Author Topic: SCOTUS Hobby Lobby Case...[update Hobby Lobby wins landmark case]  (Read 3521 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: SCOTUS Hobby Lobby Case...[update Hobby Lobby wins landmark case]
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 02:31:57 pm »
I'm actually surprised how it went down.
Same here - but relieved.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 02:33:02 pm »
Just as I expected. 5-4.

Breyer, Sotomayor, Ginsburg and Kagan the four reliable "nays."

Alito, Thomas and Scalia the three reliable "yeas."

Roberts, the most corporation-friendly member of the court, a "yea."

And Kennedy, the swing vote, but because he doubted the legitimacy of the bill itself in NFIB v. Sibelius, also a "yea."

Fortunately this was the case that set the precedent. It has some implications beyond just Obamacare and contraception. All the homosexual activists who are forcing businesspeople to serve them against their religious beliefs now have precedent against them. The business owners now have precedent on their side. Had one of those cases made it to the Court first, because Kennedy tends to sympathize with LGBT cases far more often, the outcome might have been much different.

*Edited
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 02:35:17 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 02:43:45 pm »
This applies narrowly to closely held, family owned Corporations.  It is not an overturning of the whole contraception mandate, but the Court was not asked to do that in the first place.

The Catholic Church still has their challenges to this as well, and I would look for a lawsuit to work its way up to SCOTUS, perhaps in the next term.  This Obamacare mandate battle is not over, and there will be others to come likely for years.

Which doesn't surprise me, both because of Roberts' style and because of the controversial nature of the issues.  At this point it's better for the Court to rule narrowly and not engage in broad, sweeping rationales that might come back to bite it.

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 02:48:06 pm »
One thing it also represents another slapdown for Obama and his imperial presidency where he uses administrative regulations to impose his will on people and evade the separation of powers.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 02:49:13 pm »
Looks like another slap-down to der fuehrer "I can do any damned thing I want" and his crew.

This may push him into coming up with some way of quashing or simply ignoring the judicial branch. He already has Congress cowering before him, now he only has to figure out how to get around the courts and how to end elections.

Then he will become everything he thinks he deserves to be, i.e., God himself.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »
The fact that these decisions were divided by a 5-4 margin, as with so many others in recent times, is testimony to how tenuous our liberty has become.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »
The fact that these decisions were divided by a 5-4 margin, as with so many others in recent times, is testimony to how tenuous our liberty has become.

Not necessarily.  There have been plenty of decisions on vital issues that were decided 5-4.

Oceander

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 03:06:43 pm »
Last week and this have been a very bad two weeks for Obuttocks and the democrats/progs/libs.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »

It is also a very good indicator of just how liberal those 4 votes are and how divided they are.  Ruth Bader Ginsberg managed to stay awake long enough to draft her dissent, but two of the liberal justices did not sign on to her opinion, and wrote their own.

I don't mind speculating that since this term is finished, Justice Ginsberg may well take the opportunity to retire and secure Obama another SCOTUS nomination.  If she pulls the plug soon enough before the election there is a chance of getting the nominee past Harry Reid's Senate.  If the nomination languishes until after the election for any reason, there will be one hell of a fight over getting the confirmation done before the Senate changes hands in January.  God only knows who we could end up with on SCOTUS.  Obama is completely capable of a grudge, in your face nomination.....he could nominate the Hildebeest.......

:smokin:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 03:25:05 pm »
Last week and this have been a very bad two weeks for Obuttocks and the democrats/progs/libs.
It does seem that way, but I still keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.   **nononono*

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 03:57:58 pm »
It does seem that way, but I still keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.   **nononono*

Me too. I don't think Hussein is quite done with his 'fundemental transformation of America'.

What I am most worried about is his last six months in office. I fully expect him to go absolutely crazy, and to start doing insane things that no one ever thought possible in America. Formally team up with Iran? (i mean more than he already has), declare martial law? Who knows? The guy is insane, and he absolutely "hates" America, with everything that he is.

Man, I hope I am wrong. But I expect nothing good from him and his gang. And I do not think that anything is beyond the limit for what he may do.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:06:26 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2014, 04:31:05 pm »
This is why we need to win in 2016.  Imagine a Hillary Clinton Supreme Court.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2014, 05:12:32 pm »
Not necessarily.  There have been plenty of decisions on vital issues that were decided 5-4.
I'm troubled by the kind of issues involved, not by the mere fact of a 5-4 split. In vital ways, I fear that we're one Supreme Court justice away from permanently altering the relationship between citizen and government in America.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 09:46:32 pm »
We won!  Okay.....so what happens now? 

Obama will take the position that it's the crazy Right/Conservative justices that's a problem and they'll make it an issue this November.

Secondly, Obama will treat the women actually affected by the Court's decision as collateral damage.   Small price to pay for the media dividend realized.

I'm happy with the decision.  But these people don't care about the law...they only care about getting what they want.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 09:48:26 pm »
We won!  Okay.....so what happens now? 

Obama will take the position that it's the crazy Right/Conservative justices that's a problem and they'll make it an issue this November.

Secondly, Obama will treat the women actually affected by the Court's decision as collateral damage.   Small price to pay for the media dividend realized.

I'm happy with the decision.  But these people don't care about the law...they only care about getting what they want.

Let there be NO doubt in anyone's mind about that!

But still I like it when they take it in the shorts!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 10:11:24 pm »
This is why we need to win in 2016.  Imagine a Hillary Clinton Supreme Court.

Imagine Hillary Clinton on the Supreme Court.....

Online mountaineer

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 11:22:36 pm »
We're not the only ones expecting the other shoe ...
Bobby Jindal Says What We’re All Thinking About Obama’s Next Move After the Hobby Lobby Decision
by Emily Hulsey   2 hours ago 
IJReview

In a news conference today, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest stated that while the President will work with Congress to “make sure that any women affected by this decision will still have the same coverage of vital health services as everyone else,” he will also consider possible opportunities to act on his own.

Many, including Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, predicted this may happen, tweeting:
Gov. Bobby Jindal        ✔   @BobbyJindal 
Follow
.@BarackObama is now googling “Can an Executive Order override Supreme Court?” #HobbyLobby
In light of today’s other big announcement – that Obama will use executive powers to take on immigration – as well as the wave of additional executive orders that he’s already issued (and for which he is being sued), there is no reason to think that he won’t use the same approach when it comes to abortion coverage.

While the phrase, “If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself” is a noble one, it does not apply here. The Constitution doesn’t give the President of the United States the legal right to bypass laws set by other branches of government- even when those laws make him mad.

Oceander

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 11:43:05 pm »
Imagine Hillary Clinton on the Supreme Court.....

That's cruel

SPQR

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 02:41:59 am »
If women want contraception they should go to the National Organization of Women or EMILY's List. The taxpayer or the employer should not be paying for it

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 02:48:21 am »

Me too. I don't think Hussein is quite done with his 'fundemental transformation of America'.

What I am most worried about is his last six months in office. I fully expect him to go absolutely crazy, and to start doing insane things that no one ever thought possible in America. Formally team up with Iran? (i mean more than he already has), declare martial law? Who knows? The guy is insane, and he absolutely "hates" America, with everything that he is.

Man, I hope I am wrong. But I expect nothing good from him and his gang. And I do not think that anything is beyond the limit for what he may do.

If the GOP takes the Senate in 2014, the Congress can defund many of his initiatives.  It doesn't matter if he doesn't like it;  if Congress doesn't approve the money, he doesn't get it.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

SPQR

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 02:50:59 am »
If the GOP takes the Senate in 2014, the Congress can defund many of his initiatives.  It doesn't matter if he doesn't like it;  if Congress doesn't approve the money, he doesn't get it.

I agree. Planned Parenthood has been a bane around America since 1970. In both of taxpayer cost and legal costs to fight it to keep the program alive. Now is the time to completely defund it. Let the NOWs and EMILY lists of the world pay.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:57:31 am by Trigger »

rangerrebew

White House ConLaw Lawyer Disagrees With SCOTUS On Hobby Lobby
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2014, 09:39:44 am »
- The Daily Caller - http://dailycaller.com -

White House ConLaw Lawyer Disagrees With SCOTUS On Hobby Lobby

Posted By Tristyn Bloom On 2:30 PM 06/30/2014 In | No Comments

“The constitutional lawyer in the Oval Office disagrees with that conclusion from the Supreme Court” in the Hobby Lobby contraceptive mandate case, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said Monday.

The court ruled that for-profit corporations cannot be forced to include contraception in insurance coverage offered to employees, because doing so violates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

WATCH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N2l5j8T48w

“There is a problem that has been exposed, which is that there are now a group of women of an indeterminate size who no longer have access to free contraceptive coverage, simply because of some religious views held, not by them necessarily, but by their bosses,” said Earnest. (RELATED: GOP Cheers Hobby Lobby Decision)

Hobby Lobby sued the government for forcing them to cover possibly abortifacent drugs as part of their insurance plans, which they argued violated their consciences as Christians who believe that life begins at conception.

The drugs are still available outside of employer-provided insurance plans.

Follow Tristyn on Twitter.

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/30/white-house-conlaw-lawyer-disagrees-with-scotus-on-hobby-lobby/

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:40:44 am by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

Hobby Lobby Wins! Liberals Scream "Sky is Falling!"
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:15 am »

Hobby Lobby Wins! Liberals Scream "Sky is Falling!"

By Onan Coca   / 1 July 2014   / 17 Comments   

The Supreme Court has finally handed down their decision on the Hobby Lobby case, and it’s a win for religious freedom!

(If you need a primer on the Hobby Lobby case check out hobbylobbycase.com.)

This is a HUGE win for religious liberty and a big blow to Obamacare. The Court was divided 5-4 down pretty foreseeable lines. The Court’s conservatives sided with Hobby Lobby and the liberals came down against. The decision came down to Justice Kennedy who could swing either way… this time he chose religious freedom.

Justice Samuel Alito wrote the majority opinion (you can see it Here), and here is a little of what he had to say about the case.

“We do not hold, as the principal dissent alleges, that for-profit corporations and other commercial enterprises can ‘opt out of any law (saving only tax laws) they judge incompatible with their sincerely held religious beliefs.’”

“The effect of the HHS-created accommodation on the women employed by Hobby Lobby and the other companies involved in these cases would be precisely zero. Under that accommodation, these women would still be entitled to all FDA-approved contraceptives without cost sharing.”

“Congress provided protection for people like the Hahns and Greens by employing a familiar legal fiction: It included corporations within RFRA’s definition of ‘persons.’ But it is important to keep in mind that the purpose of this fiction is to provide protection for human beings.”

Justice Kennedy said it even better…

“Among the reasons the United States is so open, so tolerant, and so free is that no person may be restricted or demeaned by government in exercising his or her religion. Yet neither may that same exercise unduly restrict other persons, such as employees, in protecting their own interests, interests the law deems compelling. “

CNN interviewed Hobby Lobby’s lawyer and asked the question that every liberal who can’t think about the insane logic of their question has been asking.

CNN: We heard the demonstrators today saying, “Look, the employers should stay out of our business,” that this decision will now essentially bring the employer into what should be a very private decision-making process between a woman and her doctor, now that the justices ruled that Hobby Lobby no longer has to cover four types of contraception. What do you have to say to the other side?

WINDHAM: Hobby Lobby would love to stay out of this and leave this decision to a woman and her doctor. It’s the federal government that told them that they had to be involved and cover these things, even though they violated the Green family’s faith.

Yes, yes and for Heaven’s sake – YES!

This was the point the entire time. Businesses wanted nothing to do with their employees contraceptive decisions – it was the government (with liberals pushing the issue) who was forcing businesses to get involved. Consider this, before Obamacare, Hobby Lobby had nothing to do with their employee’s family planning. After Obamacare… Hobby Lobby was forced to PAY for their employee’s family planning.

So shouldn’t the liberals have been screeching at the government instead of at Hobby Lobby (and the other Christian businesses who’d sued)?

One of our favorite libertarians, Julie Borowski, nailed it with these tweets (one of them in reply to the infamous contraception hoarder Sandra Fluke)…

hobbylobbytweet

hobbylobbytweet2

Exactly right. Liberals also want their employers to pay for toothpaste, athlete’s foot powder, contact lens solution, Q-Tips, combs and brushes… and so much more…

The liberals are still reeling, of course.

They are now saying some pretty nonsensical thing and whining about problem that don’t exist.

(See all of the drama over at HotAir.)

I wonder if liberals will ever realize their failed logic has become theater of the absurd.

I leave you with one more fun thought...

Read more at http://eaglerising.com/7088/hobby-lobby-wins-liberals-scream-sky-falling/#LYa2mzQWq514DrpH.99

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: Hobby Lobby Wins! Liberals Scream "Sky is Falling!"
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2014, 11:39:12 am »
CNN: We heard the demonstrators today saying, “Look, the employers should stay out of our business...”

Proof positive that lefties rarely think through the logic and implications of their policies.  Instead, they measure everything based on whether it improves their ability to impose their will on us whether we like it or not.  Not just in this case.  Note also that liberals are clamoring for OPapaDoc to become a dictator and ignore the congress.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Hobby Lobby Wins! Liberals Scream "Sky is Falling!"
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2014, 01:06:11 pm »
CNN: We heard the demonstrators today saying, “Look, the employers should stay out of our business...”

Proof positive that lefties rarely think through the logic and implications of their policies.  Instead, they measure everything based on whether it improves their ability to impose their will on us whether we like it or not.  Not just in this case.  Note also that liberals are clamoring for OPapaDoc to become a dictator and ignore the congress.

Right on Victor! Right on!  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien