Author Topic: Texas Democrat: What would be the point of an Obama border visit?  (Read 362 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/211435-texas-dem-what-would-be-point-of-obama-border-visit

July 07, 2014, 11:43 am
Texas Democrat: What would be the point of an Obama border visit?

By Mario Trujillo

Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) said Monday she does not want to see President Obama visit the border during his trip to Texas later this week.

Johnson, who represents a district that encompasses much of Dallas, said information is readily available to him about the huge influx of child immigrants captured crossing the border illegally this year.

“No I would not," she said on MSNBC when asked if she would like to see him visit the border.

"I think that he has people in place to take care of that situation. There have been leaders from all over the Congress to visit the border. The Homeland Security has been there. What would be the point in the president going?"

President Obama is traveling to Dallas on Wednesday to participate at a Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee fundraiser. On Thursday, he will speak at a Democratic National Committee fundraiser and give remarks about the economy in Austin.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) has repeatedly invited Obama to tour the border, and said a failure to do so would signal a lack of concern on the president's part. At least two Democrats have also extended an invitation.

The White House has said there are no plans to visit the border, and one is not included on his public schedule. The White House has noted a number of administration officials have traveled to the area.

Johnson said it is fine if Obama wants to visit the border, but evidence of the crisis can be seen in the interior of Texas as well, where some of the more than 52,000 unaccompanied children apprehended this year are being housed.

"If he chooses to go, I think it is fine, but I don't think he needs to go to get information," she said. "Information is readily available."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Texas Democrat: What would be the point of an Obama border visit?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:31:47 pm »
showing leadership.  oh, wait, Obuttocks doesn't "do" leadership, it's above his pay-grade.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Texas Democrat: What would be the point of an Obama border visit?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:46:17 am »
What would be the point of an Obama border visit?

Agreed!   I would much rather he drive by Dealey Plaza.....with the convertible top down.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald