Author Topic: Dem: Obama 'one step behind' on crisis  (Read 357 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dem: Obama 'one step behind' on crisis
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:37:12 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/211384-texas-dem-obama-one-step-behind-on-border-crisis

July 06, 2014, 10:06 am
Dem: Obama 'one step behind' on crisis

By Mike Lillis

The Obama administration has botched its response to the wave of migrants flooding the southern border, a Texas Democrat charged Sunday.

Rep. Henry Cuellar (Texas), a Blue Dog Democrat who represents a border district, said the administration simply failed to anticipate a predictable crisis and remains "one step behind" in addressing it.

"We should have been ready for this surge, the administration should have been ready," Cuellar said on CNN's "State of the Union" program. "With all respect to the administration, they're one step behind. They should have seen this coming a long time ago … because we saw those numbers increasing."

In the month of May, law enforcers apprehended roughly 48,000 migrants along the Texas border alone, 9,700 of them children unaccompanied by an adult, Cuellar said. The wave has overwhelmed the law enforcers, courts, detention centers and healthcare agencies attempting to manage it.

Republicans have blamed Obama for the spike in numbers, arguing that his Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which provides temporary legal protection to some undocumented immigrants brought to the country as kids, has encouraged the influx.

Cuellar disagreed, placing the blame largely on the shoulders of Central American drug lords, who are reportedly charging families thousands of dollars to bus their kids to the border under the false premise that they'll be eligible for the DACA program.

But Cuellar also acknowledged that current system does give parents an incentive to bring their kids to the border.

"There is an incentive that if you bring your child over here, or you're a child by yourself, you're going to be let go. And that's exactly what's happening," Cuellar said. "Our immigration courts are so back-logged. There's not enough detention spaces. … This is the incentive we have to take away."

Responding to the crisis, Obama has asked Congress to provide $2 billion in emergency funding and vowed to shift more personnel to the border.

The president will travel to Texas next week, but does not have plans to visit the border – a decision the White House defended on Thursday.

“The reason that some people are suggesting the president should go to border when he’s in Texas is because they’d rather play politics than actually trying to address some of these challenges,” said spokesman Josh Earnest.

Cuellar on Sunday encouraged Obama to reconsider.

"It would be nice of him to come down to the border, but with all due respect I think he's still one step behind," Cuellar said. "They knew this was happening a year ago, … and they're not reacting fast enough at this time."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Dem: Obama 'one step behind' on crisis
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:50:38 pm »
What do they expect? It's the Worm.

He leads from behind.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:43:13 pm »
So you have a squad commander who is going to take me into battle, and yet he is going to stay behind me?

I don't think so, M*******.

We go into this thing together, or I will drop your ass right now on the spot.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:12:14 pm »
Another way of saying he is always a day late and a dollar short....

:smokin: