Author Topic: Serbian Orthodox Church Sends Letter of Protest to Vatican over Plan to Canonize Nazi Collaborator  (Read 1050 times)

Offline mountaineer

Serbian Orthodox Church Sends Letter of Protest to Vatican
 By Melinda Johnson in Orthodox News    
Jul 03, 2014 ⋅
Orthodox Christian Network

The leader of the Serbian Orthodox Church has sent a letter to the Vatican which may contain a protest against the Vatican’s plan to canonize Alojzije Stepinac. Stepinac, a Croatian Catholic cardinal, was convicted after World War II of collaborating with the fascist Independent State of Croatia.

BELGRADE — A letter explaining the position of the Serbian Orthodox Church (SPC) regarding the canonization of Alojzije Stepinac was recently handed to a Vatican official.

The daily Politika writes that the letter was given to Secretary of the Holy See for Relations with States Dominique Mamberti, who has been on a visit to Serbia.

The content of the message, however, remains unknown, but the newspaper noted that the SPC “undoubtedly does not view favorably announcements that Stepinac could become a saint.”

Mamberti will also take with him to the Vatican another letter dedicated to the same subject, sent by the Serbian president.

In an interview for Politika published in Sunday, SPC Patriarch Irinej said the announcements from the Vatican that Stepinac could be canonized by the end of the year came as “a great surprise” for the Serbian Orthodox dignitaries – “because in order for someone to be a saint, they must be a truly shining and holy personality and be accepted as such by other Christians.”
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

More
...   Stepinac was a WW2-era Croatian Catholic cardinal, convicted after the war for collaboration with the fascist Independent State of Croatia (NDH) entity. The NDH operated death camps during the war that were the sites of mass murder of Serbs, Jews, and Romas.
B92 Net
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
“because in order for someone to be a saint, they must be a truly shining and holy personality and be accepted as such by other Christians.”

Not totally true. There are plenty of saints who were, in the vernacular, complete twats. Padre Pio was a man with a wicked temper and a worse disposition, yet he has produced the require number of miracles to be considered for elevation. Mother Teresa was totally ruthless in her works and, reportedly, a bit of a con artist when it came to shaking money out of donors. Heck, my own patron Saint is the embodiment of death itself. Not all that savory, but catch me NOT praying for his intercession every morning!

God knows his own and, as the favored saying goes, works in mysterious ways.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Something tells me God doesn't support shaking people down for their money with the false hope that it will help them get into Heaven. I'd like to think that when judgment day comes the amount of spare cash you had to give to the church will be a non-factor, and that the important things would be who you are and what you did in life. I don't think a human invention (currency) is of much importance to God.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:18:35 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline olde north church

Something tells me God doesn't support shaking people down for their money with the false hope that it will help them get into Heaven. I'd like to think that when judgment day comes the amount of spare cash you had to give to the church will be a non-factor, and that the important things would be who you are and what you did in life. I don't think a human invention (currency) is of much importance to God.

--UNSHUN--

Yeah, like AIDS charities.  Women's charities.  Black charities.

--SHUN--
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.