Author Topic: Let Your Right Brain Run Free  (Read 426 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Let Your Right Brain Run Free
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »

Support the USO

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Re: Let Your Right Brain Run Free
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:36:49 AM »
Interesting article.  Fiction is the means for infusing culture with philosophy and policy - i.e., nonfiction - and not something irrelevant.  The sci-fi authors that are mentioned at the very beginning are, in fact, a good model for just that, especially Heinlein, whose books are infused with a very libertarian philosophical view (I don't use the word "political" because his libertarianism was more a part of the very fabric of his stories and not a didactic overlay).

The call for conservatives to start producing good fiction that embodies their philosophical/cultural/political views is long overdue and an absolute must if they - we - wish to make headway against the evils of progressivism/liberalism that have infected American culture.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
While I agree that conservatives should be producing more fiction, more humor (especially important) and informative movies and articles that aren't drier than a 60 year old saltine - just try to get them published or optioned in any major market.

I had a two year fight to get an article on gun owners published. It were snarky, satirical and reasonably well balanced, in that I took the mick out of both sides equally. Gun owners can shoot at me but I can duck, and what are anti-gunners going to do? Hashtag that alias? Between acceptance and it running - most of the pro gun points were gutted completely. The published article has about as much resemblance to the original as you do to a polar bear.

Maybe one of the SuperPACs or a couple of big donors should consider a publishing house and web presence. It costs more than buying a senator, but it'll pay out in the long run.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:10 AM »
While I agree that conservatives should be producing more fiction, more humor (especially important) and informative movies and articles that aren't drier than a 60 year old saltine - just try to get them published or optioned in any major market.

I had a two year fight to get an article on gun owners published. It were snarky, satirical and reasonably well balanced, in that I took the mick out of both sides equally. Gun owners can shoot at me but I can duck, and what are anti-gunners going to do? Hashtag that alias? Between acceptance and it running - most of the pro gun points were gutted completely. The published article has about as much resemblance to the original as you do to a polar bear.

Maybe one of the SuperPACs or a couple of big donors should consider a publishing house and web presence. It costs more than buying a senator, but it'll pay out in the long run.

Setting up alternative publishing houses should be part and parcel of the new emphasis on culture; however, what makes it a little easier now than it was many years ago is that the internet can also be used to bypass the prog/lib publishing houses and disseminate conservative (or, at the least, non progressive/liberal) fiction more directly to people.  Mind you, the internet and e-publishing is not a panacea to cure all of conservatives' publishing ills, but it is an avenue worth exploring and a measure of success online might be just the incentive needed to get conservative/non-prog/lib money interested in funding more traditional publishing houses.  I am pretty certain that such money does not want to get involved in setting up what might be nothing more than glorified vanity presses.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:02:54 AM by Oceander »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »
Mind you, the internet and e-publishing is not a panacea to cure all of conservatives' publishing ills, but it is an avenue worth exploring and a measure of success online might be just the incentive needed to get conservative/non-prog/lib money interested in funding more traditional publishing houses.  I am pretty certain that such money does not want to get involved in setting up what might be nothing more than glorified vanity presses.

That is the huge problem, especially with the net, but to a much bigger extent with traditional publishing.

Big names cost, yet it's big names that get the clicks and eyeballs. Joe blow puts out a good book, solidly conservative and slightly contentious and it gets ignored. Gov. Palin puts out a book and it's national news and talk shows for months. It's exposure.

Matt Drudge has a heck of a following. So does Brietbart. It took years to get that going, and that's basically a news aggregation site and an extended editorial page (with fact checking and real journalism) respectively.

Then take the problem of original content. Writers write. They love the act and the release. They do have this annoying habit of eating and sometimes wanting more than Ramen and a couple of vitamin supplements. The front load cost would be huge - and that's not considering the server and bandwidth, the editors, the submissions procedure (if it's easier to write and submit, you get more writers) coding, the graphic artists. The accountants to make sure everyone gets paid and that the place eventually makes money. The legal team to make sure you don't get sued - and ANY conservative outlet will get sued repeatedly (See Gov. Palin). Marketing - while viral is a thing, you can't rely on it.

It's a catch 22.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
That is the huge problem, especially with the net, but to a much bigger extent with traditional publishing.

Big names cost, yet it's big names that get the clicks and eyeballs. Joe blow puts out a good book, solidly conservative and slightly contentious and it gets ignored. Gov. Palin puts out a book and it's national news and talk shows for months. It's exposure.

Matt Drudge has a heck of a following. So does Brietbart. It took years to get that going, and that's basically a news aggregation site and an extended editorial page (with fact checking and real journalism) respectively.

Then take the problem of original content. Writers write. They love the act and the release. They do have this annoying habit of eating and sometimes wanting more than Ramen and a couple of vitamin supplements. The front load cost would be huge - and that's not considering the server and bandwidth, the editors, the submissions procedure (if it's easier to write and submit, you get more writers) coding, the graphic artists. The accountants to make sure everyone gets paid and that the place eventually makes money. The legal team to make sure you don't get sued - and ANY conservative outlet will get sued repeatedly (See Gov. Palin). Marketing - while viral is a thing, you can't rely on it.

It's a catch 22.

you have to find the bootstraps where you will.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »
The Internet is beyond Guttenberg's wildest imagination.  Do people write for fame or fortune or is it to spread ideas or kernels of ideas?  If it's to earn their living, they are censoring themselves.  If they do so to plant a seed, it may occur beyond their lifetime.  What did Shakespeare earn in his lifetime compared to what those who own his rights (if anyone)?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
ONC - it's a bit of both.

Shakespeare certainly wrote for the money. His company couldn't eat if the theater were not filled with a witty and inventive series of plays. W.S. Gilbert (of Gilbert and Sullivan fame) was obsessed by the receipts their operettas had. Dickens was down on America for a couple of decades because they'd steal and reprint his stuff and he got nothing for it. He was actually one of the main movers behind the idea of copyright.

But as Stephen King says - if you write solely for the money, you are a monkey. You write because you have to. It's a need.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »
ONC - it's a bit of both.

Shakespeare certainly wrote for the money. His company couldn't eat if the theater were not filled with a witty and inventive series of plays. W.S. Gilbert (of Gilbert and Sullivan fame) was obsessed by the receipts their operettas had. Dickens was down on America for a couple of decades because they'd steal and reprint his stuff and he got nothing for it. He was actually one of the main movers behind the idea of copyright.

But as Stephen King says - if you write solely for the money, you are a monkey. You write because you have to. It's a need.

It's funny you should mention Dickens.  I was going to go in a little bit different of a direction on my  reply, re:  self-publishing.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
The last time I let my right brain run free, it took my clothes, leaving me and my left brain nekkid.......... :whistle:
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf