Author Topic: IRS Lawyers Ready for Busy Week Ahead Stephen F. Hayes  (Read 463 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
IRS Lawyers Ready for Busy Week Ahead Stephen F. Hayes
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:32 pm »
http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/irs-lawyers-ready-busy-week-ahead_796051.html

IRS Lawyers Ready for Busy Week Ahead
Stephen F. Hayes
July 3, 2014 2:04 PM

IRS lawyers ought to enjoy themselves this holiday weekend because, as the Washington Examiner's Mark Tapscott reports, "they'll be busier than normal next week." IRS counsel will make two separate appearances next week in court to explain and defend the agency's handling of Lois Lerner's now-missing emails.

The Obama administration has managed to keep the IRS story just below full-blown-scandal level for months now. The Washington-based establishment media, long friendly to Barack Obama and his White House, have been willing to accept at face value the increasingly implausible nothing-to-see-here claims of top IRS and Obama administration officials. Many reporters are eager to believe Democrats' claims that the scandal is yet another example of right wing hysteria. When Republicans make wild public accusations without evidence to support them, as we've seen in abundance in recent weeks, they make it easier for lazy reporters to move the IRS story from their "potential scandal" box to their "Washington dysfunction" pile.     

The possible shift from Congress to the courts may complicate that framework.

On July 10, IRS lawyers will appear in federal district court to explain why they never reported the emails missing in the context of a lawsuit brought by Judicial Watch. And the following day, the IRS legal team is expected to try to block outside access to the evidence that Lois Lerner's computer crashed—if such evidence exists.

Tapscott reports the IRS lawyers "will have to explain to U.S. District Court Judge Reggie Walton why the IRS shouldn't be required to let an outside expert evaluate whether emails on the computer hard drives of former IRS official Lois Lerner and six colleagues really are lost forever, as the agency recently told Congress.

“Responding to a motion filed Monday by True the Vote, a Houston-based conservative nonprofit at the center of IRS targeting during the 2010 and 2012 campaigns, Walton issued an order Tuesday to hear arguments next week."

The IRS and its leaders have thus far avoided serious legal scrutiny. The Department of Justice "investigation"—led by a high-dollar Obama donor, overseen by an attorney general who may be the most loyal of the Obama loyalists, who reports to a president who has already declared that there was not even a "smidgen" of corruption—has predictably yielded little.

With others now reviewing the evidence, that could change.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: IRS Lawyers Ready for Busy Week Ahead Stephen F. Hayes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:38 pm »
 :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:42:53 pm »
When Republicans make wild public accusations without evidence to support them, as we've seen in abundance in recent weeks, they make it easier for lazy reporters to move the IRS story from their "potential scandal" box to their "Washington dysfunction" pile.     

Just curious.  I've been out of commission part of the last week. 

What "wild public accusations" are they referring to here?  And who's made them?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:56:53 pm »
Just curious.  I've been out of commission part of the last week. 

What "wild public accusations" are they referring to here?  And who's made them?

Anything a Republican says is, in the eyes of the media, "a wild public accusation".

As far as I know they have made none.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien