Author Topic: High court limits president's appointments power  (Read 720 times)

Oceander

High court limits president's appointments power
« on: June 26, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »
 WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court has limited a president's power to make temporary appointments to fill high-level government jobs.

The court said Thursday that President Barack Obama exceeded his authority when he invoked the Constitution's provision on recess appointments to fill slots on the National Labor Relations Board in 2012.

The justices said in their first-ever consideration of the Constitution's recess appointments clause that Congress gets to decide when it is in recess and that there was no recess when Obama acted. The president said he made the appointments in the face of Republican refusal to allow the NLRB to function.

Oceander

Re: High court limits president's appointments power
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:10:17 pm »
Good news!

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:21 pm »
Good news!

A very big understatement  on your part if you ask me!  It's at the very least GREAT news!

And I'll bet there is a real snit fit taking place in the White House about now!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:35 pm »
So are those NRLB members (I recall it was two appointed, but not totally sure) going to be removed?

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 02:21:49 pm »
So are those NRLB members (I recall it was two appointed, but not totally sure) going to be removed?

I believe that those members Obama appointed in 2012 will be removed and, even more importantly, every action taken by the board since that took place is not valid!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 02:25:15 pm »
I believe that those members Obama appointed in 2012 will be removed and, even more importantly, every action taken by the board since that took place is not valid!

I agree that they should be removed, and also that the board's actions with them as members should also be set aside, I am just wondering if it is going to happen....  or just be ignored?  (I am just not sure what to expect.)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:25:16 pm »

Exactly right, but do you think the Obama Administration is just going to accept that theory??  I'll bet you a burger they try and bluff SCOTUS just like they bluff Congress.

The bottom line here is who is going to enforce this??  Who is going to do the removing??  Eric Holder's Just-Us??

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:25:43 pm by Chieftain »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:29:45 pm »
Exactly right, but do you think the Obama Administration is just going to accept that theory??  I'll bet you a burger they try and bluff SCOTUS just like they bluff Congress.

The bottom line here is who is going to enforce this??  Who is going to do the removing??  Eric Holder's Just-Us??

Point well taken! This will, in fact be in the courts for YEARS to come and especially so if he decides to go "in your face" on this!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:38:54 pm »
Obama and Co just cheat their way through every "scandal" and stay on their charted course toward our destruction.  I'm at the point where you realize that the good guys that were supposed to stop this kind of thing are being thwarted at every turn. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 02:43:16 pm »
Point well taken! This will, in fact be in the courts for YEARS to come and especially so if he decides to go "in your face" on this!

Based on his record to date on virtually every issue, that's exactly what I expect.  He has no more use for the Courts than Roosevelt did, and he has had no compunction about ignoring the laws he doesn't like.  This case is all about exactly that and I expect they will fight this tooth and nail, even thought there is no appeal once SCOTUS rules.

Worth keeping an eye on.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:43:32 pm by Chieftain »

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:43:50 pm »
Obama and Co just cheat their way through every "scandal" and stay on their charted course toward our destruction.  I'm at the point where you realize that the good guys that were supposed to stop this kind of thing are being thwarted at every turn.

The 'good guys' (meaning us) are being sold out by the media.  The media holds the power to turn public opinion and they refuse.

These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

Now... figure out who controls those corporations and you have your answer...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 02:50:30 pm »
The 'good guys' (meaning us) are being sold out by the media.  The media holds the power to turn public opinion and they refuse.

These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America

Now... figure out who controls those corporations and you have your answer...

It's that power - to turn the public opinion - that has turned most of our society, especially our politicians, into sniveling cowards that make every move based on what the media will say about them. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 03:00:39 pm »

I don't think so viz. the actions taken by the board.  those that are challenged by a party with an interest in the decision will probably be undone, but those that aren't challenged will most likely stand.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 03:07:19 pm »
I don't think so viz. the actions taken by the board.  those that are challenged by a party with an interest in the decision will probably be undone, but those that aren't challenged will most likely stand.

I agree and stand corrected. Any board ruling that isn't challenged will no doubt stand.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 03:10:23 pm »
It's that power - to turn the public opinion - that has turned most of our society, especially our politicians, into sniveling cowards that make every move based on what the media will say about them.

Pols have always been sniveling cowards in the face of public opinion and always will be.  It's just the nature of the beast. 

The problem is that media decides what is 'news' or 'entertainment' and how it will be portrayed and that is what drives public opinion, both politically and socially.  Like the Lewinski scandal... in my home we never ever even mentioned 'oral sex', yet it was on the 'news' constantly during the Clintoon years.  And what did we end up with?  A whole generation of young women who give bjs at the drop of a hat because they were 'conditioned' by the 'news'.

Media controls what political opinion and what themes are announced in your living room every day.

It's like inviting George Soros to speak in your home every day all day.

And we wonder why we have problems...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan