Author Topic: A standing-only section on planes could mean lower fares, study says  (Read 956 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-a-standingonly-section-on-planes-could-mean-lower-fares-study-says-20140706,0,4514106.story

Hugo Martin Los Angeles Times

11:00 a.m. CDT, July 6, 2014

Would you buy a bargain-priced airline ticket, but the catch was you had to stand for the entire flight?

A new university study says the idea of standing-only sections on planes is no joke.

An airline that removes seats can fit about 20% more passengers and, as a result, offer discounts of as much as 44% compared with airlines that offer big comfy seats, according to the study published in the International Journal of Engineering and Technology.

Airlines in Ireland and China have looked into the concept, but none have yet put the idea into practice.

Major carriers in the U.S. and the Federal Aviation Administration say the idea has to overcome some serious hurdles before it can take off. FAA officials say they haven’t seen the study but note that under current standards, passengers are required to fasten seat belts during takeoffs, landings and when instructed by the pilot.

“You can’t have a seat belt without a seat,” FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said.

To meet the seat belt requirement, the study suggests passengers lean against a padded backboard, with straps that stretch over their shoulders.

The study’s author, Fairuz I. Romli, an aerospace engineering professor and lecturer at the Universiti Putra Malaysia, said passengers would probably only be comfortable standing on flights shorter than three hours.

Gregor said all seats on commercial planes must be tested by the FAA to withstand specific pressures.

The idea won’t fly because air travelers won’t stand for it, said Jean Medina, spokeswoman for Airlines for America, the trade group for the nation’s airlines.

“Airline customers ultimately determine what works in the market, voting with their wallet every day,” she said, “and comfort is high among drivers of their choice.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline aligncare

Re: A standing-only section on planes could mean lower fares, study says
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:08:26 pm »
The idea won’t fly because air travelers won’t stand for it, said Jean Medina, spokeswoman for Airlines for America, the trade group for the nation’s airlines.

"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, you've been a wonderful audience. I'll be here all week. Try the veal. And don't forget to tip your servers”

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 03:38:04 am »
"Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, you've been a wonderful audience. I'll be here all week. Try the veal. And don't forget to tip your servers”

:silly:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:58:51 pm »
To think our brightest are coming up with this.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:42:04 pm »
“Airline customers ultimately determine what works in the market, voting with their wallet every day,” she said, “and comfort is high among drivers of their choice.”
Yet the concept isn't even an option anywhere. How can they choose something that isn't on the market in the first place?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 10:27:52 am »
What dumbass came up with this idea?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:17:17 pm »