Author Topic: SCIENCE: Ugly People Twice As Likely To Give To Occupy Movement  (Read 589 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

In a groundbreaking new study, researchers at Stanford University have discovered that people who describes themselves as “unattractive” are two times more likely to donate to the Occupy movement.

The scientists behind the study, business professor Margaret Neale and graduate student Peter Belmi, conducted their experiment online. They published the findings recently in a journal called “Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.”

Exactly 492 human guinea pigs participated in the research at issue, which Neale and Belmi describe as a comparison between “attractiveness” and “empathy.”...

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/26/ugly-people-twice-as-likely-to-give-to-occupy-movement/#ixzz35lQgLWBZ

Before you say 'well duh', read their methodology. It was probably written by an occutard.

Oceander

Re: SCIENCE: Ugly People Twice As Likely To Give To Occupy Movement
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 04:59:18 pm »
That's a bit of a stretch; the study seems bogus.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »
I guess I'm an outlier?  :silly:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 09:06:25 pm »
That's a bit of a stretch; the study seems bogus.
The headline, perhaps so, but the study makes perfect sense.

Consider: the study relies on self-identification. People who identify themselves as ugly probably have self-confidence issues. Self-confidence issues lead to an inferiority complex, and when you have an inferiority complex, you have a greater tendency to be envious of others and blame others for your problems. That is the mindset at the root of the Occupy movement.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 09:34:40 pm »
The headline, perhaps so, but the study makes perfect sense.

Consider: the study relies on self-identification. People who identify themselves as ugly probably have self-confidence issues. Self-confidence issues lead to an inferiority complex, and when you have an inferiority complex, you have a greater tendency to be envious of others and blame others for your problems. That is the mindset at the root of the Occupy movement.

Good analysis.

I think you may be on to something.   :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »
Good analysis.

I think you may be on to something.   :beer:

Seconded -  :beer:

Though I might refine one aspect:

People who identify themselves as ugly probably have self-confidence issues.

I'd change that to "People who worry about themselves as being ugly probably have self-confidence issues."

It all in perception.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:45:55 pm »
Seconded -  :beer:

Though I might refine one aspect:

I'd change that to "People who worry about themselves as being ugly probably have self-confidence issues."

It all in perception.

The second point is valid:  there are plenty of ugly people with superiority complexes out there.  Cases in point:  Joe "plugs" Biden and Hillary "fugly" Clinton.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:08:44 am »
The second point is valid:  there are plenty of ugly people with superiority complexes out there.  Cases in point:  Joe "plugs" Biden and Hillary "fugly" Clinton.

And James Carville, who is currently making a fool of himself on O'Reilly....    :smokin:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.