Author Topic: ‘Spoken Like A True White Guy:’ Whoopi Tries To Shut Down Guest Challenging Political Correctness  (Read 689 times)

rangerrebew

‘Spoken Like A True White Guy:’ Whoopi Tries To Shut Down Guest Challenging Political Correctness

Posted By Brendan Bordelon On 5:46 PM 06/26/2014 In | No Comments

“The View” host Whoopi Goldberg told guest co-host Will Cain that his opposition to politically-correct language was “spoken like a true white guy,” suggesting that Cain is too white and privileged to have an opinion on how we react to negative words.

Cain, an analyst for Glenn Beck’s conservative publication The Blaze, was responding to a rant by British comedian Russell Brand against Fox News. Brand equates Fox to Islamic terrorist group ISIS, actually suggesting that the network’s rhetoric makes it more dangerous than the ultra-violent Sunni organization.

“I think it’s part of the whole trend we have,” Cain said. “We elevate words to the most harmful thing in society. ‘How dare you say something that could offend somebody? How dare you say something that could hurt my feelings?’”

“Let me tell you why, Will,” Whoopi pushed back. “Because we have a history of utilizing words to harm people and hurt people, and people who have been on the other side of it, I think, are at the point where they’re saying, ‘You know what? This is not okay anymore.’”

“And you gotta roll with it,” she declared, “because at some point we all have to grow up.” She specifically singled out sports teams with names like The Fighting Irish and Redskins.

“We’ll all go out of business,” Cain said sarcastically. “We’ll all stop talking. Everybody’s offended all the time, from The Fighting Irish to the Redskins, we’re all offended.”

The liberal audience applauded, forcing Goldberg to raise her voice. “But you know what, that is spoken like a true white guy!” she accused, as the audience gasped. “And I don’t mean it in a bad way.”

“But is it, Will, in your experience — and forget politics,” she asked. “But have you had an experience where your grandmother said, ‘You know, when I first came her this is what they did to me and this is how they treated me and this is what they said to me and this is what they called me?’”

“The argument isn’t –” Cain began.

“No no, but have you had that experience?” Goldberg pressed.

“No, I have not had that experience,” Cain said.

“Well, that’s the difference,” Goldberg claimed.

[h/t Mediaite]

Follow Brendan on Twitter

Article printed from The Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/26/spoken-like-a-true-white-guy-whoopi-tries-to-shut-down-guest-challenging-political-correctness/

Offline speekinout

Someone needs to give Whoopi and her ilk a history lesson. I'm of Irish descent, and my aunt and several more distant relatives came here as indentured servants. That's a slave with a time limit. My grandparents came here after they were married, but they came in steerage and moved to a location where a number of Irish had settled. Because Irish weren't popular with Americans. In fact, there were  want ads saying "Irish need not apply" as late as the 1950's. I have a lot of stories about how unwelcome the Irish were.
But those Irish immigrants were immortalized by having the "paddy wagons" named after them. (Does anyone still use that term? Or did pc correctness finally catch up with that one?)

I think most of the Irish got over it. I think Italian immigrants have similar stories to tell, but theirs don't count either.  :shrug:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
She's auditioning for 'Top Gun'.....aka Barbara Walters' position.

.....or her own show on MSNBC.    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald