Author Topic: Take Action Veteran Access to Care Act of 2014 . Direct VA to contract with non-VA facilities to care for vets  (Read 568 times)

rangerrebew

Take Action Veteran Access to Care Act of 2014
Direct VA to contract with non-VA facilities to care for vets 

The House of Representatives has just passed HR 4810. If passed, the bill will direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to enter into contracts for the provision of hospital care and medical services at non-Department of Veterans Affairs facilities for Department of Veterans Affairs patients with extended waiting times for appointments at Department facilities, and for other purposes.

The following quote was provided by the Chairman, House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs upon receiving news of his bill's passage.

"The news about VA's delays in care crisis just keeps getting worse. The recent deaths of at least 23 veterans have been linked to delayed VA medical care. Another 35 veterans have died while awaiting care in the Phoenix area alone, 57,000 veteran patients have been waiting at least 90 days for their first VA medical appointment, and an additional 64,000 veterans appear to have been denied appointments after requesting them. I cannot state it strongly enough – this is a national disgrace. But for our veterans it is something more – a national emergency. I appreciate the urgency that House leadership displayed in moving this crucial legislation so quickly. I hope the Senate will move swiftly on similar legislation so VA can begin to restore trust with the veterans it is charged with serving."  - Rep. Jeff Miller, Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs

HR 4810 has been passed by the House, it is now headed to the Senate. Please scroll down to send a message to urge your Senators to support this bill.

http://capwiz.com/military/issues/alert/?alertid=63250116&type=ML
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:57:27 pm by rangerrebew »