Author Topic: 16 Ways the Supreme Court Built the Police State and Destroyed Your Rights  (Read 170 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:25:35 PM by Oceander »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Citizens only have a right to remain silent if they assert it. The Supreme Court ruled in Salinas v. Texas (2013) that persons who are not under arrest must specifically invoke their Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination in order to avoid having their refusal to answer police questions used against them in a subsequent criminal trial. What this ruling says, essentially, is that citizens had better know what their rights are and understand when those rights are being violated, because the government is no longer going to be held responsible for informing you of those rights before violating them.

Which means that every person should preface every encounter with a cop with something like this:  "I'm invoking my Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination.  I may answer some of your questions but if I do I am not waiving my Fifth Amendment rights in any way, shape or form.  Now, what was it you wanted to say?"

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
After you picked yourself off the ground with a billy club welt along side your head, the cop would say "I didn't hear what you said" and haul you off to the slammer.
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline olde north church

That's why nuns travel in packs groups of two or more.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline olde north church

But then again, I really don't want to hear the whining when some dirtbag walks on a "technicality".
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf