kopf, a George W. Bush appointee
From the man who brought you King John Roberts and only nominated Alito after his first choice, Harriet Miers, was rightfully cut off before she was even nominated.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 06:39:01 pm »
That kind of insubordination would get you fired in the real world.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:52:51 pm »
   19  National News/Current Events / Re: SCOTUS Hobby Lobby Case...[update Hobby Lobby wins landmark case]« on: June 30, 2014, 09:49:13 AM »  Looks like another slap-down to der fuehrer "I can do any damned thing I want" and his crew.

This may push him into coming up with some way of quashing or simply ignoring the judicial branch. He already has Congress cowering before him, now he only has to figure out how to get around the courts and how to end elections.

Then he will become everything he thinks he deserves to be, i.e., God himself.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
This is wholly inappropriate behaviour for a judge.

First, this judge's conduct has arguably violated Canon 4 of the Code of Conduct for United States Judges:

CANON 4: A JUDGE MAY ENGAGE IN EXTRAJUDICIAL ACTIVITIES THAT ARE CONSISTENT WITH THE OBLIGATIONS OF JUDICIAL OFFICE

A judge may engage in extrajudicial activities, including law-related pursuits and civic, charitable, educational, religious, social, financial, fiduciary, and governmental activities, and may speak, write, lecture, and teach on both law-related and nonlegal subjects.  However, a judge should not participate in extrajudicial activities that detract from the dignity of the judge’s office, interfere with the performance of the judge’s official duties, reflect adversely on the judge’s impartiality, lead to frequent disqualification, or violate the limitations set forth below.[ed.: limitations not relevant]
/quote]

The judge's personal blog is a law-related extrajudicial activity.  His comments demonstrate a strong bias in his views and therefore reflect adversely on his impartiality (because his comments call his impartiality into question).

The code of conduct for federal judges is here:  http://www.uscourts.gov/RulesAndPolicies/CodesOfConduct/CodeConductUnitedStatesJudges.aspx

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:50:28 pm »
This is wholly inappropriate behaviour for a judge.

First, this judge's conduct has arguably violated Canon 4 of the Code of Conduct for United States Judges:

CANON 4: A JUDGE MAY ENGAGE IN EXTRAJUDICIAL ACTIVITIES THAT ARE CONSISTENT WITH THE OBLIGATIONS OF JUDICIAL OFFICE

A judge may engage in extrajudicial activities, including law-related pursuits and civic, charitable, educational, religious, social, financial, fiduciary, and governmental activities, and may speak, write, lecture, and teach on both law-related and nonlegal subjects.  However, a judge should not participate in extrajudicial activities that detract from the dignity of the judge’s office, interfere with the performance of the judge’s official duties, reflect adversely on the judge’s impartiality, lead to frequent disqualification, or violate the limitations set forth below.[ed.: limitations not relevant]
/quote]

The judge's personal blog is a law-related extrajudicial activity.  His comments demonstrate a strong bias in his views and therefore reflect adversely on his impartiality (because his comments call his impartiality into question).

The code of conduct for federal judges is here:  http://www.uscourts.gov/RulesAndPolicies/CodesOfConduct/CodeConductUnitedStatesJudges.aspx

I don't think there is any doubt about it and he should be impeached immediately!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 07:50:55 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:07:52 pm »
I don't think there is any doubt about it and he should be impeached immediately!

Disciplinary proceedings should be brought first.  Much easier than impeachment and usually just as effective.