Author Topic: Sen. Howard Baker  (Read 572 times)

Offline pjohns

Sen. Howard Baker
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
Sadly, former Sen. Howard Baker Jr. passed away today, at age 88.

His accomplishments were legion:  He served as Senate Minority Leader; as Senate Majority Leader; as White House Chief of Staff; and, eventually, as  U.S. Ambassador to Japan.     

But he is probably best remembered for his query in the Watergate hearings, more than 40 years ago:  "What did the president [Nixon] know, and when did he know it?"

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Sen. Howard Baker
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I saw that Senator Baker had passed earlier today and I remember him well.  One of the biggest problems we have in Washington today is a lack of men of the stature of Howard Baker.  He was the best Chief of Staff President Reagan had, and he was personally responsible for carving out an enormous legacy of accomplishment and leadership that nobody can come close to matching today.

The Nation will miss him.

:patriot:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 09:27:43 PM by Chieftain »

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:46:35 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I saw that Senator Baker had passed earlier today and I remember him well.  One of the biggest problems we have in Washington today is a lack of men of the stature of Howard Baker.  He was the best Chief of Staff President Reagan had, and he was personally responsible for carving out an enormous legacy of accomplishment and leadership that nobody can come close to matching today.

The Nation will miss him.

:patriot:

I remember him oh so well.  A Statesman.  RIP Senator Baker.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:45:02 PM »
I always liked him too! RIP!

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 10:48:45 PM »
Pardon me for speaking ill of the dead, and a man before my time, but wasn't he the liberal Democrats' favorite Republican?

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »
Pardon me for speaking ill of the dead, and a man before my time, but wasn't he the liberal Democrats' favorite Republican?

He was an upstanding Republican Senator who called Nixon on his criminality.

There is not his equal in the Democrat party of today.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:09:58 PM »
He was an upstanding Republican Senator who called Nixon on his criminality.

There is not his equal in the Democrat party of today.

Very true. There was a time when both Dems and repubs actually did their jobs andalso both hated communism, I might add. Today is like the twilight zone **nononono*

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 11:15:15 PM »

There are few things more indigestible than a New York Times obituary for a Republican. No matter how accommodating that person might have been toward his political adversaries, or how carefully solicitous he was toward their opinions, it somehow never quite redeems him in the eyes of our self-appointed arbiters of eternal social value.

Senator Baker was more liberal than I am, to be sure. But having grown up in the '70s and having become a conservative during those tumultuous years, the one thing I recall distinctly about Howard Baker is what a thoughtful, reasoned, decent and gentle man he always seemed to be. Old School. RIP.
Liberalism isn't really about making the world a better place. It's about reassuring the elites that they are good people for wanting to rule over it.

Offline pjohns

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:36:35 PM »

I believe you may be thinking, instead, of Lowell Weicker of Connecticut...

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 07:56:58 AM »
I always saw him as a Senator who kept his priorities and principles intact.  Country. People of Tennessee. Party.

Now, think of today's lot.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 08:40:49 AM »
I always saw him as a Senator who kept his priorities and principles intact.  Country. People of Tennessee. Party.

Now, think of today's lot.

Today's lot.  Me. Me. Me.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline evadRē

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 09:25:12 AM »
Very true. There was a time when both Dems and repubs actually did their jobs and also both hated communism, I might add. Today is like the twilight zone **nononono*
I was going to say, those were the days that you could act together to get things done. Not like today with the rabid dog politicians being the norm.
Howard Baker was a great man.
RIP.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
That's why I ask. Like I said, it was before my time and I don't want to speak ill of something I don't know about.

May the late senator Baker rest in peace.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 07:52:27 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZg4mlbbbh0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZg4mlbbbh0</a>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf