Author Topic: July 4 Parade Features 'Obama Presidential Library' Outhouse Float  (Read 340 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Sorry, this just made me giggle.

An Independence Day parade in Norfolk, Nebraska included a float depicting President Obama's presidential library as an outhouse, sparking outcry from residents as well as the state's Democratic Party.

The float, which did not identify its sponsor, featured an overall-clad dummy standing in front of an outhouse. Nailed to the structure were wooden signs reading "Obama Presidential Library":

According to the Omaha World Herald and the Lincoln Journal Star, many Norfolk residents were upset by the float, with some decrying the display as a racist attack on the president.

“I’m angry and I’m scared,” Glory Kathurima, a Norfolk resident who is originally from Kenya, told the Journal Star. “This float was not just political; this was absolutely a racial statement.”

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/06/obama-outhouse-float_n_5561568.html

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

Re: July 4 Parade Features 'Obama Presidential Library' Outhouse Float
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 06:40:18 pm »
What's racist about it? As I recall, the same things were said about Clinton's presidential library.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: July 4 Parade Features 'Obama Presidential Library' Outhouse Float
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:16:07 pm »
I got no idea - thought it were a clever float idea. Clinton got the same, GWB got the same, Carter got the same. I think even Reagan got the same. All as cartoons, mind, not floats, but it were pretty evenly balanced to both sides.

I am going to be mildly charitable to the woman complaining. She's Kenyan. The last days before Kenyan independance were hard fought, and there was a very bad taste joke going around at the time (I only know it because it was prevalent in the UK about a decade later):

"What is transparent and lays in the gutter? A kaffir with the crap kicked out of him."

Horrible joke, but it might explain her response.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink