Author Topic: The fearsome Iraqi militia vowing to vanquish Isis  (Read 501 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The fearsome Iraqi militia vowing to vanquish Isis
« on: July 07, 2014, 05:12:38 pm »
The commander Haji Jawad al-Talabwi fixed me with an unblinking stare and warned me that he was a hard man.

He told me I'd better not reveal the secrets of Asaib Ahl al-Haqq - Iraq's most powerful Shia Muslim fighting group - to foreign intelligence.

We'd just heard him laying down the law on the phone, issuing a warning to whoever was on the other end that suicide vests had been smuggled in. If the Sunnis helped Isis militants they would be killed, one by one if necessary.

Haji Jawad was about 5'8" (1.72m) in his boots and combat fatigues, and somewhere in middle age. He looked like the kind of man whose threats should be taken seriously.

We were in a building they had commandeered in Djail, a small and dusty town about 40 miles (65km) north of Baghdad.

Haji Jawad is a senior military figure in Asaib Ahl al-Haqq, or League of the Righteous. He seemed to glorify in his organisation's fearsome reputation. Isis, he said, knew the kind of men they were facing around Djail.

"We believe there's a divine promise that we'll win. Our enemies are filled with fear before they even see us. We've had phone calls from most of the villages held by militants, offering to surrender in exchange for their safety," he told me.

"This shows how terrified the militants are of us - it's because of our expertise in urban and guerrilla warfare, and the experience we gained from fighting against the Americans and the British."

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28199741

So it's eternal war. Because these bleep do not know the meaning of the word quit. It's admirable when it's not aimed at you.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: The fearsome Iraqi militia vowing to vanquish Isis
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 05:27:27 pm »
ya know....while the US was busy fighting our civil war, The Mahdi arose in The Soudan, and waged his Jihad all the way down into the depths of Africa, slaughtering millions of natives along the way whom they did not even bother to try and convert to Islam.

What is happening across the former Ottoman Empire's Levant is classic Arab tribal warfare only with better weapons.  There are no good guys left in Iraq because all sides consist of their own special brand of Islamic extremist.  The Kurds are trying to break away to form their own republic, along with all the oil in Norther Iraq, but Turkey is not going to stand for that and will launch another branch of civil war quickly.

There is an old tale about the djinn bottle...the lesson being that once you uncork the djinn, he is impossible to get back into the bottle.  Obama uncorked the Middle East when he was emaculated and withdrew the US from its traditional leadership role, enabling and directly encouraging the so-called "Arab Spring". 

At some point all you can do is pull back and let the fire burn itself out, while trying to minimize the collateral damage.

:smokin:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:28:12 pm by Chieftain »