Author Topic: Florida and Texas are expected to take the biggest economic hit from climate change  (Read 760 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Florida and Texas are the two states expected to suffer the greatest economic damage from climate change, according to a new study from Science magazine.

The study used a model that aimed to calculate the future impact on each state’s gross domestic product (GDP) from events including hurricanes, storm surges, changes in agricultural yields, changing electricity demands, changes in mortality rates, changes to the labor supply, rising sea levels and rising crime rates. Researchers calculated that Florida will lose $100.9 billion from GDP due to climate change, while Texas will lose $100.7 billion.

California comes in third place at an expected impact of $59.6 billion. California has recently suffered a severe drought, as well as devastating wildfires, that caused billions of dollars in damages to homes. New York, still recovering from the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy in 2012, comes in fourth place with estimated losses of $54.7 billion.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/florida-and-texas-are-expected-to-take-the-biggest-economic-hit-from-climate-change-2018-04-24
Seems the alarmists are attempting to influence the millions leaving failed blue states for red states like Florida and Texas and have to cook something, anything up.

And a business magazine sells this crap? Time to take it off the subscription list.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

Oh, the Humanity!!!!

You have to by the premise first, that Hurricane Harvey and the other natural disasters that happened, were all due to climate change, which I don't.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Pseudo-science sells.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Sure looks like I'm gonna need this kayak I'm building
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline dfwgator

Offline Frank Cannon

Estimating economic damage from climate change in the United States

Solomon Hsiang1,2,*,†, Robert Kopp3,*,†, Amir Jina4,†, James Rising1,5,†, Michael Delgado6, Shashank Mohan6, D. J. Rasmussen7, Robert Muir-Wood8, Paul Wilson8, Michael Oppenheimer7,9, Kate Larsen6, Trevor Houser6

1Global Policy Laboratory, Goldman School of Public Policy, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
    2National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA, USA.
    3Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences and Institute of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, USA.
    4Department of Economics and Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.
    5Energy Resource Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
    6Rhodium Group, New York, NY, USA.
    7Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA.
    8Risk Management Solutions, Newark, CA, USA.
    9Department of Geosciences, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA.

↵*Corresponding author. Email: shsiang@berkeley.edu (S.H.); robert.kopp@rutgers.edu (R.K.)

↵† These authors contributed equally to this work.

Some honest brokers in information here. No agenda at all.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Some honest brokers in information here. No agenda at all.

Nice research, Frank - thank you.

Now, I have to admit that I had never heard of the Rhodium Group before, and as someone who regularly tracks left-wing public policy groups and their funders, I figured that I'd look into it.

Well, lookeee here.....

In October 2013, (Democrat billionaire Tom) Steyer and fellow billionaires Michael Bloomberg and Henry Paulson commissioned the Rhodium Group, an economic research firm that “specializes in analyzing disruptive global trends,” to produce a 50-page report titled Risky Business: The Economic Risks of Climate Change in the United States. Designed to pressure corporations to adopt climate-change measures, the report was released in June 2014 and was replete with dire predictions of natural catastrophes such as a two-to-four-foot rise in sea levels by the end of the 21st century. Also participating in the project were “Risk Committee” members Henry Cisneros, Gregory Page, Robert Rubin, Donna Shalala, George Shultz, Olympia Snowe, and Alfred Sommer.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn