Author Topic: Obama Called N-Word In US Newspaper Headline  (Read 481 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Obama Called N-Word In US Newspaper Headline
« on: July 06, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »
A New York City newspaper publisher has expressed regret for his decision to run a headline using the word n***** to refer to President Barack Obama.

The opinion piece in the latest edition of the Westview News, for residents in the upmarket West Village area, had the leader, "The N***** In The White House".

Despite its provocative headline, the page-15 column by James Lincoln Collier is actually intended as a pro-Obama piece arguing that hardline conservative opposition to the president is motivated by racism.

Mr Collier writes: "These far right voters hate Obama because he is black. The simple truth is that there is still in America an irreducible measure of racism."

The op-ed appears in the July 1 issue of the monthly paper, which has a circulation of 12,000.

Its publisher, George Capsis, told Sky News that he aimed for balance by commissioning an African-American columnist, Alvin Hall, to pen a "rebuttal" piece, which featured immediately below the Collier column.

Mr Capsis, 86, said: "Alvin had an immediate, convulsive reaction to the headline, which goes right to his spinal column. He reacts with fury, electrically, and immediately dashes off a piece."

Read more - you won't bother: http://news.sky.com/story/1296189/obama-called-n-word-in-us-newspaper-headline
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Obama Called N-Word In US Newspaper Headline
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 07:17:16 pm »
Saying conservatives dislike Obama because he is black does not make it true. Sure, I'm sure there are racists out there that dislike Obama because he is black, but this bullshit where you can't be against the president without it being because he is black is absurd. Same thing with being sexist for not liking Hillary. This is nothing but propaganda to reinforce among the left the idea that the right is nothing but a bunch of intolerant racists. Just more fuel to perpetuate the schism.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:24:01 pm »
Obama called the N-word in headline
By Kevin Fasick and Laura Italiano
July 6, 2014 | 2:27am

The WHAT in the White House?

Well-heeled West Villagers will be in for a rude surprise when they open the latest copy of their local newspaper and see the headline, “The N—-r in the White House” — except without the dashes.

The shocking headline in the WestView News is a reference to President Obama and sits at the top of Page 15 above an opinion piece that criticizes what it calls the anti-black “racism” of far-right voters.

The convoluted screed by author and journalist James Lincoln Collier is actually a pro-Obama piece — but that didn’t stop West Villagers from decrying the printing of the slur.

“It’s disrespectful in any context to refer to the president of the United States as the N-word,” said one West Villager, Eugene May.

“If you were quoting something or referring to the historic context of the word being used, I can understand the justification,” said May, 31.

Any ironic intent in calling Obama by the word was no consolation, he said.

“It seems he’s just using it for shock value,” May added.

Fellow West Villager Joe Megie, a self-described “black Republican,” also blasted the headline.

“My first take is, it’s sad,” said Megie, 38, the CFO of Gay Men’s Health Crisis.

What, neighbors wondered, was the neighborhood monthly’s 86-year-old editor/publisher, George Capsis, thinking?

‘In this article, however, Jim [the author] reminded me that The New York Times avoids using the word which convinced me that WestView should.’

- George Capsis, WestView News Publisher

“The editorial staff continues to object” to the use of the word, Capsis writes in a head-scratcher of an explanation.

“In this article, however, Jim reminded me that The New York Times avoids using the word which convinced me that WestView should,” he added.

Collier “wanted to use the word” to “shock us into accepting that there are people who believe and use this outrageous word,” Capsis went on.

In the piece, Collier, an author of novels for young adults, complains that “far-right voters hate Obama because he is black.”

“The simple truth is that there is still in America an irreducible measure of racism,” the piece reads, going on to condemn how “America’s increasing tolerance of far-right opinion has made racism more acceptable.”

Capsis, who did not respond to e-mail and voice-mail requests for comment on Saturday, must have been expecting backlash from the toxic header.

Below the piece ran another op-ed, written by an African-American columnist and titled, “The Headline Offends Me.”

“The decision to use the headline feels misguided to me,” Alvin Hall writes. “I don’t see how its use benefits anyone, but I do feel all too clearly how it deeply offends me.”

Capsis is no stranger to controversy. Last year, he slapped state Sen. Brad Hoylman in the face at a rally for mayoral candidate Christine Quinn, whom he blamed for causing the closure of St. Vincent’s Hospital.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/06/obama-called-the-n-word-in-west-village-newspapers-headline/
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 07:29:02 pm »
Exactly - and thank you!

You know the expression "the poor will always be with us?" It can be expanded to "dipshits will always be with us."

Seriously, who gives a crap about a persons color any more? This ain't the 30s - and even back then, most people didn't care.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 07:38:20 pm »
Exactly - and thank you!

The truly challenging part for many readers here would be accepting the fact that this goes both ways. Both sides attempt to slander, vilify and dehumanize their opposition unfairly. It's intentional; they are creating a divide that prevents people from working together, and keeps people believing the ridiculous notion that attempting to work together is just a waste of time anyway. People on the left may seem stupid and ignorant, but they are not evil or even bad people. Many of you probably know/are friends with people from the left. People from your family are probably from the left. We're all just people that love our kids and want to try to live a good life. Ignorance is not evil. We have to stop being prisoners to the psychological warfare that is being used to create hatred, but we're running out of time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 01:30:43 am by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 08:00:55 pm »
It always does go both ways. People are people, and prefer to use neat little pigeon holes than consider each person on their merits.

To go Godwin for a second:

Hitler (or one of his cohort) reportedly said that the problem with the final solution was not that the German people were against it as such, but they were against it for the Jews they knew personally.

I don't find that a problem. It should be extended though - assume everyone is decent until you have proof otherwise. It's the cornerstone of the law, it should be equally important in life.