Author Topic: Dem Rep: Birth Control a Right Under Constitution  (Read 643 times)

rangerrebew

Dem Rep: Birth Control a Right Under Constitution
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:20:54 pm »
Dem Rep: Birth Control a Right Under Constitution

"No one has the right to discriminate against a woman because of her own beliefs."

6.29.2014 |

Congressman Xavier Becerra (D-CA) appeared on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace to discuss women's rights verses religious freedom when it comes to business owners supplying birth control under the Obamacare mandate.

Wallace began with a scenario putting him in the ownership of a business as a religious man. He asked, "If I own a company and I have strong religious beliefs, the government can tell me I have to violate those beliefs in terms of providing birth control coverage to my employees?"

Becerra, in an attempt to squelch those fears, assures that the government would never violate a person's religious beliefs unless, of course, those beliefs hinder a woman's access to her rights, i.e. birth-control:

“The government will not violate anyone's religious beliefs, but no one has the right to discriminate against a woman because of her own beliefs.

Wallace gently reminds the congressman that another option could be that the woman find other employment. But Becerra draws a hard line, saying some rights trump others, and then drifts off topic a bit:

“No business should be allowed to discriminate against women. And we've gone beyond that. We should also try to pay them equally for the work that they do that's equal to what a man does.

Wallace steered Becerra back on point and asked, "What about the owner's right to his religious freedom, his religious beliefs?"

Becerra said:

“The owner has a right to his or her religious beliefs. But that doesn't mean you get to discriminate against women if women have different beliefs than what the owner has and the woman wants to exercise her rights under the Constitution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A39Ex3jyJ58

http://www.truthrevolt.org//news/dem-rep-birth-control-right-under-constitution
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:24:53 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline speekinout

Re: Dem Rep: Birth Control a Right Under Constitution
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:13:22 pm »
“The government will not violate anyone's religious beliefs, but no one has the right to discriminate against a woman because of her own beliefs.

What if the woman is a devout Catholic and it's against her beliefs to have an ins. policy that covers abortion? Why can her employer force her to have such a policy? After all, she's a woman, and she has a right to her own beliefs.  :pondering:

(The left doesn't like to acknowledge it, but there *are* Catholic women in this country)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:30 pm »
What if the woman is a devout Catholic and it's against her beliefs to have an ins. policy that covers abortion? Why can her employer force her to have such a policy? After all, she's a woman, and she has a right to her own beliefs.  :pondering:

(The left doesn't like to acknowledge it, but there *are* Catholic women in this country)

I'm betting privately owned businesses will be given a pass to exclude contraceptives and abortafacients and the court will extend that to all religiously-affiliated institutions and businesses as well. 

After all, exemptions have already been made.  Why not a few more?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »
I'm betting privately owned businesses will be given a pass to exclude contraceptives and abortafacients and the court will extend that to all religiously-affiliated institutions and businesses as well. 

After all, exemptions have already been made.  Why not a few more?

Yes, I'm also expecting the SCOTUS to allow businesses to exclude birth control. But if the Libs keep insisting the argument is over women's rights, then I think religious women should have the right to refuse a policy that includes birth control. I don't expect that to be the case - women who work for a company that provides birth control will have to take the policy, and any women in the individual market will have to take an 0bama policy which includes it.

It isn't about women's rights, is it?  :shrug:

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 02:09:43 am »
Don't trust the Supreme Court to do the right thing.

Remember what happened the last time Obamacare came up before this exact same group of 9 individuals.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline raml

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:06 am »
Why is there just Catholic women who are against abortion oh yes take Nancy Pelosi or the Kennedy women and there considered Catholic and they were for abortion. Every real Christian women is against abortion and there are plenty of us you can't be a Christian and believe in abortion it is not possible. Catholic does not mean Christian. Christianity is a belief that Jesus Christ is our savior and died for our sins. We believe in the bible and it's teachings as being the word of God. We believe because the bible says that life begins at conception. This idea that Catholics are the only Christians is so stupid since every Catholic politician supports abortion and they try to say they are Christian but they aren't. A true Christian lives by the written word not a church's denomination. I was raised Catholic went to Cathoilic schools and don't believe what that church emulates.

SPQR

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 03:05:47 am »
Its odd that I do not see birth control written in the Constitution. I would first defund "Planned Parenthood". "Planned Parenthood" uses tax dollars for a persons irresponsibility and the taking of a human life. I would only use abortion in rare cases. Other than that,the tax payer should not being pay for it . If women want birth control they can use organizations like NOW or EMILY List. They can use their donations for birth control.Planned Parenthood has received federal funding since 1970, when President Richard Nixon signed into law the Family Planning Services and Population Research Act, amending the Public Health Service Act. The Supreme Court taking the cases, in the meantime the U.S. Government from your tax dollars to fund abortions
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:15:45 am by Trigger »

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:06:31 am »
Why is there just Catholic women who are against abortion oh yes take Nancy Pelosi or the Kennedy women and there considered Catholic and they were for abortion. Every real Christian women is against abortion and there are plenty of us you can't be a Christian and believe in abortion it is not possible. Catholic does not mean Christian. Christianity is a belief that Jesus Christ is our savior and died for our sins. We believe in the bible and it's teachings as being the word of God. We believe because the bible says that life begins at conception. This idea that Catholics are the only Christians is so stupid since every Catholic politician supports abortion and they try to say they are Christian but they aren't. A true Christian lives by the written word not a church's denomination. I was raised Catholic went to Cathoilic schools and don't believe what that church emulates.

Its called catholic social justice. Much of this Catholic Social Justice thinking originated in Central and South America .Only a person who believes in social justice believes that abortion is all right. Catholic Social Justice is being taught in Catholic schools all around this nation.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:17:23 am by Trigger »