Author Topic: Thousands go without water as Detroit cuts service for nonpayment  (Read 511 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-detroit-water-20140629-story.html#page=1

t has been six weeks since the city turned off Nicole Hill's water.

Dirty dishes are piled in the sink of her crowded kitchen, where the yellow-and-green linoleum floor is soiled and sticky. A small garbage can is filled with water from a neighbor, while a bigger one sits outside in the yard, where she hopes it will collect some rain. She's developed an intricate recycling system of washing the dishes, cleaning the floor and flushing the toilet with the same water.

"It's frightening, because you think this is something that only happens somewhere like Africa," said Hill, a single mother who is studying homeland security at a local college. "But now I know what they're going through — when I get somewhere there's a water faucet, I drink until my stomach hurts."

Offline flowers

Re: Thousands go without water as Detroit cuts service for nonpayment
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:18:51 pm »
‘We are hiding out with no water’: Detroit privatizers deny poor people their right to water

http://sfbayview.com/2014/we-are-hiding-out-with-no-water-detroit-privatizers-deny-poor-people-their-right-to-water/

Privatization is the U.S. corporate answer to everything, and to Detroit, like Chicago and New Orleans and Oakland and hundreds of other U.S. cities, this means the private corporate theft of all of our public resources, including schools, parks, streets and housing. As us poor folks know, the result is we end up water-less, house-less, street-less and park-less – gentrified out of our own neighborhoods, schools and communities and shuttled into the biggest profit-maker of them all: plantation prisons.

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:20:03 pm »

SandyLester June 28, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Detroit run by liberals over 50 years…it’s what you get
Reply ↓
Spoutinghorn June 28, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Give us free water, otherwise we will have to use the money we spend on cel phones, tattoos, nail salons and hair braiding on it!
Reply ↓
Asok Asus June 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Pay no taxes, get free food, free medical care, free housing,free cell phones and now free water. Makes total sense. Where can I sign up? I’m sick to death working 60 hours a week, paying taxes, and not getting any free stuff at all.
Reply ↓
Sailor 1 June 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Here’s The Deal:
Detroit has been run for decades by: Left Wing, Democrat, minority/majority, confiscatory, business hating, union loving, con artists. The City and its pension system has systematically been plundered and underfunded to prop-up what essentially is a criminal enterprise. Its vast and formally efficient/modern infrastructure (including water services)has been starved of sufficient funds for maintenance, etc. so that rip-offs and “excess” fees for city services, taxes, etc. could be diverted to payoffs and vote buying.

Detroit’s minority/majority culture has increasingly victimized and cannibalized itself, as white folks fled. Black folks have stolen from Black folks for so long, and to such a degree, that there is nothing left. NOTHING. Detroit is the parent of its own disaster. Disgraced and degraded by its failure to act responsibly…. to plan ahead, to forgo present gratification for future security.

As with most unsophisticated, basically illiterate, and lower class drones, willingly and stupidly corrupted by welfare, and same-race hustlers, the underclass, third world minority/majority population of Detroit is now cannibalizing itself and crying out for another hand-out, to the UN no less! The inevitable result of this thuggish and embarrassing begging will be to steal from a relatively healthy polity, spreading the cancer of failure wider. Like the crack and heroine addict, the outstretched hand of Detroit’s beggar class will corrupt anything it touches.

Spare us the meaningless lie that it’s the “people’s water”. That is phraseology of a thief. Water is nothing more than a commodity. Its “value”, utility and “ownership” inures to those who can provide/deliver it efficiently/cheaply and maintain a system for reliable delivery, over time. Like so much else, the failure of Detroit and its ever devolving population to maintain its water system is due largely to the failure of its citizens to act in a rational way, preferring the shiny baubles of race-obsessed con artists rooting, like hogs, for votes, spreading the cancer of “victimization” and theft.

And the SF Bay View is selling the same self-defeating snake oil of victimization, theft and puffed-up claims of the “noble contribution” of this taker class, demanding more, and more, and more. Trillions in transfer payments (i.e. welfare) from the makers to the takers, for 60-70 years (gifted to both Black and White) has done virtually nothing to relieve what, in reality, is a failure of right thought/action, not some mysterious, self-defeating fantasy of victimization.
Reply ↓
Rellik June 28, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I get free water and sewage!
I just had to buy a Tank, liner, cover, install an engineered pad – cost $5000.
I just had to buy and install a water pump, accumulator tank, 3 filters, UV sterilizer,install water pipe from the tank to the pump,and wire it all up – cost $4000.
I just had to buy, install roof water collection system ,and install pipes from water tank to the water pump cost $500.

Get system designed, permitted, and contractor to install septic system for waste that is mostly water cost – $10,000.

Maintenance – pump electricity, UV bulb replacement, monthly filter change, gutter cleaning, tank liner and cover replacement every few years, septic pump outs costs average $ 45 monthly.

So there you are, you want free water, that is how you get it.
So in the last 13 years my free water and sewer has cost me $26,520 or $170 a month. Plus I did most the work myself!
At least I don’t have to beg a Democrat to get my services.
Detroiters are beyond pity, no wonder Liberals treat them like dirt.
Reply ↓

comments from the 2nd article.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »
I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure....

:smokin:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 03:33:34 pm »
Let's also point out that the party that runs Detroit as well as most of that State is the same party that makes it illegal to collect rainwater in many states.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:11:38 pm »

Free water IS a human right. That having been said, they can take a bucket down to the lake and fill it to their hearts content. They don't have a "right" to water that has been processed by someone else.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:48 am »
Give us free water, otherwise we will have to use the money we spend on cel phones, tattoos, nail salons and hair braiding on it!
Reply ↓
Asok Asus June 28, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Pay no taxes, get free food, free medical care, free housing,free cell phones and now free water. Makes total sense. Where can I sign up? I’m sick to death working 60 hours a week, paying taxes, and not getting any free stuff at all.
Reply ↓
Sailor 1 June 28, 2014 at 7:37 pm
I agree. We're pretty much at our breaking point when it comes to the demands for more free stuff.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 01:42:39 am »
Coming soon:
The Detroit Water Riots of 2014...