Author Topic: NYT: Obama’s Plan to Fight Terror Groups Falling Apart  (Read 534 times)

rangerrebew

NYT: Obama’s Plan to Fight Terror Groups Falling Apart
« on: July 05, 2014, 12:08:26 pm »

NYT: Obama’s Plan to Fight Terror Groups Falling Apart

5 July 2014 / 0 Comments

Problems with President Barack Obama’s plan to fight terrorism have been exposed by the Islamic insurgents in Iraq, The New York Times reported.

Obama outlined his blueprint for the war on terrorists while speaking in May to West Point graduates, declaring that instead of using American forces to contain violent extremists, the United States would train local troops to fight the threats.

The idea is to prevent expensive wars such as Iraq and Afghanistan that have resulted in a war-weary public reluctant to support further aggression.

But his hopes have quickly unraveled as extremist fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have captured vast regions of those countries in its attempt to create a caliphate in the war-torn zone, the Times said.

The weaknesses in Obama’s plan were highlighted by the quick collapse of the American-trained Iraqi security forces, which have surrendered their weapons and millions of dollars of U.S. military arms while fleeing from the Sunni jihadists.

ISIS has turned from a ragtag bunch of terrorists into a powerful army and administration officials admit it could take months or even years for Iraqis security forces to repel them, the Times said.

The United States will have to be patient while arming and training a “constantly shifting cast of surrogates” to confront the threats it once faced mainly by itself, the newspaper added.

Read More:   http://www.newsmax.com/

Read more at http://minutemennews.com/2014/07/nyt-obamas-plan-fight-terror-groups-falling-apart/#Vcer2U7r1dxJ9rJG.99

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: NYT: Obama’s Plan to Fight Terror Groups Falling Apart
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 12:14:19 pm »

"Did I do that?" 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 04:30:30 pm »
He had a plan? News to me.

The reported plan stinks on ice. It's fine if you want to have a century long war and millions of displaced people, not much good for anything else.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 06:11:06 pm »
"NYT: Obama’s Plan to Fight Terror Groups Falling Apart "

I saw the title and at first I thought it meant Domestic Terror Groups - I wasn't aware that Obama was trying to fight terror groups - training and arming them is a funny way to do it!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 06:24:01 pm »
It appears that American clandestine security and analysis have been lousy over the years.

--Failed to see economic collapse of USSR

--Failed with Iraq 1992, insofar as Saddam thought he had an okay

--Failed to identify and prevent 9/11/2001

--Failed to preserve evidence of WMD Iraq 2003

--Failed to adequately advise high level authorities about futility of spending money "training" local forces

--ad infinitum
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:11:39 pm »
Without going into specifics - reports and threat assessments are only useful if they are read. Or in the Worm's case, listened to, I am not convinced the famed Constitutional scholar can read.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink