Author Topic: Georgia GOP candidate Jody Hice: Muslims not protected by the First Amendment  (Read 906 times)

rangerrebew

Georgia GOP candidate Jody Hice: Muslims not protected by the First Amendment

by Euro-Islam • July 3, 2014 • Discrimination and Xenophobia, Elections and Political Discourse, Issues in Politics, Public Opinion and Islam in the Media, United States   

June 23, 2014

A Republican candidate seeking to represent Georgia’s 10th U.S. House district believes that the First Amendment’s guarantee of religious liberty does not apply to followers of Islam.

“Although Islam has a religious component, it is much more than a simple religious ideology,” Rev. Jody Hice wrote in his 2012 book It’s Now Or Never, according to Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “It is a complete geo-political structure and, as such, does not deserve First Amendment protection.”

The House candidate also believes the Muslim Brotherhood is secretly infiltrating the United States in a plot to impose Sharia law on the entire country, a conspiracy theory he shares with Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) and Louie Gohmert (R-TX).

“Most people think Islam is a religion, it’s not. It’s a totalitarian way of life with a religious component. But it’s much larger. It’s a geo-political system that has governmental, financial, military, legal and religious components. And it’s a totalitarian system that encompasses every aspect of life and it should not be protected (under U.S. law),” he told members of the Coweta County Tea Party Patriots in 2011, according to The Citizen.

“This is not a tolerant, peaceful religion even though some Muslims are peaceful. Radical Muslims believe that Sharia is required by God and must be imposed worldwide. It’s a movement to take over the world by force. A global caliphate is the objective,” he added.

Social Share Toolbar

http://www.euro-islam.info/2014/07/03/georgia-gop-candidate-jody-hice-muslims-protected-first-amendment/
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:12:04 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
He's wrong and should be ashamed of himself down to his toenails.

Let me see:

"the first amendment doesn't apply to Muslims."
"the first amendment doesn't apply to Catholics."
"the first amendment doesn't apply to Jews."
"the first amendment doesn't apply to bleep."
"the first amendment doesn't apply to women."

Are any of those statements different? Every one of them has been justified at one time or another. Yes, one word is in there for shock value.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Typical of the wacko wing of conservatism, who taint everything on the center-right side.

He's a Southern Baptist, a faith which once supported slavery in America.

McCain was right. Unfortunately the Tea Party movement has utterly failed to police its own, to the overall detriment of conservatism.

I would tell the good Rev. Jody Hice to take  his bigotry elsewhere.

But of course he's a product of the reversal of political poles, from when it was the democrats in the South that were racist slavery supporters, and the Republicans rightfully were abolitionists.

Lyndon Johnson foretold the future wisely, when he helped reverse the poles.

Too bad the initially smart Tea Party movement got itself coopted by the likes of this.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The First Amendment applies to everyone, PERIOD!  The only restriction in the First Amendment is to Congress itself.

I would much rather they have freedom of speech, belief, and expression and they use it on a daily basis so we have no doubt exactly what they believe instead of keeping it under cover.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:13:35 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline collins

I think this nut is right in the fact that Islam is much more than a religion but there is a freedom of religion, too. And if free speech extends to the CPUSA, why not to these kooks? Both groups are subversive.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Typical of the wacko wing of conservatism, who taint everything on the center-right side.

He's a Southern Baptist, a faith which once supported slavery in America.

McCain was right. Unfortunately the Tea Party movement has utterly failed to police its own, to the overall detriment of conservatism.

I would tell the good Rev. Jody Hice to take  his bigotry elsewhere.

But of course he's a product of the reversal of political poles, from when it was the democrats in the South that were racist slavery supporters, and the Republicans rightfully were abolitionists.

Lyndon Johnson foretold the future wisely, when he helped reverse the poles.

Too bad the initially smart Tea Party movement got itself coopted by the likes of this.

Thank you for the daily dose of Democrat/MSM talking points.

How many different groups can you slander in one post?  Going to try for a record next time?
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I have to say that I agree with Mr. Hice -- in direct contrast to nearly every poster above.

islam (I refuse to use capitals out of utter disgust and disrespect) -is- "more than" just a religion, and has been since its inception.

Mr. Hice is correct in all his observations -- islam is a system of control over the individual, cloaked in the burqua of "religion".

Anyone of The West who cannot see this is blind or is being ingenuous. Or is a collaborator.

In a previous post elsewhere in this forum, I stated my belief that islamics do not deserve the protections of our First Amendment.

Of course, as it's currently written, they do enjoy them, as does everyone else (regardless of what EC seems to think above).

If you think we can hand muslims the same freedoms and protections as Judeo-Christians (and Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, etc) enjoy in America, you are providing them with the arms and ammunition that they will eventually use to gain and seize power, and then eradicate those very freedoms.

And they will do just that.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 01:05:09 am by Fishrrman »

Offline katzenjammer

I have to say that I agree with Mr. Hice -- in direct contrast to nearly every poster above.

islam (I refuse to use capitals out of utter disgust and disrespect) -is- "more than" just a religion, and has been since its inception.

Mr. Hice is correct in all his observations -- islam is a system of control over the individual, cloaked in the burqua of "religion".

Anyone of The West who cannot see this is blind or is being ingenuous. Or is a collaborator.

In a previous post elsewhere in this forum, I stated my belief that islamics do not deserve the protections of our First Amendment.

Of course, as it's currently written, they do enjoy them, as does everyone else (regardless of what EC seems to think above).

If you think we can hand muslims the same freedoms and protections as Judeo-Christians (and Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, etc) enjoy in America, you are providing them with the arms and ammunition that they will eventually use to gain and seize power, and then eradicate those very freedoms.

And they will do just that.
I'm with you, Fishrrman.  There aren't many of us, but we aren't alone.

Offline sinkspur

Thank you for the daily dose of Democrat/MSM talking points.

How many different groups can you slander in one post?  Going to try for a record next time?

Do you agree with this idiot Hice?  He's a bigot and further cements the idea that the GOP hates Muslims.

Apparently, GBR is filled with bigots who have no idea what the First Amendment really means.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[

It says people. Not favored people. Not people who believe as I do or look like I do. Just people. It's by far the clearest of the Amendments.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
While I agree that Islam has some fundamental problems that put it in direct conflict with western civilization, I do not agree that Muslims are not or should not be protected by the first amendment.  How can someone who aspires to congress, where he would be sworn to defend and protect the Constitution, be so fundamentally wrong as to its purpose and meaning? 

I am deeply saddened when our candidates say stupid stuff like this.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Hice is a Baptist preacher. He ran for Congress in 2010 and lost in a primary runoff.

For the record, his opponent is Mike Collins, a businessman who runs a trucking company.

Of course, this is also the former district of Paul Broun (of "lies from the pit of Hell" fame), so given the electorate, this kind of commentary may actually HELP his chances at getting elected.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024